PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Camera w/ rechargable batteries

Simrose
02-12-2005, 22:26
I spent a lot of time deciding on a new camera last fall, and spent the money to get one that I knew would give me good pictures. At the time of purchase I asked two people if the camera I was getting (which does not have a viewfinder, only the digital screen) had a disposable battery optioin and was told yes. Went to buy the disposable batteries this week and discovered it only has a rechargable one; I feel like a fool. For all the research I did, I still ended up in a corner.

Has anyone used rechargable batteries for their camera on the trail? Is it even feasible to take 2 batteries and recharge them at hostels?

I can't return the camera now, store policy. Very not happy. HELP!

orangebug
02-12-2005, 22:53
You don't mention the camera or the vendor - which is probably a safe way not to piss them off on the Internet.

I'd consider a message/letter to the camera company's regional office about your experience. Find out the usual charge life of the rechargeable batteries. Find out the type of battery, for instance if you have problems with "memory" with a NiCad one. Find out if Li batteries are an available option. Let them know your shopping experience and how an extra battery would make you a happier/loyal customer.

I'd bring two and learn yesterday how to take photos without ever using the LED screen. It is so tempting to use it, and it burns thru batteries so rapidly.

And learn from the experience to open up the camera and get very familiar before handing over your paper or plastic.

Footslogger
02-12-2005, 23:46
Has anyone used rechargable batteries for their camera on the trail? Is it even feasible to take 2 batteries and recharge them at hostels?
================================
I shot my entire 2003 thru-hike with AA rechargeables. It is not a problem at all. I found a 4 oz rapid (1 hour) charger that I carried with me. I also carried a spare set of rechargeables. Whenever I was at a hostel or town I would find an electrical outlet and charge up all 4 batteries. Nice thing about the newer NiMH batteries is that (unlike the old Nicad's) they don't have a "memory". You can pop them into a charger to top them off as much as you'd like. Funny thing was that I never ended up using my spare set of batteries. I was able to shoot all the pics I wanted from re-supply to re-supply on the initial set. Still glad I carried the extra set though.

So ...if you otherwise do like the camera there's no need to return it, at least from the battery point of view. Another thing you can consider, and something I have just started using, is the longer life Lithiums. Eveready makes them in AA size. I've got 2 in my digital camera now and they seem to be lasting quite a long while. If I had it to do all over again I'd buy some AA Lithiums. I'd put 2 in my camera, carry an extra set and throw a couple sets of spares in my bounce box (just in case I couldn't find the Lithiums along the trail).

Happy Trails and oh yeah ...take a lot of pictures !!

'Slogger
AT 2003

orangebug
02-13-2005, 08:44
I think he has a camera with special batteries. I'd never buy a camera that didn't use "off the shelf" batteries.

Icicle
02-13-2005, 14:41
I think he has a camera with special batteries. I'd never buy a camera that didn't use "off the shelf" batteries.
Ditto! I looked far and wide for my digital...the main feature was that it took AA batteries. Most of the newer ones (with higher megapixel ratings) seem to have chargers with onboard lithiums or you have to carry and extra piece of kit in order for the camera to use AA's.

I would hassle them into an exchange at any rate!

As far as recharging batteries on the trail...I am carrying the recharger that came with my camera...it does two at a time but it doesn't take that long to recharge and it's very lightweight.

Frosty
02-13-2005, 16:11
I'd never buy a camera that didn't use "off the shelf" batteries.Never doesn't allow reason to enter the equation.

I bought an Olympus 300 specifically for my thru hike. I wanted waterproof and lightweight as my first attributes. I preferred a camera that took AAs, butnot at the sacrifice of lightweight/waterproof. I did not find a camera that met my needs overall better than the 300. It has a non-AA battery, but it takes quality pictures, and the weight of the camera, an extra battery and charger is less than my second choice of camera.

In hindsight, I have not yet needed the second battery. This year I will carry it anyway as a spare and keep the charger in my bounce box.

My old camera used AAs, but ran through batteries like water. After a few battery purchaes, I switched to rechargable AAs and so needed a charger anyway. Maybe it is because of the camera, but the rechargable AAs do not have anywhere near the life of my new camera battery.

