PDA

View Full Version : MSR whisperlite

HiKen2011
08-17-2011, 22:41
Anyone still use this stove? I have one and am considering using it for cooler/colder hiking. Great stove!

Rasty
08-18-2011, 00:28
Still using mine for close to twenty years. Had to replace a few parts last year. Works great especially if your cooking is more involved than boiling water. But I have to admit I would like to switch to a Caldera ulc.

magneto
08-18-2011, 06:56
Mine works really well too. Burns all sorts of fuel, even unleaded if need be. You can even weld with it in an emergency...

elray
08-18-2011, 07:28
Faithful Whisperlite users please forgive me but I'm really surprised that anyone still fusses with this "Rube Goldberg" stove in this day and age when there are simpler, cleaner and safer alternatives out there. With the increased availability of reliable compressed fuel and the simplicity of brands like MSR Pocket Rocket and Snowpeak carrying liquid gas seems like a real hassle. At the end of a day's hike all I want to do is to turn the valve and cook!

bobp
08-18-2011, 10:30
Faithful Whisperlite users please forgive me but I'm really surprised that anyone still fusses with this "Rube Goldberg" stove in this day and age when there are simpler, cleaner and safer alternatives out there. With the increased availability of reliable compressed fuel and the simplicity of brands like MSR Pocket Rocket and Snowpeak carrying liquid gas seems like a real hassle. At the end of a day's hike all I want to do is to turn the valve and cook!
It's tough to beat white gas for reliable BTUs for weight. The Pocket Rocket is sweet, but you find yourself with 3 or 4 partially full (do I have enough for X days in here?) cannisters. And while strides have been made, I've still seen folks have problems in cold temperatures. It's hard to beat a soda/beer/Venom can stove for simplicity, but they don't do much more than boil water.

I too find Whisperlites to be a bit "Rube Goldberg" and finicky. OTOH, since my preferred flamethrower is a SVEA 123, you could consider me to be a retro-grouch. One thing about the SVEA -- nobody else needs an alarm clock in the morning :^)

raiffnuke
08-18-2011, 10:53
I use my all the time in the winter to melt/boil snow.

magneto
08-18-2011, 13:25
I was introduced to SVEA stoves 30 years ago. Fond memories. As I recall, they only have two settings: off and blowtorch...

jersey joe
08-18-2011, 14:34
I still use my whisperlite, great little stove. I typically just use it to boil water so the lack of simmer is not a problem for me.
I am not a big fan of cannister stoves either.

Toolshed
08-18-2011, 16:05
I've been using a Whisperlight for over 20 years now - Back in the early 90's it was my everyday backpacking stove as well as my winter stove. Then around 2000 (for 3-season backpacking) I started using Pepsi Can Stoves and then again around 2005 Canister stoves. I like the moronproof ease-of-use of the canister.

However, I still use my w-lite for winter and for peaks trips. It is a great stove and a great companion. I see people fiddle with them, but in al my years of use and gallons upon gallons of water boiled, I never had issues other than replacing valves, pump handles and o-rings.

peakbagger
08-18-2011, 17:01
They are heard to beat for winter stoves for small groups. I recommend a piece of license plate for a stove base as in cold conditions (-20) they can reflect enough heat off the bottom of the pot to melt snow and create enough humidity to freeze up the jet.

lemon b
08-19-2011, 08:44
I use the whisperlite for over 4 day hikes because I need to see how much fuel is left. Weekend hikes I use a pocketrocket. I've had to change out parts on the whisperlite but find that a simple task.

sweeper
08-19-2011, 10:21
isobutane works great as long as its above 50

leaftye
08-19-2011, 14:09
MSR has announced the Whisperlite Universal for the coming year that still runs gasoline, white gas and kerosene, but now also works with fuel canisters. It may be worth waiting for. I may swap my Whisperlite Internationale for it.

