PDA

View Full Version : Mapdana - Enough for a Thru-Hike?

hikerjohnd
02-13-2005, 12:23
In a further effort to reduce pack weight, I have been looking into the Mapdana by Anti Gravity Gear (http://www.antigravitygear.com/products/bandanas.html). I'm curious as to whether the mapdana could replace the map and guidebook for a thru-hike. What do you all think?

UCONNMike
02-13-2005, 13:06
I had been wondering if the Mapdana would be a sufficent map system, i was planing to bring a guidebook, but i left the maps up to Blake (he wanted to have them). But they seem liek a cool item and i am eager to hear about people experiences with them.

orangebug
02-13-2005, 13:17
I have a set and have used the Southern one on my sections. It is great for phone numbers, mileage, campsite locations and the related info on the bandana. It is a superior bandana to all others with the large size. I would never use it as my "soil" bandana or my first aid gear. It strictly covers my pate and helps planning for the day. It is indespensible at home, as I carry it and can use it to stop the drooling whenever I dream of the next section.

It is no substitute for either a guide book or a map. That is not to imply that the ATC's maps are that helpful - I primarily look at the profile map. The guide book gives me more detail on water, views, history, blue blazes and other travel info.

I'm waiting for the flexible, touch sensitive LED bandana with built in cell phone and GPS. I'll be able to wireless connect to White Blaze all of the time and find out where the heck I am and who got my pizza.

Icicle
02-13-2005, 13:21
My husband and I each bought a set. We normally hike with Ordnance Survey maps here in the UK. We are really happy with the mapdana's.

We are bringing a copy of the Data Book as well.

neo
02-13-2005, 14:41
i only have from dalton mass to mt katahdin to go,i think i will get the mapdana 4,they look pretty cool.any way happy trails to all this year:sun neo

Kerosene
02-13-2005, 14:43
We are bringing a copy of the Data Book as well.I would think that you'd at least want the Data Book or Companion in addition to the basic maps on the Mapdanas. Of course, you don't get those nifty elevation profiles that alternately scare you about what's coming but don't accurately reflect the difficulty of many of the climbs.

Uncle Silly
02-13-2005, 15:13
i picked up a set of the mapdana's and plan to hike with them. i like maps in general and will probably hike with more detailed topo's as well, and of course that gives me the option of keeping both or choosing one over the other further down the trail.

i've seen a lot of people warn about the limited data (particularly water data, but also missing shelter & road info and other errata) on the mapdanas and i'm not sure quite what to do about it... i may update the mapdanas by hand (and sharpie), or carry the companion or data book for the details. i think the mapdanas are limited by their nature in what they can include, but i like what they've done within those limitations and i've no doubt i could survive with just the 'dana. at the same time, more detail would probably make my hike a lot easier!

Newb
02-13-2005, 15:42
Why do you need a map? You're either going north or south :confused:
If you look over your shoulder and the sun's not where it's supposed to be then you're going in the wrong direction.

Icicle
02-13-2005, 15:44
Of course, you don't get those nifty elevation profiles that alternately scare you about what's coming but don't accurately reflect the difficulty of many of the climbs.To tell you the truth, I am GLAD that data is not on the mapdana's! (although to some degree it is) When hiking with my husband he has a knack for "warning" me of upcoming elevations etc. I would rather just DO IT when we get to it...I don't like to dread an upcoming ascent or descent.

When we hiked the West Highland Way in Scotland he warned me about Devil's Staricase about 2 miles before we came to it...I got all worked up in my mind about it and was seriously dreading it. (Devil's Staircase is a zig zag nearly vertical path that ascends to 1,850 feet)

(http://www.transcotland.com/staircase.htm view from the top)

Half way up I was like...what was I dreading THIS for?

That's why I don't like topo's (or ordnance survey in the UK)...I like to do the hills (mountains), not dread them along the way! :)

orangebug
02-13-2005, 15:47
I had a thru hiker do the old 180 error in the Smokies, letting this poor section hiker know that his electronic compass and skills as a thru hiker let him know the correct direction. He walking into the setting sun (GSMNP) and away from the shelter after a pit stop.

If you can't use a compass or read a map, at least a mapdana will help keep the sweat out of your eyes.

bigcat2
02-13-2005, 15:49
I'm not a fan of them because I know on the AT1 section, unless a real recent revision, they have misinformation on it. They have towns in the wrong state that aren't really that close to the border. Bryson City being one of them , I'm highly biased I know, but still it's not the only town mislabled. :confused:

orangebug
02-13-2005, 15:59
It has been updated. I have both the old and the corrected.

However, the error problem is a good reason not to rely on the Mapdana alone. I bet the author would agree (where is TinMan on this?)

bigcat2
02-13-2005, 16:06
Thanks for the update orangebug. I can be less bitter now towards the company. LOL :clap

weary
02-13-2005, 16:40
If you look over your shoulder and the sun's not where it's supposed to be then you're going in the wrong direction.
The position of the sun isn't a good guide -- especially on rainy days and when the trail takes some wild swings.

