PDA

View Full Version : Mail Drop at NOC

dgm
08-18-2011, 23:13
How do I accomplish this if possible, and are their hours ?

Thanks. Also do they have a campground we can stay at? Or should we just hike to the nearest shelter?

Blissful
08-19-2011, 08:51
Just send your drop to the outfitter there.

Check the NOC (http://www.noc.com/) site for rooms - they have a nice set-up for hikers in bunkrooms

-SEEKER-
08-19-2011, 11:34
Just send your drop to the outfitter there.

Check the NOC (http://www.noc.com/) site for rooms - they have a nice set-up for hikers in bunkrooms

100% on. I mail dropped there, stayed in cabin with bunks, showered and did laundry.

10-K
08-19-2011, 11:37
You absolutely have to have a picture ID on you to get your box. Not that you wouldn't, but a lot of places will just give you your drop no questions asked - NOC won't.

just dad
08-19-2011, 19:26
Its hours are 8:00 am to 8:00 pm. I believe its hostel "basecamp" charges $20 per head. Another current thread mentions camping spots going north. The nearest shelter is just 1 mile going south.

rjhouser
08-19-2011, 19:33
You don't want to go to the nearest shelter going north unless you want to climb for quite a few hours

Kerosene
08-20-2011, 13:57
You don't want to go to the nearest shelter going north unless you want to climb for quite a few hoursNext shelter to the north of NOC is Sassafras Gap, 6.9 miles and 3,100 vertical feet. It took my newbie daughter 4 hours to cover that distance on a humid day in mid-May; I could have probably covered it in 3 hours, but it's a good, long slog. I suggest stopping at a dry tentsite 1-4 miles up, or go up to Cheoah Bald about 7.5 miles north.

carpediemkath
09-02-2011, 03:23
The NOC accepts mail drops and has a bunks and a shower. It's kinda crowded but not so bad. Also, next door to the NOC is a place that rents cabins. You said "we," so I don't know how many you have, but if you have more than three it's probably more cost effective to rent a small cabin next door to the NOC. That's what I did when I passed through there this spring. The owners of the cabins were very nice, and even did our laundry for us! Our little cabin had a private bath and small kitchen. The cabin place has a small store with snacks for sale. The NOC also has snacks for sale. If you're staying longer than a day or two you'll need more substantial food than what they have at the stores, but the only way to get groceries is to hitch a ride. There's no grocery store in walking distance from the NOC. So consider that when you plan your mail drop. For instance you can send yourself some cereal and buy the milk at the NOC, etc. To get to the cabins--I can't remember exact directions but as you're facing the NOC, the cabins are off to your right. There is a small path through the woods that will take you there, about 1/4 mile. The NOC staff won't mind giving you directions!

lush242000
09-02-2011, 08:40
You can camp all around that place. I used to set up my tent by the railroad tracks towards Big Wesser. There is a camp ground a mile or so up the dirt road called the Lost Mine Campground. The Noc does have a hostel. There are tons of options for camping around there.

Spent way too much time on the Nantahala and the Ocoee all through the 80's and 90's.

Kerosene
09-02-2011, 10:12
Also, make sure that you send your drop well in advance of your arrival. USPS quoted a 3-4 day delivery time, but it didn't arrive until the morning of the 5th day, forcing us to overnight at NOC.

jeramie75
09-28-2011, 13:59
I will echo the "send it well in advance" comment.