Trailweaver
08-20-2011, 01:54
I use the whisperlite. . . I like to cook and eat well on the trail and I can adjust the flame well with this stove. I've never had a problem with it (once I got used to using it). I can tell you that I use reallllly bad language when I find those empty cannisters at campsites along the trail. I pack them out, but now REI doesn't take them any more, and I'm not sure where to take them. That's one reason I didn't buy a cannister burning stove. That, and you can't tell how much fuel you have left.

leaftye
08-20-2011, 02:37
I use the whisperlite. . . I like to cook and eat well on the trail and I can adjust the flame well with this stove. I've never had a problem with it (once I got used to using it). I can tell you that I use reallllly bad language when I find those empty cannisters at campsites along the trail. I pack them out, but now REI doesn't take them any more, and I'm not sure where to take them. That's one reason I didn't buy a cannister burning stove. That, and you can't tell how much fuel you have left.

REI sells a tool made by Jetboil to pierce and fully empty the canister. Do that and you can throw the fuel canister away like any other metal can.

hikin_jim
09-07-2011, 00:54
MSR has announced the Whisperlite Universal for the coming year that still runs gasoline, white gas and kerosene, but now also works with fuel canisters. It may be worth waiting for. I may swap my Whisperlite Internationale for it.
I've got some videos up if anyone is interested in seeing the snazzy new Whisperlite Universal: http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2011/09/msr-whisperlite-universal-first-videos.html

HJ

CrumbSnatcher
09-07-2011, 08:35
i keep my whisperlite around for use with my bakpacker

hikin_jim
09-07-2011, 10:25
I use my Whisperlite mainly as a "workhorse" stove. I use it for when I go out with groups and need a stove that can support a larger pot well. I typically use it on shorter trips and carry something lighter for when I've got miles to cover. I started using a Whisperlite in 1987; still use a Whisperlite today. They're good stoves, and with the improvements they've made on the new version, I think it's an even better stove.

HJ

Feral Bill
09-07-2011, 10:54
I was introduced to SVEA stoves 30 years ago. Fond memories. As I recall, they only have two settings: off and blowtorch...

Funny, I've been simmering with mine since 1969. Never fails.

hikin_jim
09-07-2011, 11:07
Funny, I've been simmering with mine since 1969. Never fails. :confused: I think you might be a little off on your dates. :) MSR didn't introduce a stove (the Model 9) until 1972, and the Whisperlite wasn't introduced until 1984. However, if you're using a pre-shaker jet Whisperlite (http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2011/03/stove-of-week-msr-whisperlite-pre.html), they do indeed simmer reasonably well. The easiest way to tell the difference is to look at the jet. If the jet has a flat top, then it's the pre-shaker jet version. If the jet has a pointy top, then it's the shaker jet version.

HJ

Toolshed
09-07-2011, 11:45
He was referring to the SVEA123

hikin_jim
09-07-2011, 12:44
He was referring to the SVEA123 Oh, sorry. :)

Another excellent stove.

HJ

Spokes
09-07-2011, 12:59
Yep, its a great stove but a little overkill on a thru hike where you quickly learn to think in terms of ounces. I suspect some may think it's "good" weight however.

hikin_jim
09-07-2011, 13:16
Yep, its a great stove but a little overkill on a thru hike where you quickly learn to think in terms of ounces. I suspect some may think it's "good" weight however. I think I'd agree with you for a through hike -- unless you're cooking for a big group or going when it's going to be below 20F/-7C.

If you're going to be cooking for a big group (Scouts?), then those big pot supports on the Whisperlite Universal are really nice. MSR has probably only extended the pot supports by 1/4 inch each, but they're flat on top (rather than rounded off on the ends like the old ones), so their effective surface area is far greater. Did you look at the video I posted on my blog (http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2011/09/msr-whisperlite-universal-first-videos.html)? That's a huge kettle (4 liters or so) -- at least in terms of what I usually bring on the trail -- but it was rock solid on the Whisperlite Universal.

HJ

hikin_jim
09-07-2011, 13:18
Did you look at the video I posted on my blog (http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2011/09/msr-whisperlite-universal-first-videos.html)? That's a huge kettle (4 liters or so) -- at least in terms of what I usually bring on the trail -- but it was rock solid on the Whisperlite Universal. Uh, the fifth video down I mean, not the "cute" little Primus kettle which is less than 1 liter!