Weary

Slimer
02-13-2005, 18:05
On my thru-hike I carried the ATC data book and found that it was all I needed as far as publications go. There were times when the companion would have been nice to have but you would be surprised as to how much info. you pick up just by word of mouth.

Frosty
02-13-2005, 20:07
If you look over your shoulder and the sun's not where it's supposed to be then you're going in the wrong direction.This will work great in the Grayson Highlands and between Zealand and Crawford Notch.

flyfisher
02-13-2005, 21:12
I'm not a fan of them because I know on the AT1 section, unless a real recent revision, they have misinformation on it. They have towns in the wrong state that aren't really that close to the border. Bryson City being one of them , I'm highly biased I know, but still it's not the only town mislabled. :confused:

?? Did they move Bryson City out of North Carolina since the AT1 was printed?? That is where it is printed, and to the best of my knowledge that is whtere it actually is.
:)

I use the Mapdanas a lot. I have written a lot about them here. The AT1 has a number of errors, mainly ommissions. They are all listed on the Antigravity site and can be look up ahead of time and then written with a sharpie on the Mapdana.

Mapdana #1 is still in its first edition. Something tells me it will come out in a new version before too long, but probably not before this thru-hiker crop needs them. As is, I have have walked all 450 miles. It was missing one shelter that I needed to know about (Cable Gap) and a couple water sources. All those errors can now be read and marked beforehand.

Mapdana #2 of Virginia had some serious problems in the printing of the map in the first edition. It was replaced about 6 months ago with a new version, and Antigravity Gear honors its promise to replace the first edition as advertised on their web pages.

I am going to be testing the AT2 this summer and looking for any errors. Right now, none have been reported, but then not many people have walked its 500 miles looking for errors yet.

Disclosure: I do not work for Antigravity Gear. I have written back and forth with TinMan at Antigravity Gear on correcting AT1 as a hiker. I also have been involved in getting the Mapdanas tested by the BackpackGearTest.org group, where I am a moderator.

flyfisher
02-13-2005, 21:15
On my thru-hike I carried the ATC data book and found that it was all I needed as far as publications go. There were times when the companion would have been nice to have but you would be surprised as to how much info. you pick up just by word of mouth.

In my opinion, the Mapdana, by using the DataBook's data and a portion of the material from the companion, has about the right stuff neeed to hike.

Peaks
02-13-2005, 21:29
The mapdana is about as much a map as the UPS Appalachain Trail strip map is. I'd say it's not a substitute for detailed map.

orangebug
02-13-2005, 21:46
True, it is a coarse map without the fine detail of gaps, country roads and such. But it does a fine job of showing you where you are in general, and where local trail resources - on and off trail - can be found. It offers quite a lot in 4 square feet of cotton.

MedicineMan
02-14-2005, 00:31
with how many uses for a bandanna? it might as well be a map too....i bought one just because i've got the corresponding National Park System equivalents and think besides functional they look good too. And it would be hard to use the databook or companion to stop a bleed, hold a gauze pad on a burn, strap a branch to a broken limb, etc...

Mountain Dew
02-14-2005, 02:54
I used one in the Erwin Tenn. area last october and found it very helpful.

Buckingham
08-28-2005, 11:16
I did'nt vote yet as I just now ordered my Mapdana. I'm leaving to do my section hike in 10 days. I'll let you know how it worked when I get back.

Jack Tarlin
08-28-2005, 15:05
Sure you can rely on a map bandana as an informational or navigational device.

You might wanna replace your hydration bag with a magazine ad displaying a water jug, too, but I don't think it's a particularly clever idea.

TogetherinParis
03-28-2006, 21:40
Baltimore Jack! Do you really think that? It's a well marked trail, some people send their compasses home. You've been over the trail so many times, you ought to have it memorized by now. I'm sure we'd all like to hear more about what you think on this matter and why, I know I would.

Panzer1
03-29-2006, 00:27
I agree with Jack, you should have a proper map and guide book. They are worth their weight.

However I do like the way the mapdana looks. I think they are cool. Because of its large size it makes a real neat bandana. I am thinking of getting one to replace my old bandana.

Panzer

orangebug
03-29-2006, 09:07
The best thing about the bandana is is the phone directory of trail services. There isn't room (in spite of the huge size) for the detail in the map or the Databook portions for key information to deal with emergencies. The ATC maps are only marginally better.

James Fetter
03-29-2006, 09:56
My Mapdana hangs on my office wall. It serves as a constant reminder of where I really wish I was. Doing 50 miles next week. The Mapdana is staying in the office. I'll take the maps. jnf

alanthealan
04-05-2006, 12:23
It really depends on the individual. I used madanna's last year, and for some of the trail I carried pages of the companion. In time I got comforterable with just a danna. I didn't pay much attenion to were I was doing the day, just had a genral idea. I didn't have a problem with that, however some people want to know the very ridge they are on and the danna doesn't give that to you most of the time. Everything you need for a thru is in it if you just like to walk along and not think too much. Also everyone and there brother has there wingfoot or data book out so it's not to hard to get more details if you want them.