PDA

View Full Version : Which State to Hike in October?

fass1
08-20-2011, 16:22
Hello,

I'm hoping that this community can help my girlfriend and me decide where to do a 5-day hike during the first week in October. This will be both of our first time on the A.T. We were thinking either Vermont or Massachusetts, but are open to other suggestions as well. In addition to which state, we would like suggestions on exactly what portion of that state would be suitable for a nice 5-day hike. We would like to see some great scenery and hike through some nice altitude changes (of course). Final question: Is early-to-mid October too late to be that far north?

Thanks.

Slo-go'en
08-20-2011, 16:46
So long as you stay in southern Vermont, you should be fine. If the weather is good, you can't beat that time of year in southern Vermont, colors will be about peak and nights crisp. However, if the weather is bad, it can really suck big time. 2-3 days of nearly constant 40 degree drizzle or light rain can be quite misserable that time of year. Just be sure to bring a decent rain jacket, mid weight fleece jacket and a change of dry clothes for camp/sleeping in. Chances are good you'd get at least one day of rain in any week long streach of time that time of year.

After the summer you guys have had in TX, the fall weather in Vermont could be quite a shock to the system. You might not want to go home ;)

FatMan
08-20-2011, 20:56
The first week of October is perfect for GA. Although you will not be in color season, the temps for hiking will be wonderful.

Blissful
08-20-2011, 21:03
Mid Oct - Shenandoah NP. esp if this is your first AT experience.

But I think Grayson Highlands is beautiful too in Oct.

Sly
08-20-2011, 21:32
First of October? All of Maine south.

harryfred
08-20-2011, 21:39
Any of PA or MD is great that time of year. I will hike almost every weekend in Oct and Nov.

4eyedbuzzard
08-20-2011, 21:43
First of October? All of Maine south. OP says they are first time AT hikers. They say they want some altitude change. So, bein' a good NH ambassador, I immediately thought of the Franconia to Gorham section (there's a wee bit of altitude change there). The downside is that there aren't many other sections that can live up to that introduction in terms of scenic views and outright ruggedness. Might prove a bit of a brutal introduction as well though - as might western ME.

johnnybgood
08-20-2011, 22:01
Grayson Highlands gets my vote -- Ponies and scenic open balds .

Driver8
08-21-2011, 00:34
I'd say start just north of Manchester and Stratton Mtn and work south. The weather usually will cooperate that time of year and the foliage should be amazing. Your max elevation, at Stratton, will be 3940', and you'll be above 2.5K a good amount of the time. Depending on your pace, you can get as far as North Adams, Mass or Cheshire, Mass, either on the north or the south side of Greylock, which in either event is worth a visit for the views, time permitting, especially in peak foliage season. On a clear day there and atop Stratton you can see Mt. Washington - I had that good fortune with both last fall.

peakbagger
08-21-2011, 06:54
I would stay south of New England for sure as it can get to below freezing at night in October and the summits in the whites can get overnight snow adn ice conditions, definitely not something someone from Texas is going to be ready for. I enjoyed the section from the North end of the Shenadoah National Park into PA 10 years ago in late September/early October. It did get below freezing a few nights but did warm up during the day. Water sources were a bit if a hassle in Marlyland.

I'm gimpy
08-21-2011, 12:01
Anywhere in the southern states will have almost perfect conditions. I will be hiking from SNP south to the James river(Central VA.) starting first of Oct. Grayson Highlands is a great section, it has alt. changes, awesome views and Ponies running around everywhere. The temps won't get below freezing usually, but can get darn close. Days average anywhere from 60's -80's. I don't think you wil be disappointed in Grayson Highlands.

Driver8
08-21-2011, 12:41
I would stay south of New England for sure as it can get to below freezing at night in October and the summits in the whites can get overnight snow adn ice conditions, definitely not something someone from Texas is going to be ready for.

That's a Texas-sized assumption. The OP doesn't share about previous hiking experience. For all we know, they've hiked the Colorado Trail thru.

fass1: In VT, you want to be ready for low temps as low as 20 F, but more commonly 30-40 F that time of year. The later into October, the greater the potential for winter weather. If your hike is more mid-Oct, for best foliage, I'd recommend Great Barrington, MA to Kent, MA. Mountains aren't quite as high (2602', Mt. Everett, is high point) and it's a littler further south. Add about 5-10 F to temps vs. southern VT.

If you do GB to Kent, definitely treat yourself to the Race Brook Falls Trail between Mts. Everett and Race - 6 nice waterfalls in a 0.3 mile stretch of trail for a 1.5 mile detour each way. There's a camping area on that trail, with platforms, too. Could be a nice place to overnight. Also, Salisbury is a very hiker-friendly town, though it's on the pricey side.