HJ

hikin_jim
09-08-2011, 10:48
I did some tests on kerosene last night. Ran well although it didn't even come close to simmering on kerosene (not that I expected it to).

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-DD8Jfbjg9vY/TmhpKTgEQMI/AAAAAAAAClg/0f1flj_Fm88/s640/P1070510.JPG

HJ

TaraLovinLife
09-08-2011, 11:15
I love mine, use it in all situations - proven & true! Though I am sure a new better version comes out every year, I like what I know works!

PLUS recommended by Dan "Wingfoot", can't go wrong!

TinAbbey
09-09-2011, 07:59
I have the Whisperlite International. Great stove. Even though I haven't used anything but white gas I like the idea that I could. Anyway the little jet that converts the stove to run kerosene and jet fuel is missing. Whats the best, easiest, cheapest way to get another. It's small and I don't think I'll find it in my place. and truth be told before watching hiking jims videos I didn't know why I had that piece. But anyway, anybody know?

hikin_jim
09-09-2011, 11:43
I have the Whisperlite International. Great stove. Even though I haven't used anything but white gas I like the idea that I could. Anyway the little jet that converts the stove to run kerosene and jet fuel is missing. Whats the best, easiest, cheapest way to get another. It's small and I don't think I'll find it in my place. and truth be told before watching hiking jims videos I didn't know why I had that piece. But anyway, anybody know?
You can buy one of the expedition service maintenance kits from REI (http://www.rei.com/product/714951/msr-whisperlite-expedition-service-kit) for $25. Don't buy the annual maintenance kits. You need the expedition kit.

You could also call MSR customer service 800.531.9531 or 206.505.9500. They might sell you an individual jet for less. MSR has a pretty good customer service reputation.

HJ

Smooth & Wasabi
09-09-2011, 14:25
My beloved whisperlite international has also been relegated to winter duty. If I got out enough in the winter to justify it I would switch to one of the remote canister stoves that can handle deep cold however. When it is below 0 the futz factor is amplified tenfold or more.

hikin_jim
09-09-2011, 16:25
My beloved whisperlite international has also been relegated to winter duty. If I got out enough in the winter to justify it I would switch to one of the remote canister stoves that can handle deep cold however. When it is below 0 the futz factor is amplified tenfold or more. If you're going below 0F (-18C), you actually might want to stick with your Whisperlite Internationale. Most of the remote inverted canister stoves are going to be good down to about 0F/-18C, but if it gets much colder, then you're going to have to start employing tricks to warm the canister. Some of those tricks can either be impractical at temperatures below 0F/-18C or potentially dangerous.

The one exception is the Coleman "X" series of stoves (The Xtreme (http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2011/01/stove-of-week-coleman-xtreme.html), the Xpert, and the Xpedition (http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2011/01/stove-of-week-coleman-xpedition.html)). The Coleman "X" stoves are generally good down to about -10F/-23C which is truly exceptional for a gas stove. The problem is that the fuel is really hard to find although both the stoves and the fuel are on eBay.

The big advantage of something like one of the Coleman "X" stoves is that you can operate the stove in a tent pretty safely since there's no priming. If the temps are below 0F/-18C, do you really want to cook outdoors?

HJ

pcasebere
09-12-2011, 15:08
Use mine as a go to stove for the family -very reliable.

hikin_jim
09-12-2011, 15:51
Use mine as a go to stove for the family -very reliable. I still use mine fairly frequently. I'd rather bring two one-burner MSR type stoves than a big "suitcase" two burner stove. The two burners take a lot of room and really don't have good wind resistance.

The new version of the Whisperlite (http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2011/09/msr-whisperlite-universal-first-videos.html) can run on either gas or liquid fuel which is kind of nice. Gas for when you're in a hurry (or just don't want to hassle with priming) or liquid fuel when you want economy or serious cold weather capability.

HJ