PDA

View Full Version : Question from Europa

Swissboy
08-19-2011, 00:29
Hello Everyone,

I come from Europe (Switzerland) and I intend to thru-hike the AT in 2012,

Since I do not come from the United States, I have a question about logistics, which will be more complicated for me (I have no one to send the packet)
- Is it really necessary to send packets
- How much is sending a package to the post (per Kg)
- For a stage of 3-4 days is that my package will arrive before me (at least in regular weeks)?
- How long the post office keeps a packet?

and another question about shoes:

what to do with my second pair of shoes, do I have to buy it and made ​​up before leaving, knowing that my feet will certainly took a half size or more, or is it better to buy a new one when the old be damned?

and then last question for now, it is easy to come up to Atlanta to the beginig of the AT? (By the way I think to start mid March, if somebody has a ride ...:rolleyes:)

Thank you for advance

PS: even though I speak English not too bad, my writing is very bad so I asked my friend google to translate everything be please indulge us.

+ +

garlic08
08-19-2011, 09:01
It is not necessary to send packages to yourself unless you have unusual dietary needs. There are enough small stores selling just enough food for most hikers. You may have to live on hot dog buns and peanut butter for a couple of days here and there, but it's possible. The available guidebooks are pretty good for planning groceries. You can also ship ahead to yourself from the trail from a larger town, but you may want to allow more than a few days. Four days is usually enough.

I have not mailed food in many years, so I don't know how much it costs. I think there's a "flat rate" box available for about $12, which you can fill up with as much as you can for the same price. See the USPS website for size. I also think most POs will keep packages for at least one month. Be sure to write your expected pick-up date on the package.

Items like shoes and other supplies may be slightly more difficult. You may have to purchase from an on-line or telephone retailer (campmor.com, rei.com, zappos.com, etc) and have them ship ahead of you. Your English is probably good enough for that. I usually replace my lightweight shoes every 700 to 800 miles. If you have heavier shoes or boots, you may not need to replace them.

There are very good shuttle and lodging services available in Georgia. The guidebooks will have contact information.

I hiked the PCT with a Swiss hiker, named Freeman. He was a good partner and he enjoyed his trip very much. I hope you have a good journey.

Hikes in Rain
08-19-2011, 12:44
Seeing the title, I thought we'd made contact with one of Jupiter's moons!

Blissful
08-19-2011, 15:51
You can buy food along the way. In your case, unless you have someone who can mail within the US, the cost is quite prohibitive.

If you can have shoes that are easy to locate either online or at a passing outfitter,you can go with what you have and buy new pairs (in bigger sizes) and have them shipped to you on the trail. If they are strictly European models, that will be difficult.

Serial 07
08-19-2011, 16:17
Hello Everyone,

I come from Europe (Switzerland) and I intend to thru-hike the AT in 2012,

Since I do not come from the United States, I have a question about logistics, which will be more complicated for me (I have no one to send the packet)
- Is it really necessary to send packets
- How much is sending a package to the post (per Kg)
- For a stage of 3-4 days is that my package will arrive before me (at least in regular weeks)?
- How long the post office keeps a packet?

and another question about shoes:

what to do with my second pair of shoes, do I have to buy it and made ​​up before leaving, knowing that my feet will certainly took a half size or more, or is it better to buy a new one when the old be damned?

and then last question for now, it is easy to come up to Atlanta to the beginig of the AT? (By the way I think to start mid March, if somebody has a ride ...:rolleyes:)

Thank you for advance

PS: even though I speak English not too bad, my writing is very bad so I asked my friend google to translate everything be please indulge us.

+ +

you don't need to worry too much about food drops ahead of time...there will be plenty of chances to get food and once you get more acclimated to what's going on, you'll have a better understanding of what the post office system is like...then, you can maybe set up and send yourself a mail drop...but it's certainly not necessary, but there are towns with post offices but no grocery stores and having your favorite meals and whatnot might be something you want...the cost is about $13 and it will take 3 or 4 days typically...the P.O. will hold packages for weeks if labeled "for a thru hiker"...they see it all the time...

shoes are important...i'm a firm believer that it's smarter to have your shoes already purchased and worn in...it's so much easier to have shoes that are already comfortable, than hoping when you come into what ever small town you come to (and 95% of them are tiny little towns) some store there will have your size...it's up to you on how you work this issue, but i'll tell you that i have shoes already broken in and stored away for next year...

getting a shuttle from Atlanta's airport is easy, i know survivor dave on here does shuttles around there during the hiker season...get at him...

serial

Snowleopard
08-19-2011, 17:37
For shoes, you should start from Europe with a pair that fit you well and are comfortable. Replacing them might be easiest if you use a brand that is readily available in the USA, which includes some European
If a brand is sold by REI, http://www.rei.com/, or EMS, http://www.ems.com/home/index.jsp you can probably find it at local outfitters or online.

Buy food at groceries in trail towns every several days. Replacement gear can easily be ordered online with next day delivery and there are shops with outdoor gear in or near many trail towns.

Some people use a 'bounce box' for things they don't need often. This is mailed to a town a week or two up the trail for things you don't want to carry and don't want to throw away.

Trailweaver
08-20-2011, 01:46
Once you start hiking, you will meet people on the trail who will be glad to help you with the post office mailing thing.

You may want to check out hikerhostel.com. They shuttle from the Atlanta airport and can put you up for the night, feed you a great breakfast, and take you to Springer to get you started. You can also ship things to them and they will hold them for you till you get there.

Hope you have a wonderful year and a great hike when you come!

Spokes
08-20-2011, 11:07
As far as shoes go, if you know the brand and size, consider opening a www.zappos.com account. They will ship shoes anywhere you designate (except a post office) usually within 2 days. Order them from a town library or other internet access you have along the way.

I did this in Maine and had them ship my shoes to a hostel I was staying at. Just be sure to coordinate it with the hostel owner to make sure its okay before you do.

Cheers!

ScottP
08-22-2011, 17:28
I do maildrops because I'm a very picky eater on the trail.

Sending resupplies from towns that have good grocery stores up to towns that have bad resupply options can work out pretty well.