PDA

View Full Version : town apparal?

ekeverette
08-20-2011, 20:06
when you get to town and you put your crocks on, do you have an extra set of cotten clothes packed in a separate water proof bag?

ChinMusic
08-20-2011, 20:25
Nope. Don't even bring Crocs.

Will try to wash up as soon as possible.

4eyedbuzzard
08-20-2011, 20:33
Not a thru-hiker, but if I was I definitely wouldn't bother with the extra weight of "town clothes". You'll understand the "no extra weight" after the first few uphill grinds.

leaftye
08-20-2011, 20:46
I'm only do town clothes in a bounce box, but that assumes I have something else worthwhile to bounce from town to town. The extra weight and hassle of doing laundry and the front and back of stays in town because of those town clothes doesn't seem worth it.

rjhouser
08-20-2011, 20:54
nope not worth it

Nutbrown
08-20-2011, 23:33
Just wash up in a restroom to defunk before you sit down for dinner.

WingedMonkey
08-21-2011, 00:46
when you get to town and you put your crocks on, do you have an extra set of cotten clothes packed in a separate water proof bag?

On a long distance hike, yes. But not cotton. It's the same clothes I wear on the plane or train or bus to get to the trail and back. Nice enough to not look homeless, but sturdy enough for hiking if I need them. Depends on the weather where I'm going if it's just shorts or convertible pants.
I prefer to clean up on the trail before town if I can and not in some laundry or restaurant washroom.

darkage
08-21-2011, 03:06
nope, on my long 3week+ sections i've carried one cotton shirt, and that was ONLY because it was summer and as we all know cotton drys slow, so its best too soak in a stream and wear as it will help pull the heat from your body while sitting for lunch or first few hours of pushing on ... otherwise i sit an eat after a wash down in a restroom or creek before town ... i'm gonna do the same for my thru ... one cotton shirt can be picked up once weather turns warm, i won't start with one.

bigcranky
08-21-2011, 09:17
For a weekend hike, I don't pack any extra clothing. But for a long distance hike, I bring a second pair of hiking shorts and a second base layer top. The total weight is maybe 12 ounces. This set has multiple uses:

1. In hot weather, my hiking clothes are soaked at the end of the day, so I can wash up and put on dry clothes.

2. In cold weather, if I end up getting wet for any reason, I have dry layers to put on.

3. If I trash my clothes for any reason, I have something to put on. (Done that, falling on a mud slick.)

4. When I get to town I have some clean-ish clothing to wear to the motel, the laundromat, and the bar. (Not necessarily in that order.)

Most of the time the second base layer top is long sleeved, as my primary top is short sleeved. That way I can mix and match as needed.

Of course it's extra weight, and like any hiker I am mindful of everything I put in my pack.

BigHodag
08-21-2011, 09:38
Like WingedMonkey above, the clothes I travel to the trail in are my clothes for the entire trip. I carry one set of clean dry clothes for either an emergency or for changing into after cleaning up at the end of the hike.

I wear a lightweight long-sleeved fishing shirt and long fishing pants as I've found these the lightest. While hiking the outer shirt rides in the top of my pack and is largely used in the evening and for sleeping in if I need a bit more warmth.

When going to town, I like to shower and shampoo at a park or pool first, rinse and wring out the skivvies, and don the outer shirt. This year showers were unavailable so I settled for a sponge bath and rinsing out my long under shirt at a spigot about 2 miles out. I donned my outer shirt before entering the store.

Bottom line: I try to be as inoffensive and polite as possible to maintain and build goodwill towards AT hikers. Recommend others do the same.

garlic08
08-21-2011, 12:56
I don't carry town clothes either. If I don't get a chance to rinse off at a stream on the way to town, the laundromat is my first stop and I'll wear my rain gear while the laundry's in the machine. There's definitely no cotton in my pack, other than the bandanna.

When I get off trail and need to make a long trip home, I'll try to find a thrift store or dollar store and buy some cheap cotton clothes for the trip. I got one of my favorite dress shirts that way. I may throw away the hiking clothes at that point, too, depending on how tough the trail was.

max patch
08-21-2011, 13:12
What in the world are "town clothes" and "crocs"?

58starter
08-21-2011, 14:57
Nope, I just ask where they would like for us to sit. It is ok with me if they take me to the back of the resturant.