PDA

View Full Version : newbie hiker - lessons learned

shorembo
08-17-2011, 20:23
I just got back from my first AT hike... a 4 day hike south from Damascus to Wautuga Lake. It was pretty cool but was not quite what I expected.

What Worked ----

My homemade G4 backpack
The cheap blue pad that I accordianed with ducttape. It was the perfect lounge chair whenever I stopped. Which kept my hiking pants in good condition.
The 25 lb pack weight. I could have taken more weight if need be.
The other hikers. It suprised me how much the people I met along the way enhanced the hike. Except for the drunk guy at the hostel who periodically screamed in his sleep.
Taking two sets of clothes....one for hiking and one for the campsite.
Synthetic clothes...my hiking clothes were not fully dry in the morning but dried out quickly once I started hiking
The zipper leg pants. I was suprised that I enjoyed hiking in long pants.
The New Balance Trail Runners. Didn't miss my hefty hiking boots at all.
Hiking in the rain with just a Tilley hat for rain protection. I did not get cold until I got to the shelter and at that point, I changed into my dry campsite clothes.
My $25 Wenzel tent. I was easy to setup and it suprisingly survived an all-night downpour without getting me soaked.
Aqua Mira drops and tablets.
Tang. It's orange, sweet, and delicious. A hiking nector.
Gold Bond Powder
Taking my 20 year old son....he ended up being good company.
What Didn't Work ---

The hiking was harder than I expected. The ups and downs took alot out of me.
My knees....I cut the hike from 5 days to 4 days because my 47 yr old knees were taking a beating from the PUDS.
Food. This was really confusing. I took 8 lbs for 5 days and ended up eating a less than 3 lbs in 4 days. I took stuff I didn't have to cook...nuts, dried fruit, twizzlers, cheese, crackers, sausage, tuna, peanut butter, nutella, etc. I wasn't hungry at all. I am not sure if it was because I really wasn't hungry or I didn't want any of the food I had. And it wasn't just me. My son felt the same way. We didn't feel any hunger pains until we went to McD's after the hike. At that point, we suddenly became starving.
The trail....at one point it was 32 straight miles without an overlook or view or stream. AND...it still contained PUDS.
Rainprotection for my backpack. I need a cover.
An umbrella. I have no clue *** I was thinking.
Trying to sleep in a shelter. It's too hard, too quiet, and too crowded.
Taking my 20 year old son....there were times...ugh.
Next time I go (and there will be a next time) I will make the following changes ---

Add a lightweight cooking option. Bring less food but more appetizing options. I could get by with 1lb per day of quality dehydrated food.
Add a third quart gatorade bottle for water. I could use it for collecting water out of puddles.
Add a book!!! I was so freaked out over weight that I did not take the paperback I was reading. The extra weight would have been worth it during some of the downtimes.
Take a deck of cards. I didn't know there were picnic tables at most of the shelters.
A better hiking plan. Find a section that has an occasional landmark like a stream or view....something. It would have improved the trip.
Bring some Icy Hot for the knees.
Invite my son.

Jefe
08-17-2011, 21:00
Nice post. I have heard, (but not experienced yet), that a hiker loses their appetite during the first few days of a hike. Don't know why, just heard it happens. I have done some Adventure Races where I only think about the next mile and forget to eat, and I know what you felt when you saw the Mc'Ds. I'm planning a 9 day hike in Sept from Harpers going NOBO. I will be going solo for this one. The family did a short one up in PA in June and we all had fun, but I gotta see what I can do alone. I see some good points you make and will take them into consideration for my hike.

See ya in the woods,
Jefe

vamelungeon
08-17-2011, 21:05
This is a great post! Lots of useful info. Just quickly running through it- I always take too much food. Shelters suck. I use a "Sierra cup" for dipping water into my Gatorade bottles. I always take a book. I spent last night READING because I have arthritis and insomnia- so I read. Somebody needs to kick the crap out of the guys who think PUDS are funny. They aren't if you have arthritic knees and hips.

Lone Wolf
08-17-2011, 21:14
hmmm. i did the same hike one year with a full pack in 12 hours. there's no real climbing in that stretch. try gorham, n.h. to east b. hill rd for a tough 40 miler

ChinMusic
08-17-2011, 21:15
The hiking was harder than I expected. The ups and downs took alot out of me.

