PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Poles

dgm
08-18-2011, 23:34
My wife and i are doing 8 days on the AT from Wallace Gap to Fontana. We both need t purchase hiking poles. We don't want to spend an arm and a leg either. Your thoughts?

wcgornto
08-18-2011, 23:36
Walmart poles are fine for a hike of this length and don't cost nearly as much as Leki, black Diamond, etc.

I would not trust a thru hike or frequent shorter hikes to the Walmart ones, but for what you are talking about, they're a good start.

BigHodag
08-18-2011, 23:54
Second on getting some inexpensive poles from Walmart. I've used a set of Outdoor Products hiking poles (http://at-trail.blogspot.com/2010/03/trekking-poles-outdoor-products-hiking.html) for two section hikes and they have done well. One pole shows a slight bend after 200 miles and both have lost their baskets.

I like the flik-lock model as I could effect a repair by replacing the exterior flik-lock clamp with an automotive hose clamp in an emergency and keep on hiking. The Outdoor Products flik-locks are about $13 each and come in green and gold colors with black flik-locks.

While there's a bit of anti-Walmart sentiment about the board, locally the Walmart Foundation has been donating trailers, cots and supplies to our American Red Cross chapters for tornado and flood response.

EJC
08-19-2011, 00:01
I agree with the two other posters. I bought some Wal-Mart poles for under $20 to see if I liked them. I trip a lot and so far they've saved me without collapsing, bending, breaking, etc. at least 10 times on my section hikes. The grips aren't so comfy for me, but for the price they can't be beat!

Tennessee Viking
08-19-2011, 08:10
I had a $80 pair of MountianSmiths. Broke in 3 months. Then I had a pair of Coleman poles from Target about $30 lasted me 3 years.

4eyedbuzzard
08-19-2011, 08:44
Shop, shop, shop!
You will definitely notice the difference between cheap poles and good poles.

1) Good poles like Leki's are generally significantly lighter, and your arms will know the difference.
2) Good poles have better grips. Cork is a favorite as it is much nicer/easier on the hands than plastic.
3) Good poles will have better carbide tips, and they will not wear anywhere as quickly as the tips on cheap poles.
4) Good poles, like Leki's have a lifetime warranty on the aluminum shafts, and normal wear and tear parts that aren't covered can be easily ordered.

Shop around. I picked up a pair of cork gripped Leki Super Makalus at Sierra Trading Post for $60 last year. Having hiked with no poles, a single "staff", some cheap $20 Mountainsmiths, and now two good quality poles, I wouldn't hike without them ever again.

Leki isn't the only manufacturer of quality poles. Check around at an outfitter. Lots of options.

ScottP
08-19-2011, 10:36
My wife and i are doing 8 days on the AT from Wallace Gap to Fontana. We both need t purchase hiking poles. We don't want to spend an arm and a leg either. Your thoughts?

Hiking poles are not needed unless you have some sort of serious knee problem

Chop
08-20-2011, 00:39
Check Sierra trading post and campmore. There are some good deals on good poles to be had.

I sprained my ankle last week about 650 miles in going sobo, very glad I had my poles. They greatly helped in getting out to a road without putting putting too much weight on the bad ankle. I nearly ditched them after the whites, but hung on to them for some reason.

ChinMusic
08-20-2011, 00:48
Hiking poles are not needed unless you have some sort of serious knee problem

Poles are used by many folks without "serious knee problems".

The OP asked for options of poles, not opinions of need.

Walmart is good if this is a one-time trip. If this is going to be an ongoing hobby, go with a major brand such as Leki or Black Diamond.

Sarcasm the elf
08-20-2011, 01:05
You pay for what you get. If you really think you're going to go hiking on a regular basis, just bite the bullet and get a set of poles from a company that stands behind their warranty (Black Diamond, Leki, etc.) If you're not sure, use good quality hiking sticks (free) or just get the cheapest set that looks like it will hold itself together and see what you think.
I spent years using a traditional hiking staff, now that I switched to hiking poles with a shock system I doubt I'll ever go back. I use the black diamond poles that have the glorified rubberband shock system (I dont' know what they market it as and it's really just a rubber flange, but it's awesome) and flick locks and swear by them. My friend uses Leki's, he likes the shock system, but bought the twist lock version which has lots of problems with the twist/bushing system, particularly in the winter when snow can foul the locks. Leki developed a new flick lock system that we have not tried yet, but looks promising.

Basically what I am saying is that good hiking poles are expensive but worth it. Honestly if you don't want to spend a lot of money, a couple of solid sticks can take their place, but once you realize the advantages of high end poles, you will likely decide they are worth the money.

paistes5
08-20-2011, 09:02
I never understood the whole hiking pole thing for a long time. Been on a number of hikes and a few backpacking trips without them with no issues. Then I decided to try them out and get some Black Diamond Ergo Corks.

I took them on a four day trip through Savage Gulf and absolutely loved them. I guess my point is that if you're gonna hike a bit, get some good ones, you'll never regret it.

Rocket Jones
08-20-2011, 19:08
On a Spring hike in Shenandoah, we were accompanied by a co-worker on his first overnight hike. I talked about my Pacer poles, and he showed up with a pair of old bamboo ski poles. They were a little long for him, but undoubtedly saved his hike because of chronic knee and ankle issues. He still talks about how much the poles helped. For his birthday last month, his wife bought him a set of Lekis.

Try a cheap pair first, and upgrade if you like them.

4eyedbuzzard
08-20-2011, 19:31
On a Spring hike in Shenandoah, we were accompanied by a co-worker on his first overnight hike. I talked about my Pacer poles, and he showed up with a pair of old bamboo ski poles. They were a little long for him, but undoubtedly saved his hike because of chronic knee and ankle issues. He still talks about how much the poles helped. For his birthday last month, his wife bought him a set of Lekis.

Try a cheap pair first, and upgrade if you like them.
How do you like the pacer poles compared to traditional ones? Do you have the aluminum or carbon graphite?

Rocket Jones
08-20-2011, 20:52
I love my pacer poles. The best thing about them is how effortless they are to hold since they conform so well to the hand. There's no pressure on my wrists from the strap like on regular poles. The downside is that because of the shape of the handles, it takes some fiddling if you want to use them as shelter poles.

I have the aluminum.

ed short
08-20-2011, 21:44
make your own hiking poles. Dragon plate, carries the1/2 in, 48 in carbon fiber blanks, about 15$ each, I believe. use the pipe insullating foam wrapping for grips. (I put them on at a 15% angle for comfort,) use goop to glue em on. (poke a hole thru first) I epoxy a case hardened nail in bottom end with string and epoxy. wrap the ends with a few rounds of string and epoxy to keep tips from splitting. that's it., I usually wrap a bit of gorilla tape arround the bottom to keep the tap tap tap silenced for town use,. gnome