The Snowman
08-21-2011, 17:44
Conn. is always a great place to start hiking the AT lots of elevation and great views of the river.

peakbagger
08-22-2011, 07:25
Driver8 stated I made a Texas based assumption on the orignal posters ability. I would rather assume they are underexperienced than over experienced. Many folks underestimate the weather in Northern NE in October. There are usually a spate of rescues in October in the whites due to underequipped hikers who arent equipped for the cold. Usually the weather shift from summer to fall hits just about when the leaves start changing (late Sept/early Oct)and as many folks have learned, that usually means cold and rainy weather with icing conditions on the summits. Day hikers have the option of waiting a day or two until it warms up but section hikers generally dont. All of the AMC huts are closed, so there arent a lot of options of getting out of the weather. The other thing not planned for is once the trees stop taking up water around leaf drop time, the streams and rivers respond a lot more rapidly to rainfall leading to some cold and wet crossings. The addtional gear required also adds base weight.

fass1
08-22-2011, 09:48
Everyone,

Thanks for all of the thoughtful and informative responses. Since several people mentioned Grayson Highlands we are looking into VA now. Neither one of have been to Virginia so we fee excited to check it out. I did a little bit of reserach on Grayson Highlands and I have two follow-up questions: (1) Since the portion of the AT going through Grayson Highlands is relatively short, would the recommendation be that we start there and work North, or start there and work South, or walk a seciton that straddles the Grayson Highlands? (2) The Grayson Highlands website states that they have snow as early as September. Is that a fairly conservative warning, or might we actually run into some real winter weather there as well?

Also, since it seemed like some of those responding were curious as to our experience level, we are both fairly novice backpackers. We are trying to compensate for that with thorough planning.

Thanks again.

ScottP
08-22-2011, 11:02
You should hike from Damascus, VA to Fox Creek and get a shuttle back to damascus from that crossing. You'll get the views in and south of Grayson

That should be a good 5 days for novice hikers.

Roan Highlands are also a nice highlight in that same general area. Hiking from US19E, parking and getting a shuttle about 50 miles south from Mountain Harbor BnB will make for a good trip.

As far as snow, I'd assume that you might run into a dusting or a in inch or two--it will be a fun experience without any real risk or added difficulty.

fass1
08-22-2011, 19:06
OK. I looked at Damascus to Fox Creek--seems about 40 miles with nice topography. That will probably be far enough because I don't think that we plan to be too aggressive about it. We'll start planning on that. Thanks for your help.

Texas
08-24-2011, 00:02
I am headed to The White Mountains on September 16-25th. I am still trying to decide if I am headed north or south. I now live in Houston also, but lived in Jackson New Hampshire a looong time ago. In early October the weather in usually good, but it can get nasty and bite you. I plan for 30 degrees and hope for 40-55 nights.

4eyedbuzzard
08-24-2011, 00:26
I am headed to The White Mountains on September 16-25th. I am still trying to decide if I am headed north or south. I now live in Houston also, but lived in Jackson New Hampshire a looong time ago. In early October the weather in usually good, but it can get nasty and bite you. I plan for 30 degrees and hope for 40-55 nights.

I'd go "north" (actual direction is generally more northeast) to keep the prevailing westerly winds at my back. You can't predict the wind / weather day to day, but you can go with the averages.

Boots73
08-24-2011, 13:24
Just be prepared for cold and or wet weather and possibly some quick temperture changes.

virgil
08-24-2011, 15:16
Last month I hiked the Vermont AT section that Driver8 recommended, only going North from N. Adams MA. It's about 3.5 miles north to the MA/VT border, then you're in Green Mountain National Forest (VT) the rest of the hike. It would be beautiful in October. Cool at night. You'll have to figure your own mileage as to how many total miles you want to hike in the 5 days (I'm 10-12 mile a day guy myself). There are several access roads in that stretch. I had great camp sites at Consultation Peak (bring water), Porcupine Lookout (bring water) and Kid Gore Shelter (has good water).

Driver8
08-24-2011, 19:20
I would rather assume they are underexperienced than over experienced. Many folks underestimate the weather in Northern NE in October. There are usually a spate of rescues in October in the whites due to underequipped hikers who arent equipped for the cold. ...

The OP wasn't talking about the Whites, but rather VT and Mass.

Fass1: Grayson or Mass/VT would be beautiful, either one. The foliage will be better in New England in early October, better in VA the further you go into October. You should be prepared for cold nights, especially, in either place. Even to cover 40 miles of Appalachian Trail in five days in either place, you want to be in pretty good shape, b/c trail is much harder than the flat stuff you experience, mostly, walking outside in Houston. If a 10 mile walk or run in Houston is easy for you on a warm to hot day and if you are mildly obese or better, you s/b OK.

Work hard to keep your pack weight to a minimum. There's plenty of good brains here to pick about that. Try walking lots of stairs or a parking garage before you go. It'll help with prepping for climbing.

MedicineWoman2012
08-24-2011, 19:39
All the planning in the world on WB will not compensate for the experience you would need in smokies or whites...novice backpackers (week long backpacking on MTS , PCT, ?) its alot of difference week long treks at altitude and cold temps versus flat areas with several road crossings along the way....or novice backpackers that day hike only? I thought I had alot of experience backpacking til I met my match climbing outta 4.5m Fontana (smokies) recently to find limited water supplies and three bears greeting me at shelter that was unexpectedly closing because of bear activity...teehee.

MedicineWoman2012
08-24-2011, 19:50
OP..keep in mind 10 miles along AT is more like 20 in Texas or Floridas terrain. I vote SNP also..Grayson Highlands is the best for first time out!

Driver8
08-24-2011, 23:11
Shenandoah might be your best bet. You're in a national park there, busy and well tended, relatively easy hiking, and it will be a bit warmer than New England. Plus tons of beautiful overlooks and very nice side trails, so I hear. I've heard Grayson can be quite tough.