02-13-2005, 16:44
just want to hear from people that have been thru mahoosuc notch
how long does it take,average,fast,slow,is it fun or a pain:sun neo

Lone Wolf
02-13-2005, 16:45
I did it in 40 minutes once.

MileMonster
02-13-2005, 16:53
It took Double Nickels and I a couple of hours and I would consider our progress slow through there. It had rained that morning and the Notch was wet We were taking our time so as not to have a Hike-ending injury! I thought the climb up Mahoosuc Arm was a beast, too. We went from Carlo Col Shelter to Speck Pond Shelter that day. A day short on miles, 9.5, but long on effort. Speck Pond is a nice spot but it's a pay shelter.

Moose2001
02-13-2005, 16:57
Took us 65 mintues to do the Notch. It looked like rain the morning we went through and I was VERY happy it held off. Enjoyable hike and not nearly as bad as it was hyped. Have to agree with MileMonster's comments on the Arm! By the time we got to Speck Pond, we were beat. Enjoyed a very sunny afternoon laying on the rocks next to the pond, watching the fish and just enjoying the sun.

weary
02-13-2005, 17:04
One snowy February it took me about 20 minutes. It was just a gentle, inclined plane. All the rocks and caves were buried under 30 feet of snow. Without snow I usually figure on a fun couple of hours. One snowy October it took four hours. That was the trip where my socks melted in front of the fire at Full Goose Shelter.

Weary

poison_ivy
02-13-2005, 17:28
It took me an hour & 45 minutes to get through the notch -- I am a pretty slow hiker in general. The guys I was with started after me and finished much faster. It was definitely one of my favorite sections of the AT so far -- I'm a big fan of scrambling.

I'll agree with others -- Mahoosuc Arm was the tougher part!

- Ivy

wacocelt
02-13-2005, 18:12
I went SoBo through the notch in a torrential down pour in just under an hour carrying an external frame pack, never took it off. I find it amusing how tough some people sell some very easy bits of hiking to be.

Slimer
02-13-2005, 18:22
Hour and a half maybe.....I was alone going through it, would have been more fun with other people around because you can get some good pics of your friends such as the pic of your buddy being dangled from his ankles while trying to retrieve his Leki that fell into the deepest hole.

TJ aka Teej
02-13-2005, 18:27
There's no average, Neo. Secure your loose gear, stow your hat, and climb on in. It's more fun with some other hikers, it's cooler solo, and it's faster sobo. The Arm is the Pain, the Pond is the reward.

Footslogger
02-13-2005, 18:54
We went through the notch in 2003 as a group of 4. We were laughing so hard and taking pictures that time really wasn't a factor. All things considered I think we made it through in about an hour and a half.

'Slogger
AT 2003

rumbler
02-13-2005, 19:46
The notch was quite interesting, although I would have been happier doing it when the skies were not raining.

I do not have as fond of memories of the arm.

rocket04
02-13-2005, 20:07
I think I did it in about an hour in wet conditions. And it was definitely tons of fun!

vtpete
02-13-2005, 21:31
Took me about 1.5 house to get thru the notch but why hurry thru such an interesting place. The climb up the arm took much longer and I found a place to stealth camp past the top. However, there is a great place to camp going north just after the notch if you need it.

vtpete

neo
02-13-2005, 23:21
i was reading in ed garveys book on his 1970 thru hike it took him an hour and 25 minutes to get thru the notch.:sun neo

The Solemates
02-14-2005, 13:54
1.0-1.5 hours seems to be the consensus. It took us right at an hour.

Peaks
02-14-2005, 20:52
1.0-1.5 hours seems to be the consensus. It took us right at an hour.

The Notch is completely different from every other mile on the AT. It's a mile of bouldering. Enjoy it. I'd plan on at least 1 1/2 hour.

weary
02-14-2005, 21:42
The Notch is not difficult, but it is slow. You are essentially bouldering as someone mentioned. I've always found it fascinating, so I've never been tempted to hurry. The guidebooks suggest year round ice exists in some of the deep caves, so I keep looking to spot some -- so far without success.

How rapid one goes through, really depends on how comfortable one is climbing on near vertical rocks. I've never noticed anything particularly dangerous -- other than that everywhere on the trail one can always fall if one is not cautious. I just have found it fun, though I prefer dry days to rain and freezing rain.

Weary

MOWGLI
02-14-2005, 22:39
It took me two hours, but I was sick. I didn't enjoy it at all, but when you're dizzy and trying not to toss your cookies, its kinda understandable why it's not very fun. I'd like to go back and do it again sometime.

I met a woman going sobo who was about halfway through. It had taken her 2 hours to get that far. She was hysterically crying, and asked me how much farther. I told her another hour or so, and she seemed to get even more upset. I felt bad for her, but there was little I could do. She wasn't physically injured. Just kinda traumatized by the notch.

walkin' wally
02-15-2005, 15:42
I have been through twice. Both times were less than an hour.

I think the problem someone might have going through is twisting an ankle or banging your head or a knee. The really isn't any elevation issue in the notch but the mountains on each side are very steep. There is a blue blaze side trail on one end of the notch that goes down to the Success Pond road.