Dharma
02-13-2005, 17:20
My camera has a proprietary battery that charged in the camera. I bounced the charger ahead 2 weeks and would recharge in town. I never killed the battery between chargings and I used the LCD screen a whole bunch.

orangebug
02-13-2005, 20:16
Pentax has at least two cameras that are waterproof, light and use AA batteries. Mine is 4 inches square and 1 inch thick. It weighs about 6 oz, I believe. I do not use the LED screen, and find that I can get close to 500 shots, including flash, on a set of batteries - Lithium AA's.

There are options that make battery choices very easy. I think Simrose either made an assumption or was misled by the salesperson.

LWOP
02-13-2005, 21:54
I used an Olympus Stylus 400 for my thru-hike last year. At first I carried the charger and a spare battery. After hiking for over a week and not putting a dent in the first battery's charge, I started to bounce the charger. Avoid using the viewfinder and the battery will last for weeks and hundreds of pictures.
Also, you can save a lot of weight by cutting the plug down to size on the charger. You really don't need a six foot plug. I cut about 4 ounces by doing this.
Some tips for great pictures - Shoot at maximum resolution. Do not use the digital zoom. Take two pictures of everything you see.
Lwop

Chickety
02-14-2005, 07:33
"Also, you can save a lot of weight by cutting the plug down to size on the charger. You really don't need a six foot plug."

Can anyone do this............or do you have to be part-electrician?! I have the Olympus 300 with the 6 foot recharger plug and never really thought of cutting it, for fear of ruining the thing.........or being electricuted (minor details)! I know the batteries hold their charge for quite awhile, but I'll need the charger at some point. Thanks!!

Jaybird
02-14-2005, 08:28
I spent a lot of time deciding on a new camera last fall, and spent the money to get one that I knew would give me good pictures. At the time of purchase I asked two people if the camera I was getting (which does not have a viewfinder, only the digital screen) had a disposable battery optioin and was told yes. Went to buy the disposable batteries this week and discovered it only has a rechargable one; I feel like a fool. For all the research I did, I still ended up in a corner.
... HELP!

SIMROSE:

as said before...you didnt mention NAMEBRAND & BATTERY used....
most "RECHARGABLE" batteries have an ALTERNATIVE battery that u may use....as for recharging.....almost all hostels have enuff AC outlets for recharging purposes....(hopefully, u have a quick-charger)

why not look into a SOLAR PANEL charger??????

http://store.sundancesolar.com/sochforliion.html

its environmentally friendly, it could be charging while u be hikin'...& u wouldnt have to spend time watching a charger..."do its thang!"

MOWGLI
02-14-2005, 08:41
I bought an Olympus 300 specifically for my thru hike. I wanted waterproof and lightweight as my first attributes. I preferred a camera that took AAs, butnot at the sacrifice of lightweight/waterproof.

Frosty, I own the same camera and have carried it perhaps 400-500 miles on various trails. Don't make the mistake of thinking the camera is "waterproof", as it is not. I believe the wording is water resistant. That's a whole lot different.

Todd Kirkendol
02-14-2005, 09:38
Simrose,

The Brunton company makes a complete line of portable solar chargers for small electronic devices. They are a bit expensive, but this could be one answer to your problem.

http://www.brunton.com/product.php?id=280

gravityman
02-14-2005, 11:42
We used our pentax and lithium rechargable battery for 170 miles on the Long trail without a hitch. Never had to use the backup battery, but carried it anyway. Will carry it on our thru this spring.

I did modify our charger's plug. I actually soldered new wire right to the terminals and put my own plug on it. Saved 6 oz. But if you don't know what you are doing, you could destroy the charger.

Gravity

fantasmagris
02-14-2005, 15:40
"Can anyone do this............or do you have to be part-electrician?!"

It's E-Z. You just cut the cord down and put a new plug on it - but don't try to shortern the cord where it enters the charger. And leave a little extra slack in case you botch it. Any electronics or hardwear store can show you how. In fact they'd probably do it for you.;)

RockyTrail
02-14-2005, 16:22
Rechargeable batteries are not all that bad, no need to be scared of them. Since 2003 I've used a 4 Mp Canon Elph digital that uses "proprietary" or Canon-designed battery. I've used this camera for over 200 shots without a recharge over a two-week period in trail conditions (if you keep the LCD screen turned off; otherwise about 70-80 with it on). I have a second battery for backup, and swap out when needed. The battery is so small you could fit 2 of them in a matchbox. Make sure you get the Canon brand and not a knockoff battery, I have read reports there is a real difference in capacity.

