PDA

View Full Version : Hola! from a newbie to the forum

GABuckeye311
08-18-2011, 13:46
I have been a "lurker" on the site for some time and finally decided to join in the fun.

I am 32 and living with my family in North Georgia (about 1 hour from Springer Mountain) I am somewhat new to hiking, I have always wanted to take part but never went ahead and did it. This past January a buddy of mine and I went on our first section hike. We did Springer to Woody Gap in a weekend. We decided to start slow since it was our first trip and I am glad we did because, as do a lot of people, we took WAY to much stuff. I enjoyed it more then I can possibly explain other then to say that I got the "bug."

I recently partially tore my ACL and have not been able to get out this year. I am thinking about taking my 5 year old out to get his first taste of the trail and am here to get myself motivated.

Thats my intorduction...Nice to meet you all!

GABuckeye311

scope
08-18-2011, 13:52
:welcome you're sick now, no known cure except to hike! Hoping knee gets better soon.

Skidsteer
08-18-2011, 13:53
I have been a "lurker" on the site for some time and finally decided to join in the fun.

I am 32 and living with my family in North Georgia (about 1 hour from Springer Mountain) I am somewhat new to hiking, I have always wanted to take part but never went ahead and did it. This past January a buddy of mine and I went on our first section hike. We did Springer to Woody Gap in a weekend. We decided to start slow since it was our first trip and I am glad we did because, as do a lot of people, we took WAY to much stuff. I enjoyed it more then I can possibly explain other then to say that I got the "bug."

I recently partially tore my ACL and have not been able to get out this year. I am thinking about taking my 5 year old out to get his first taste of the trail and am here to get myself motivated.

Thats my intorduction...Nice to meet you all!

GABuckeye311

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSI1LyUR4co

Just kidding. :D Welcome to WB.

GABuckeye311
08-18-2011, 13:54
Thanks Scope! I think I would be ok on the trail with my brace. I am just having a hard time convincing my wife of that!

DLANOIE
08-18-2011, 15:32
Take your wife with ya and show her how well you do. That should convince her!

Welcome to WB!

GABuckeye311
08-18-2011, 20:54
Ha! Yes...My spanish is not good.

Maybe I should take my wife, she would either love it or hate it!

Big Dawg
08-18-2011, 23:11
:welcome to WB!!! Your story sounds familiar. My first section a decade ago was Springer to Woody! Pack weight was 60+ pounds. Within the first 5 miles, my buddy and I ran into a SOBO thru-hiker wearing teva sandles and carrying what looked like a 10 pound load. We were humored to say the least. Hmmmm,, so carrying 12 pounds of water wasn't necessary. LOL!! Wow how things have changed. My total pack weight these days hovers around 25-30 pounds. Anyway, welcome to the club,, and the craziness of WB!! Have fun!!!

scope
08-19-2011, 11:50
Thanks Scope! I think I would be ok on the trail with my brace. I am just having a hard time convincing my wife of that!

Yeah, I'm having trouble convincing mine that my torn meniscus prevents me from doing some things around the house, but its OK to hike.

Reid
08-19-2011, 14:26
That sucks you blew your knee out like that. Is it still giving you trouble?

Reid
08-19-2011, 14:27
I take motrin everyday for a bad ankle

Loneoak
08-19-2011, 14:56
Great introduction and welcome to WB

GABuckeye311
08-23-2011, 14:52
Reid,

Yes, it still gives me trouble, mainly when I am attempting to sqaut down or really sudden movements to the left or right. It does not hurt to walk or run if its in a straightline (running on treadmill.) I have yet to attempt any type of hike or backpack adventure. My biggest concern is obviously hurting myself on the trail and having issues "getting out." I have a very good ACL brace that works well with supporting my leg.

I am considering finding a good, flat trail to get started on and go from there.

GABuckeye311
08-23-2011, 14:52
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome.

GABuckeye311
08-23-2011, 14:54
Yeah, I'm having trouble convincing mine that my torn meniscus prevents me from doing some things around the house, but its OK to hike.

Ha!! That is my problem, if I complain about it hurting and than go hike I am causing an issue for myself in the future when the injury is "needed" to stop a chore around the house.