The AT IS harder than most people think. FYI, that section you just did is considered very tame. It is called the Tennessee Turnpike and thrus often do Watauga to Damascus in one day as a challenge to themselves.

vamelungeon
08-17-2011, 21:29
I hike VERY slowly. I'm not a thru-hiker (yet) and I'm in lousy shape. This was a FIRST hike. If I were the OP I wouldn't worry about how long it took. You do the best you can.

ChinMusic
08-17-2011, 21:35
I hike VERY slowly. I'm not a thru-hiker (yet) and I'm in lousy shape. This was a FIRST hike. If I were the OP I wouldn't worry about how long it took. You do the best you can.

Absolutely. Don't let the bravado of some posters get to you. The OP did good. Just being out there is good.

That said, that section is pretty easy when you compare it to most other areas on the AT. It's a great starter section. BUT, being an easy section on the AT doesn't mean it won't get your attention.

Blissful
08-17-2011, 21:48
Good post.
Good intro to AT hiking that most do not consider when they plan to go out.
Suggest all would-be hikers look at it.

BTW - did you take hiking poles? Easy mileage is a must the first week out. Esp for us over 40. Also glucosomine and a cho pat duo knee brace really helps my knee issues.

I can tell you a tent like that would not make it much more than what you did and esp in other season with cold temps. Esp if you dislike shelters. I like a good tent.

4eyedbuzzard
08-17-2011, 21:50
If the fastest you ever hike is 1 mph average and 10 miles per day you're still doing better than what 99% of the population does every day. Just hike at your own pace and enjoy being out there. How far and how fast don't mean anything.

Blissful
08-17-2011, 21:53
hmmm. i did the same hike one year with a full pack in 12 hours.

As part of a thru or without any hiking under your belt - fresh out of the house as a new hiker?
Many I know do it on their thru as part of the one day challenge. :)

DLANOIE
08-17-2011, 22:04
Your comment about your appetite on the trail is true for me as well. I dont eat much for some reason early on during a long hike. That McD's comment made me chuckle...A good post, thanks for sharing.

HiKen2011
08-17-2011, 22:37
Great post! Glad you had a good time and also learned and shared with us/me. Thanks again.

shorembo
08-17-2011, 23:32
When people post that the section I hiked was one of the easier sections of the trail and can be done alot faster..... well.... that is exactly my point. I chose that section to hike precisely because it was suppose to be easy. I expected the hike to just be a cruise. But it wasn't the case.

I chalk it up to my FLA life. At home I can run 8 miles at 10 minute miles. And, frankly, even when hiking on slight grades or small PUDS I was ok and was able to push it at a very fast pace if I wanted. But once the gradient got to a certain point, I just crashed, regardless of whether going up or down. That was my big suprise.

ChinMusic
08-17-2011, 23:50
When people post that the section I hiked was one of the easier sections of the trail and can be done alot faster..... well.... that is exactly my point. I chose that section to hike precisely because it was suppose to be easy. I expected the hike to just be a cruise. But it wasn't the case.

I chalk it up to my FLA life. At home I can run 8 miles at 10 minute miles. And, frankly, even when hiking on slight grades or small PUDS I was ok and was able to push it at a very fast pace if I wanted. But once the gradient got to a certain point, I just crashed, regardless of whether going up or down. That was my big suprise.

Yep, welcome to the AT. Ain't it great????

Just put it in your head to try and keep moving, no matter how slowly....and I mean SLOW at times. I have learned that 4" steps eventually get you to the top. It took me awhile to grasp that concept and just smile.

Wombat Farm
08-18-2011, 01:23
Sounds like you had a perfect time! Just getting out and not going home saying "screw that - I'll take up knitting" means, well, you're a hiker! And...ALL hikers complain and get sore at some point or another...is the fun of it all. Enjoy your next hike!

Trailweaver
08-18-2011, 02:00
I always keep a diary of my trips, and when I get home I enter it on the computer. I make notes of things I enjoyed, things I didn't, what food I ate, what worked as far as fixing the food, etc. I also make notes of things to improve on for the next trip. It helps to look over that once in a while.

I also have problems eating when backpacking (and also did when bicycling). Exercising tends to make me slightly nauseated, and so I find it difficult to eat. Then I start to run into problems because I need to eat to have some energy, and can't eat because I'm sick, and I'm feeling weak because I'm not eating. . . etc., etc., etc. I wish I could find a solution for all that, but so far, I haven't. The best I seem to be able to do is to nibble on food I can eat while I'm hiking - gorp, cookies, nutrition bars. It's not the best, but it helps.

