PDA

View Full Version : If I want to get to the top of Springer but don't like stairs.....

HockeyGirl
08-18-2011, 18:42
Hi

Looking to hike next year and keen to climb Springer but not really liking the idea of 600 stairs, so was wondering if there are other marked trails up the mountain which are more of a 'natural' climb?
Having never been to Springer, can you just walk through 'The Arch' and there are a number of different routes to choose from?

I know that driving up is an option, but somehow would feel I cheated on reaching the top to start the AT.

solobip
08-18-2011, 18:46
Yes HockeyGirl, there is a marked trail directly behind the arch which leads to the top of the falls and avoids the stair climb. Once you register at the Park office, you will obtain a map which shows the side trail, Do not follow the "Approach trail" to the top of the falls, take the side trail which runs behind the shelter near the Park Office. Have fun.

FatMan
08-18-2011, 20:00
Heck, just have someone drive you to the top of the falls. I don't like those stinkin' stairs either.

Or you can take the East Ridge Trail from the arch to the top of the falls and avoid the stairs. The East Ridge Trail used to be the approach trail until they moved it to those stinkin' stairs a few years ago.

Blissful
08-18-2011, 20:03
If you don't like stairs you won't like the water source at Peters mtn shelter in PA. Or the rock stairs north. :) Might as well get used to it all.

Iceaxe
08-18-2011, 20:26
Hi

Looking to hike next year and keen to climb Springer but not really liking the idea of 600 stairs, so was wondering if there are other marked trails up the mountain which are more of a 'natural' climb?
Having never been to Springer, can you just walk through 'The Arch' and there are a number of different routes to choose from?

I know that driving up is an option, but somehow would feel I cheated on reaching the top to start the AT.

I thought the the approach trail was really nice, stairs and all. I had heard all these stories about how bad it was going to be and it turmed out to be nothing more than a few long flights of stairs, which i did in the rain.
The rest of the approach trail is a gorgeous forest hike all the way to the top of Springer.
Actually i almost walked past the monument on top of Springer mountain in the rain and fog before (the official) start of my thru hike.
You could take the side trail but you might find, as I did, that the approach just feels right and the falls are beautiful.
It's just walking and it's only 9 miles.

bflorac
08-18-2011, 22:18
Well, I intended to take the stairs but missed the turn at the arch and took the East Ridge Trail instead. I got to the top of the falls and said "oops". Funny, as I was not the only one. I hiked met up with three others on the way up to the top of the falls that did the same. We all had a good laugh. Anyway, you can still take the other trails, get to top of the falls, drop your pack and hike down for some views as I did. (Wasn't much water flowing at that time).

wcgornto
08-18-2011, 22:32
If you don't like stairs you won't like the water source at Peters mtn shelter in PA. Or the rock stairs north. :) Might as well get used to it all.

The Peters Mountain water source is interesting to say the least ... and definitely difficult for the weekend hiker. For a thru hiker in either direction, it's a piece of cake.

Ladytrekker
08-18-2011, 22:54

Sierra Echo
08-19-2011, 13:23
I camped at Springer last night and the park rangers let me park at the Lodge. Be careful at nimblewill gap, I almost stepped on a copperhead this morning!
Oh! And there is no water to be found on Springer.

10-K
08-19-2011, 13:27
FS42 or bust! Hike .9 miles south, touch the plaque, turn around, hike to Maine.

10-K
08-19-2011, 13:28
Be careful at nimblewill gap, I almost stepped on a copperhead this morning!

I can't remember the last time I heard someone say, "Be careful, I almost got attacked by a bear." :) :) :)

Sierra Echo
08-19-2011, 13:52
I can't remember the last time I heard someone say, "Be careful, I almost got attacked by a bear." :) :) :)

Yeah well, I have photographic evidence to back up my claims!

HockeyGirl
08-20-2011, 05:08
Thanks for the help everyone, glad to know there is another route, guess I'll be able to make up my mind when I get there!
Wasn't sure the stairs were the most scenic route to go is all.

Cheers :)

veteran
08-20-2011, 10:56
Hi

Amicalola Falls State Park Trail Map (http://www.n-georgia.com/pdf/amicalola-falls-state-park-map.pdf)

gopher
08-22-2011, 06:55
The stair experience depends on one thing, aerobic fitness!

bflorac
08-22-2011, 23:36
Amicalola Falls State Park Trail Map (http://www.n-georgia.com/pdf/amicalola-falls-state-park-map.pdf)
FYI- If you look at this map (from Vertern above), it denotes the "approach trail". This is NOT the stairs but the old approach trail. I think this is officially called the East Ridge Trail. Oddly this IS the map I used which is why I missed the stairs....

I think this is the more recent map (http://www.gastateparks.org/content/georgia/parks/maps/Amicalola-sitemap.pdf)..

This one shows the East Ridge as "unblazed" (map (http://gastateparks.org/content/Georgia/parks/trail_maps/AmicalolaFalls.pdf)) . It was blue when I did it 4 years ago.

modiyooch
08-23-2011, 21:59
when did the stairs go in?

jesse
08-24-2011, 01:56
when did the stairs go in?
Stairs have been there a long time. The approach trail was re-routed a few years ago.

jesse
08-24-2011, 02:00
One advantage of the stairs is the great view of the Falls. Amacolola is the longest cascading fall in the Eastern US.