PDA

View Full Version : Bought A New BackPack!

RagingHampster
12-09-2002, 12:01
Kelty Trekker 4300 External Frame "Hired".
LL Bean Mt. Washington 5500 Internal Frame "Retired".

I've been using an internal frame, and tried my friends external frame for the first time the other day. What a difference! I enjoyed the incredibly stiff way it carried a load, and how easy it distributes the weight. No sweaty back anymore!, as the frame holds the bag about 3/4" off from my back. I also like the ability to strap extra stuff to the frame, instead of loops on the fabric of my internal frame. My instep crampons ripped a hole in the fabric of my old bag, now I can strap them to the metal frame of my new pack and not worry about it. This is a no-frills pack too. I hated the big floppy top pocket on my old bag, and always hiked with it off. I've read reviews of people carrying 100lbs. plus with it with no problems. My normal 35-40lb (including 3 quarts of water) load for the weekend feels like I'm carrying air. best of all, I scored it for $100. More to come as I use and abuse it...

SGT Rock
12-09-2002, 12:44
Gongrats. Make sure you get the suspension set up right or that frame will give your spine the same stiffness that it gives your load.

attroll
12-10-2002, 02:00
I got rid of my LL Bean Mt. Washington 5500 Internal Frame this summer. It was 5.5 lbs. I got a new one that LL Bean makes that they came out with this year called a White Mtn Mountaineer. It comes in under 4 lbs. I like this one ten times better. I still want something lighter though. Thinking about trying out the gearskin by Moonbow. But I really like having a frame for support.

Frog
01-01-2004, 08:23
As with most backpackers i have several packs collected threw the years. I bought a Dana Designs Shortbed several years ago. This is a pack that works like an interal but is a frame pack. For longer trips this is my pack of choice. For weekend hikes i prefer an Osprey ether.

brian
01-01-2004, 11:43
Attroll, go for it, go get the gearskin. It could be the last pack you ever buy:P.

Brian
Future Thru Hiker 2013

Lilred
01-01-2004, 11:51
Kelty Trekker 4300 External Frame "Hired".
LL Bean Mt. Washington 5500 Internal Frame "Retired".

I've been using an internal frame, and tried my friends external frame for the first time the other day. What a difference! I enjoyed the incredibly stiff way it carried a load, and how easy it distributes the weight. No sweaty back anymore!, as the frame holds the bag about 3/4" off from my back. I also like the ability to strap extra stuff to the frame, instead of loops on the fabric of my internal frame. My instep crampons ripped a hole in the fabric of my old bag, now I can strap them to the metal frame of my new pack and not worry about it. This is a no-frills pack too. I hated the big floppy top pocket on my old bag, and always hiked with it off. I've read reviews of people carrying 100lbs. plus with it with no problems. My normal 35-40lb (including 3 quarts of water) load for the weekend feels like I'm carrying air. best of all, I scored it for $100. More to come as I use and abuse it...

I have a Kelty Trekker 3900 and love it. Good choice.