Sounds like you had a good time in spite of the PUDs. They are annoying, I know. No one really loves them.

wcgornto
08-18-2011, 03:42
Thru hiking appetite is like the sound barrier. You may not be tat hungry for some days or perhaps a couple of weeks. But once you punch through, your appetite goes off the charts. At least mine did ... somewhere as I was approaching Monson going SOBO.

Its me again
08-18-2011, 06:33
Thank you for sharing what worked and what didn't. Great advice! I'm hoping to do a thru hike (but I've always dreamed big!) someday before my knees give out.
I started cycling in 2005 and enjoyed the rails-to-trails throughout Ohio. As I built up my endurance, I recall asking my dad when I was about 10 or 12 years old how long it'd take to ride a bike from our house in Mansfield to my aunt's house in Pittsburgh, PA (175 miles). He said, "about a week or two". After I did my first 'century' ride (100 miles), I made it a goal to attempt the 175 miles in one day. In 2006, I did it! From sunrise to about an hour after dark, I completed my goal. I did it again in 2007.
On August 6, I was returning home to FL from visiting family back in Ohio and wanted to walk 'about a mile' of the AT just so I can say I walked part of it. Starting in Springer Mountain, I set off on my solo excursion and couldn't stop walking! Around every turn and over every hill it looked like I was walking into a painting or something. I estimate I walked between 6 to 7 miles each way (well past the sign that said 4.1 miles). I had shin splints for about 3 days but I didn't mind them at all--they just served as a reminder to get out there and get walking more--there's a 2,180 mile trail waiting for me!

daddytwosticks
08-18-2011, 07:23
Great post...thanks for sharing. I experience the EXACT same thing with regards to appetite and food. Also, consider hiking sticks/poles for the knees...helps me tons. :)

Brewerbob
08-18-2011, 08:18
Shorembo,
Just recently did 4 days with my 16 yr old son. Similar experience. I've got a question for you tho. I ALWAYS over pack. I think I was at 40 lbs and my son was at 30 pounds to start with (it was going to be a 7 day hike). What were you guys carrying for a 25 pound weight?

I gotta cut down on the food for sure. And where we were hiking there was no reason to carry 4 liters of water. I forgot to bring the new sleeping bag for him. Used one of the old ones laying around the house. I need to give it another try with him and a much lighter pack.

Old Hiker
08-18-2011, 08:31
Greetings, fellow FL flatlander!

Great post - pretty much what happens every year on my Scout Troop's section hike. One major difference is: we stop at a Golden Corral for lunch on the trip home - THAT'S when the appetite kicks in. I'd planned largish meals, but ended up eating a can of chicken or package of raman + 1/3 box of wheat thins, usually. I also had the mini-bel cheeses and would eat a couple of those for mealtimes. I had a couple of Mt House, but really wasn't hungry, either in the AM or PM. The blueberry cheesecake was GREAT!!! I spit the blueberries out, as they were more like dry raisins.

I ALWAYS hike in long pants now. I also have Permethrin impregnated sox from LL Bean!

20 year old? Try six 12 year olds who have never hiked long distance before, other than 10 - 15 mile practice hikes in FL!

The book was important to me, esp. after the sun went down, I was exhausted, but still couldn't sleep. 10 minutes of reading put me down with no prob. The boys had a deck of cards that helped keep them occupied before bedtime.

Venice? Came down there from Valrico before summer camp to get some shark teeth for my geo-cache bags! Had a great 4 mile hike down the beach!

shorembo
08-18-2011, 09:06
Shorembo,
Just recently did 4 days with my 16 yr old son. Similar experience. I've got a question for you tho. I ALWAYS over pack. I think I was at 40 lbs and my son was at 30 pounds to start with (it was going to be a 7 day hike). What were you guys carrying for a 25 pound weight?

I gotta cut down on the food for sure. And where we were hiking there was no reason to carry 4 liters of water. I forgot to bring the new sleeping bag for him. Used one of the old ones laying around the house. I need to give it another try with him and a much lighter pack.

I was just a little crazy about weight.
Homemade G4 Pack - 12 oz.
Tent - 2.5 lbs
Pad - 12 oz.
Sleeping Bag 3 lbs

So base weight was 7 lbs. Including what I was wearing, I only took 2 shirts, long pants, running shorts, 3 underwear, 4 socks, and a fleece jacket. All the stuff was simple synthetic stuff which made it relatively light weight.

