PDA

View Full Version : From Maine to Florida to Maine to Florida.......

Different Socks
08-17-2011, 23:51
If a hiker began on Big K in June, hiked down to GA by Oct, continued on down to AL and into FL on the Florida Trail, thereby finishing at its southern end around Feb 1, couldn't they then turn around and start back north getting to Springer by late April/early May and continue onto Big K?
This has me intrigued and I am thinking of doing it. And yes I have the time, $$ and experience to do it.
What are your thoughts?

DapperD
08-18-2011, 00:19
If a hiker began on Big K in June, hiked down to GA by Oct, continued on down to AL and into FL on the Florida Trail, thereby finishing at its southern end around Feb 1, couldn't they then turn around and start back north getting to Springer by late April/early May and continue onto Big K?
This has me intrigued and I am thinking of doing it. And yes I have the time, $$ and experience to do it.
What are your thoughts?A similar question as this was asked a while ago pertaining to back to back thru-hikes:http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?64833-Back-to-back-thrus&highlight=

moytoy
08-18-2011, 04:11
If you can hike from Katahdin to Big Cypress (some 3000 miles I'm guessing) and then turn around and go back thru the muck that is Big Cypress then you are a better man than me. Which no doubt you are. I would be the first to shake your hand.

Jeff
08-18-2011, 06:16
Who cares what we think ?

If that's your dream just do it !!

Brewerbob
08-18-2011, 08:21
Completely off your topic but I want to know just how the he11 you have the time and money to do it. I've been doing something very wrong because I have neither.

grayfox
08-18-2011, 08:24
The 'hike of dreams' for me would be: Key West, sunrise, New Year's Day--Canadian border--Key West, sunset, New Years' Eve!

Sly
08-18-2011, 08:25
At a good steady pace the times and seasons seem right for a yo-yo but you have a triple in your title which isn't practical. I believe the AT/PT/FT yo-yo would be a first.

Sly
08-18-2011, 08:38
Completely off your topic but I want to know just how the he11 you have the time and money to do it. I've been doing something very wrong because I have neither.

Practically anyone without family responsibilities and $10k could do it. Even if you owned a home, sell it, go hiking, start over when you're done. It's what many do on a smaller scale to thru-hike.

Different Socks
08-18-2011, 09:13

Already have the money saved, just waiting a couple more years to save even more. Work 2 jobs and try to keep the bills down. No family, no home, etc.

Different Socks
08-18-2011, 09:22
BTW, I have a different idea(actually 2) for hikes I want to do, but based on what i've seen here at WB, I'd prefer to not say what it is until I am out there and doing it. In other words I wish to begin doing it quietly. Let's just say it involves the AT for longer than the average thru hike.

Brewerbob
08-18-2011, 10:03
Practically anyone without family responsibilities and $10k could do it. Even if you owned a home, sell it, go hiking, start over when you're done. It's what many do on a smaller scale to thru-hike.

Already have the money saved, just waiting a couple more years to save even more. Work 2 jobs and try to keep the bills down. No family, no home, etc.So that's what I'm doing wrong. Wife and kids, house, and a desk job.

BTW, I have a different idea(actually 2) for hikes I want to do, but based on what i've seen here at WB, I'd prefer to not say what it is until I am out there and doing it. In other words I wish to begin doing it quietly. Let's just say it involves the AT for longer than the average thru hike.What's so secret about a hike?

Throwing practicality out the window, I wonder if anyone has tried a Key West to AK hike or even grander, AK to Argentina.

ScottP
08-18-2011, 10:59
sounds fine to me.

Sly
08-18-2011, 12:48
So that's what I'm doing wrong. Wife and kids, house, and a desk job.

Well, if you want to take off for a year, probably. Still, there have been plenty that thru-hiked for 5-6 months with a wife and family. After so many years some jobs will allow a sabbatical, whether a wife will, is another question.

Different Socks
08-18-2011, 16:30
So that's what I'm doing wrong. Wife and kids, house, and a desk job.

What's so secret about a hike?

Throwing practicality out the window, I wonder if anyone has tried a Key West to AK hike or even grander, AK to Argentina.It's not really a secret per say, I just don't want anyone judging me until I am out there on the trail and actually doing it. Seen too many negative comments from people on WB. Seems like if they can't be doing it, nobody should either. Yeah, I know there are positive ones also and they are great people. But I wish to wait til at least a month or 2 before I embark on my journey to officially announce it.

DLANOIE
08-18-2011, 19:14
If we guessed right, would you tell us?;)

Hey I can respect your wishes.

David

Ladytrekker
08-18-2011, 19:19
http://www.greateasterntrail.net/

Keywest to Canada is the The Great Eastern Trail which includes the Florida Trail but then goes up through Alabama but you could cross over to the AT at Springer after finishing the FT in Pensacola. That would be interesting for sure.

Different Socks
08-18-2011, 23:02
http://www.greateasterntrail.net/

Keywest to Canada is the The Great Eastern Trail which includes the Florida Trail but then goes up through Alabama but you could cross over to the AT at Springer after finishing the FT in Pensacola. That would be interesting for sure.
Yeah, I could do that too!

Brewerbob
08-19-2011, 06:56
Well, if you want to take off for a year, probably. Still, there have been plenty that thru-hiked for 5-6 months with a wife and family. After so many years some jobs will allow a sabbatical, whether a wife will, is another question.
I could probably take a leave of abscence for 6 months. I dunno about a year. Saving money, planning, and even the hike iteself is the easy part. The whole wife thing is where it gets tricky.

It's not really a secret per say, I just don't want anyone judging me until I am out there on the trail and actually doing it. Seen too many negative comments from people on WB. Seems like if they can't be doing it, nobody should either. Yeah, I know there are positive ones also and they are great people. But I wish to wait til at least a month or 2 before I embark on my journey to officially announce it.Thin skin? It's the internet. The best plan in the world is going to have critics. A lot of people like to argue just to argue. Ignore those. I hate acronyms but HYOH. If they don't like it, it's a good thing they weren't invited along.

Different Socks
08-19-2011, 18:20
If we guessed right, would you tell us?;)

Hey I can respect your wishes.

David

Actually yes, if you guessed it correctly, I would PM and tell you. So let the games begin!

DLANOIE
08-19-2011, 19:20
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!