PDA

View Full Version : Maps

cochon
08-20-2011, 14:54
This may be a really stupid question, but I am wondering how exactly a map helps you on the trail. Are there some sort of markers or recognizable landmarks on the trail itself? Would I need a map if I am going to be on the trail for just a week? Also, how easy is it to stay on the trail? Are the trees marked a certain color? And what about camp sites? Is there location somehow indicated (this is for New York) Finally, can I just print a good map somewhere?

emerald
08-20-2011, 15:03
http://www.appalachiantrail.org

Are there some sort of markers or recognizable landmarks on the trail itself?

The A.T. is marked in a variety of ways including but not limited to 2x6 inch white, painted blazes at eye-level on trees, telephone poles, rocks and cairns.

Would I need a map if I am going to be on the trail for just a week?

A map can be helpful in many ways and its potential value increases with every day to be spent on the trail.

How easy is it to stay on the trail?

It varies considerably from one place and time to another depending upon the weather, the hour of the day and season of the year.

What about campsites (this is for New York)? Finally, can I just print a good map somewhere?

For more information on these questions, visit ATC's website and refer to the official guides, handbooks and maps. The map(s) for the section(s) in which you are interested may or may not be available for purchase seperately. Proceeds from the sale of the official A.T. guides and maps benefit A.T. maintaining clubs and their volunteers who provide this world-class recreational opportunity.

DaveSail
08-20-2011, 15:15
The trail is so well marked and traveled that a map is not required for navigation .
That being said , I sometimes like a map / compass to identify features , ( Towns ,
Lakes , Mountains , Rivers , etc. ) seen from the trail or summits . The weight
penalty need not be great . David V. Webber

Blissful
08-20-2011, 20:58
The NY maps are awesome - very exact, esp at crossings. There are several road crossings and I was glad for my map. But I still got off trail on Bear Mtn because of the reroutes.

4eyedbuzzard
08-20-2011, 21:32
Even though the trail is well blazed (white blazes, hence this web site's name), in areas with a lot of intersecting trails, especially the Whites where the AT is known by local trail names that it is routed over, a map is better than just a good idea. But even everywhere else, a map shows terrain features such as peaks, rivers, lakes, side trails to roads (think resupply, bail out for weather, injury, family emergency, etc). And from my experience, people who don't carry maps are all too often asking to see mine. And I, and others that it happens too, may be polite - but trust me we find such behavior annoying and irresponsible. I have even begun asking, "What happened, did you lose yours?" A map weighs a few ounces and isn't that expensive. A cheap dime size compass weighs less than one ounce. Get them.

Ezra
08-21-2011, 19:19
Better to have it with you and not need it, than to need it (especially when it is getting dark) and not have one with you.

sore ankle
09-03-2011, 12:03
The trail is usually easy to follow because of the white blazes. I like taking a map because 1) it lets me see alternative places to stop for the night if I need to make a schedule adjustment; 2) it shows elevation changes; and 3) it lets me see road crossings that I may need to use if someone has a physical problem and needs to get off the trail.

BadAndy
09-03-2011, 13:02
The only time I don't carry a map is on a day hike any maybe on overnighter where I am very familiar witht the area. Otherwise, always carry a map and guidebook pages for where you are hiking. You don't generally need a map to stay on the AT but, as others have said, it can prove invaluble when plans change or the world goes to hell. Plus it's nice to know what's around you.

hikerboy57
09-03-2011, 13:07
the primary use of maps on the AT is to show side trails, so you can have exit strategies should conditions turn bad, as well as finding the nearest towns,campsits, shelters, etc.the AT is well blazed, very few sections where you would get lost if you're paying attention. as someoone above said, theyre not necessary, but better to have them if you need them.

Hikes in Rain
09-04-2011, 16:22
Another use is a general "lay of the land" view at a high point. "Mount such and such is over there, and somethin' or other holler is there....."

Slo-go'en
09-04-2011, 17:05
For a map to be of any use, you need to keep track of about where you are on it. Road names are often not posted where the trail physically crosses. Trail junctions usually have a sign, but sometimes it is missing. Other landmarks are often not visable since your in the woods or in a valley with limited views of whats around you.

So, if you suddenly find yourself lost, having a map may not help you if you don't know about where you were on it to begin with. Therefore, it is wise to have both a map and a trail guide, since the trail guide gives you more frequent land marks on the ground along the trail to keep track of your progress and from that can help pin point your location on the map. Then from the map you can then see what is around or near you and off the trail.