Add on first aid supplies, hygiene stuff, knife, map, and flashlights, and I was at around 14 lbs.

Add 8 lbs of food and up to 2 quarts of water and the final starting weight was around 25 lbs.

Brewerbob
08-18-2011, 10:31
I was just a little crazy about weight.
Homemade G4 Pack - 12 oz.
Tent - 2.5 lbs
Pad - 12 oz.
Sleeping Bag 3 lbs

So base weight was 7 lbs. Including what I was wearing, I only took 2 shirts, long pants, running shorts, 3 underwear, 4 socks, and a fleece jacket. All the stuff was simple synthetic stuff which made it relatively light weight.

Add on first aid supplies, hygiene stuff, knife, map, and flashlights, and I was at around 14 lbs.

Add 8 lbs of food and up to 2 quarts of water and the final starting weight was around 25 lbs.I need to reweigh stuff and write it down somewhere.

My backpack is some Eagle Creek thing (they make suitcases of all things). It's 70-80L pack and big.
Pack 5 lbs 4 oz (IIRC).
Tent is 3 lbs 14 oz (2 man)
Pad is 2 lbs 9 oz
Sleeping 3 lbs

Map, flashlight, hygene, and knife weren't much. Skipped the first aid. I have fingernail clippers on my keychain (splitter removal), the knife, and shirts if I need a bandage bad enough.

Stove 3.75 oz
gas 8 oz
pan ??? (couple of small loaf pans)
4 shirts, 3 underwear, 4 pair of socks, 2 flannel (but thin) shirts ??? (sport shirts and shorts)
DSLR is close to 4 lbs.
Everything else was food.

Plodderman
08-18-2011, 13:33
Good post one of the most helpful I've read in awhile. I section hike every year a week or two and end up doing around 100 - 120 miles, I agree on the food deal. I never each as much as I think I will and most of the time I just am not hungry so I pack snickers bars and eat couple everyday with oatmeal, power bars and some tuna with packages of mayo and relish.

adamkee11
08-18-2011, 14:01
Random question...what are PUDS?

Blissful
08-18-2011, 14:27
PUDS - pointless ups and downs

Brewerbob
08-19-2011, 07:00
PUDS - pointless ups and downsAre they really pointless? Following a ridge, it's going to happen. If the trail is going out of its way to hit them then fine.

Lemni Skate
08-19-2011, 08:03
What the AT represents in terms of difficulty really depends on the weather and mostly on the hiker. The stud, in shape, ex-marines who have thru-hiked 6 times will constantly tell you how easy it is. "It's not really a hill." When you read accounts of thru-hikes you inevitably get to peoples tales of 30 mile days. People on here throw around 20 mile days like any sap should be able to do it.

Most of us once or twice a year hikers find the AT tough. I have been more exhausted than at any time in my life after 10 or 12 mile days on the trail. I love it and I know that once I finally get to thru hike I'll get in better shape, but let's face it: I'm 48 and overweight and have battled gout for years now. It'll never be an easy journey for me. Of course, if it were, I wouldn't bother.

You have to get in shape for the trail. My daughter's cross country team has the same dynamic. Seniors running 5K's in the low 16's dance around like bunnies after they run our 10 mile loop in an hour. New kids out on the team collapse in a pile of tears and sweat somewhere around mile 6 to 8. New hikers shouldn't be trying big miles unless they are already in awesome shape from some other sport, and even then I think they are usually surprised by how tough it is to haul a 25 pound pack up and down mountains. I know I still am every time I go out.

bigcranky
08-19-2011, 08:09
Are they really pointless? Following a ridge, it's going to happen. If the trail is going out of its way to hit them then fine.

Many times they seem pointless. If the trail climbs steeply to a crest with no views, then drops steeply to a saddle with no views, when it could have side-hilled around, then it's probably a PUD.

DLANOIE
08-19-2011, 08:13
Moody mountain is my all time favorite PUD. Sorry for the hijack.

Brewerbob
08-19-2011, 09:00
Many times they seem pointless. If the trail climbs steeply to a crest with no views, then drops steeply to a saddle with no views, when it could have side-hilled around, then it's probably a PUD.Ok, that makes sense.

BigHodag
08-19-2011, 20:21
Congrats on completing a first section hike. I did mine in 2010 at 52. Most of your lessons learned matched mine. I lost my appetite for about 3-days and my five day food supply lasted seven. I covered less miles than planned, was tired at the end of every day, but had a blast and did a second long section this year.