The recharger is even better; it is the size of a pack of cigarettes and the plug simply flips out of the pack and you plug it straight into the outlet, no power cord. The best part is that weighs only maybe 3 oz (?) max because they got rid of the heavy transformer and use a switching power supply instead. Takes just 2 hrs to fully recharge a battery.

I would highly recommend Canon products, they make some really good stuff. (and no, I don't have any affiliation with them, just a very satisfied customer). Happy hiking :)

The Weasel
02-15-2005, 14:43
I use the same Canon camera, and have found it useful to have an extra charged battery. When I'm doing long distances, I put the charger in my bounce box, since I also get a lot of pics from one charge. Never had a problem yet. Never found a store, restaurant or hostel that wouldn't let me do a fast (1 hr) charge, eitehr.

The Weasel

RockyTrail
02-15-2005, 15:26
....Never had a problem yet. Never found a store, restaurant or hostel that wouldn't let me do a fast (1 hr) charge, either.

The WeaselDon't forget about public restrooms they usually have an outlet somewhere (electrical that is):)

Yeah, its a really good camera, but once in a while I get set up on a really great (fleeting moment) shot, press the shutter and it shuts down. Then I realize in my excitement that I pushed the on/off button instead of the shutter button right-next-to-it, but that's it's only fault IMHO

Frosty
02-20-2005, 19:19
Frosty, I own the same camera and have carried it perhaps 400-500 miles on various trails. Don't make the mistake of thinking the camera is "waterproof", as it is not. I believe the wording is water resistant. That's a whole lot different.Have you had a problem? The camera claims to be weatherproof and in fact I've gotten it pretty wet without a problem. Did you open the battery compartment in the rain? From the manual:

• The camera loses its waterproof capability if the battery compartment
cover, connector cover or DC-IN jack cover is open. Make sure that all
the covers are closed before using the camera.

Frosty
02-20-2005, 19:22
"Also, you can save a lot of weight by cutting the plug down to size on the charger. You really don't need a six foot plug."

Can anyone do this............or do you have to be part-electrician?! I have the Olympus 300 with the 6 foot recharger plug and never really thought of cutting it, for fear of ruining the thing.........or being electricuted (minor details)! I know the batteries hold their charge for quite awhile, but I'll need the charger at some point. Thanks!!Easy to do. Leave about 4-5 inches attached to either connector. Strip the ends, twist the wires together and tape each wire connection separately then the two together for structural stability

I bought an extra battery ($49 circuit city) and will leave the charger and wire in my bounce box.

BYW are you still planning on being atop Springer Mar 20 a.m.?

Alligator
02-20-2005, 20:17
I have a Pentax Optio S. It uses a proprietary battery, but the battery weighs less than 2 AA's. I agree with both of Rockytrails posts, but for my camera. The battery would last a week even using the screen, much longer using the viewfinder. I still bought the extra battery so I could shoot short movies or many panoramas if I so wished. The battery was $16.00, just shop around prices vary immensely I found. One thing to watch is that I bought a generic replacement, but I wanted to be sure I did not fry the camera. The volts match (OK), but the mAh were higher 710 vs. 780. This was a good thing because (if I did my research correctly), the new battery will last almost 10% longer. So, watch the mAh (milli-amp hours).

This is the link to the company I bought the battery from
http://www.digicamaccessories.com/default.asp

The shipping was only $0.99.

Funny, I bought a remote control for this camera from another company. The remote is the size of a stick of gum. The box they shipped it in was 7"X8"X10":eek: .

Nightwalker
02-21-2005, 16:57
"Can anyone do this............or do you have to be part-electrician?!"

It's E-Z. You just cut the cord down and put a new plug on it - but don't try to shortern the cord where it enters the charger. And leave a little extra slack in case you botch it. Any electronics or hardwear store can show you how. In fact they'd probably do it for you.;)Make sure to keep the polarity the same.

Your plug probably is polarized, meaning one side of the metal thingie (technical term) is larger than the other. Your cord will be easy to keep matched. Notice that one side will be smooth and one side will be knobbly or have lines. Just keep the smooth side to the smooth side when you re-attach, and twist-and-tape it well, and you'll have no worries.

Frank/Nightwalker