Heading northbound a hiker can see the slopes of Fulling mill and Mahoosuc mountains coming down in the distance and there is hardly any flat space between them. Just two sharp angles. Northbounders can listen for water underneath the rocks and that means that you are getting towards the end of the notch. Ice can seen under some of the rocks in the summer too.

There isn't anything to fear in the notch just take your time.

Trout
02-15-2005, 20:42
I was through in August & there was ice down low inside the rocks.

Flash Hand
02-16-2005, 02:07

Wondering what the difference between PA Rocks and Mahoosuc Notch... how long and how many hours difference?

Flash Hand :jump

minnesotasmith
02-16-2005, 03:50
"I find it amusing how tough some people sell some very easy bits of hiking to be."

Exactly so. When I first hiked the Approach Trail in its entirety, I had read about how many a prospective through-hiker quit between Amicalola and Springer, so I was a bit worried about what I would encounter. It really was not hard at all, just kind of long to anyone who had not been doing long walks, so I figure on discounting by at least 50% what to expect when I've read anyone saying a section of trail was "so, so hard! ".:rolleyes: (Waah - mbulance probably needed.)

Buddman
02-16-2005, 09:04
It took me about 2.5 hours to hike the notch this last July. It was raining and I had zip for traction. I had a two groups of scouts ahead of me to work through but the slow pace didn't matter because the "Notch" is the most challenging scramble I have had on the AT. The Arm was a steady pull put compared to the Notch it was an easy walk for me.

Skyline
02-16-2005, 09:35
Took me nearly three hours, but I foolishly went against doctor's advice that year just a few months after having gamma knife radiosurgery for a brain tumor. Severe balance problems for almost a year. Not smart, and it was difficult for me. But most of y'all can probably empathize when the AT comes calling you don't want to stay home and veg out on the couch.

It had been my intention to finish that year (2001), but I only got from Crawford Notch to Rangeley. Skipped 2002 and finished in 2003.

Lion King
02-24-2005, 02:01
I did it last year stoned and in the dark...took 2 hours...camped right after it, and right before the arm.

Next day did my own Blue blazin right past the water source to avoid the damn Arm(Rather the water source off to the right of the campsite, crossed that and continued walking on a game trail), followed the game trail, walked along the edge of the Arm at its base the whole way, came to a snowmobile trail which lead to a road which lead to Grafton Notch.

Blueblazes never let you down! But I dont suggest taking this particular route, I do this kind of stuff a lot so I dont get freaked when it takes a lot of time, and it isnt marked, and there is no real trail...but it was fun.

bearbait2k4
02-24-2005, 03:16
"I find it amusing how tough some people sell some very easy bits of hiking to be."

Any one portion of the AT can be seen as an easy hike, all on it's own....if you are in great mental and physical shape (stressing the mental state).

The fact is, however, that you don't know what shape any person will be in when they get to a certain point on the trail. I've practically run up portions of the trail that were hard for others, and have equally drug myself up other portions that were cake for anyone else I ran into. I had a hard time on the approach trail, and have hiked with others who do the approach trail on a daily basis who can't keep up with me, mid-season, on the AT. It really depends on when and why you are doing this certain portion of the trail.

If you are speaking of NOBO thru-hikers who are hitting the Mahoosuc Notch, then they'll probably tell you that it's awesome, because they've seen it all, except for this, and a deviation from the norm is what you're looking for after walking 1800 miles. However, a SOBO could tell you that it's just more of freaking Maine, and they are about ready to cry. It really just depends on who you are asking. Difficulty is completely subjective.

I went through the notch after a really difficult time in my life, and, seriously, it wasn't easy - - I don't think it would have been easy to do without my burdens - - however, it is such a unique part of the trail that I would have to suggest that you plan in at least an hour an a half, regardless of where you're coming from (NOBO, SOBO, section, weekender, etc). I would actually suggest that anyone getting out there to thru-hike, or even section hike, to make time for Maine...and not 16-20 miles a day. Just make the time to enjoy it, because it is BEAUTIFUL.

Pooja Blue
02-24-2005, 07:01
It took me several HOURS but I was hiking alone and in the snow.

-MYST-
02-24-2005, 09:14
Took me a little less than a hour including the time I took to stop at the north end and rinse myself off, I was covered in dirt from climbing all those rocks and tunnels. Tried to take some pictures to capture the area, but they just don't do it justice. Oh yeah, I made it through wihout taking my external frame pack off. Thats why I got so dirty, I had to squeeze through.

MileMonster
02-24-2005, 10:18
It is often said that the Notch is the "toughest mile on the Treail." What I tell folks that ask is that, for me, it wasn't the toughest mile on the Trail but it was the slowest.

Skyline
02-24-2005, 10:35
It is often said that the Notch is the "toughest mile on the Treail." What I tell folks that ask is that, for me, it wasn't the toughest mile on the Trail but it was the slowest.

If you're talking physically tough, IMO there's a mile-plus section on the climb up the Hunt Trail (Katahdin) that's tougher, but Mahoosuc Notch would probably win second place.