This year I applied my lessons learned and had a better hike with a lighter pack and better matched food. I didn't lose my appetite until the fourth day, but some hot meat loaf and orange juice in Unionville, NY revved it back up and we finished strong, albeit with badly beat up feet from the first part of southern NY.

I know that next years section hike from Kent, CT south will go even smoother and be the best yet. Yours will likely be also.

skinewmexico
08-19-2011, 20:32
My 53 year old knees can't take downhills for very long without trekking poles.

paistes5
08-20-2011, 10:57
hmmm. i did the same hike one year with a full pack in 12 hours. there's no real climbing in that stretch. try gorham, n.h. to east b. hill rd for a tough 40 miler

BFD.

This post adds to this thread how?

GlitterHiker
08-21-2011, 08:33
Thank you - I enjoyed your post. Especially like the last bullet in what to take "next time" - I'm glad it worked out overall for you. You'll have incredibly special memories to last a lifetime.

dmperkins74
08-24-2011, 13:18

I've been section hiking for a few years now, day hikes until recently. I ALWAYS underestimate how hard it the hike will be. You just get used to dealing with it and huffing through it and feeling rewarded for the effort with views, solitude, and pride. As for good, I took my 2nd over night recently (2 nights in new york) and packed WAY too much food. Was surprised just like you at how little I wanted to eat.

hikerboy57
08-24-2011, 13:39
part of the appetite thing is from adrenaline, as well as endorphins, but part is usually due to dehydration. Usually the first few days out on the trail, I need a lot more water than normal, as my body works harder till i get ny trail legs under me. I find when I get to camp, Ill drink a healthy amount of water well before I stt thinking about food.after relaxing for a while, and rehydrated, I find my appetite returns.But I still consistently bring too much food. Im always thinking Id rather have more than not enough, but I hate myself when Im carrying several pounds of food off trail .My knees arent getting any younger either, and after a week in the whites and maine, Im thinking Ill get a set of poles for my section hike next year.
And dont listen to the critics.Any time spent hiking is certainly better than typing.

scope
08-24-2011, 14:04
Some good insights, good post, but I have to ask...

Why do ups and downs come as a surprise when you're hiking in the mountains? Ever looked at the area from a satellite view?

ChinMusic
08-24-2011, 14:25
Some good insights, good post, but I have to ask...

Why do ups and downs come as a surprise when you're hiking in the mountains? Ever looked at the area from a satellite view?

For a flatlander, like myself, hiking the AT was a total shock as to how hard it was to do a sustained climb. It was an experience I had never gone through. It was frustrating. Now that I have done it a ton of times it still is tough but not frustrating.

In other words, I knew there were mountains. I just had no idea how hard it was going to be.

rmpavlik
08-24-2011, 22:02
Great Post. I did my first overnites north of Damascus thru the Mt Rogers area with my dad about 35 years ago. We got poured on too. Great memories. I second the comments on trekking poles. I'm in my 50's now and I can still do miles but hills really take it out of me. Poles and making a conscience effort to slow down on up hills really makes a difference. You've definitely got it figured out by packing so light. I can never seem to get there. Appetite change is common. Me and my buddies have condensed things down to four food groups: oatmeal, granola bars, brandy and Advil.

Mariano
08-24-2011, 22:13
i absolutely love this post! lol... it's great! i use the same tent... wenzel starlite, right? i threw the 2 front poles away and replaced them with my walking sticks..
it's great you took your son to a hike.. i wish my dad would do the same.

thanks for sharing your experience !

happy trails..

Mags
08-24-2011, 22:13
If the fastest you ever hike is 1 mph average and 10 miles per day you're still doing better than what 99% of the population does every day. Just hike at your own pace and enjoy being out there. How far and how fast don't mean anything.

...and that about sums it up!!!!!

Hope the OP has many more mountain adventures. :)

shorembo
08-25-2011, 23:08
Mariano....my tent was a starlight. It poured the last night and I was incredibly worried that my cheap tent was going to leak bad. It misted up some but otherwise it worked. BTW...How do you get poles to work on the starlight? Are the poles adjustable length? I made a walking stick during my trip and it helped some but I think if I can integrate poles into the tent, that may be the way to go.

Also, to everyone else, I don't get much practice on hills around my house. My home is at an elevation of 15ft above sea level which is considered quite high for my neighborhood.

Oh, and here is a picure of the only hill around my place.