PDA

View Full Version : When is peak fall color in SNP?

theoilman
08-20-2011, 16:12
When is the Fall Colors peak for SNP? Just the average or typical. (I know it will vary by annual weather and elevation.)

emerald
08-20-2011, 16:33
Mid-October might be about as good an answer as you'll get. Color begins to develop much earlier with black walnut and black gum typically leading off. Red and sugar maples may contribute the most brilliant color at the peak, while oaks predominate later with their more muted tones. Many species play smaller roles including ashes, sumacs and even poison ivy.

Mrs Baggins
08-20-2011, 16:35
Generally, early - mid October. It peaks up there earlier than down below the park. If you're seeing beautiful colors before you even get to the park then you may have already missed it once you're up on the parkway and just see bare trees. And when it does peak, the traffic will be bumper to bumper on the parkway and the lodging will booked solid. I had to book 2 rooms for myself and 3 friends last month in order to be sure we got them for early October. And they were already disappearing fast. We'll be day hiking in the park.

johnnybgood
08-20-2011, 19:22
The peak foliage is generally mid October to late October depending on such factors as rainfall amounts and nighttime cooling.

Click on my signature closer to October for information regarding peak predictions.

theoilman
08-20-2011, 21:31
Thanks to all.