PDA

View Full Version : Harpers Ferry 15 Feb

Newb
02-13-2005, 17:04
Hey all. It's gonna be in the upper 60s on Tuesday (15 Feb) in the Harpers, VA area. Perfect chance for a 2 day out and back to check my gear loadout. Gonna head south, then back. Anyone else gonna be in the area?

J.D.
02-14-2005, 09:00
Hey all. It's gonna be in the upper 60s on Tuesday (15 Feb) in the Harpers, VA area. Perfect chance for a 2 day out and back to check my gear loadout. Gonna head south, then back. Anyone else gonna be in the area?
OMIGAWD is that ever tempting....!!!

Saw the forecast last night and started drooling. It's 8 AM and I gotta start to shuffle things around.... Will try VERY hard to get away!

I'm just down the road from you in Woodbridge, email me directly:

JD at Hoessle dot com

Newb
02-17-2005, 22:09
J.D. and I hooked up and headed south from Bear's Den Hostel on the 15th. We went south to the Sam Moore shelter and hunkered down for the night.
J.D. brought his dog, Sky. She was very helpful, always there to stick her nose into my face at perfect moment.

The shelter was in great shape, the PATC volunteers do a great job. J.D. tested out his Sgt. Rock stove and it worked like a charm. Very impressive!

The weather was warm (low 60s, high 50s) for our hike in and even warmer for the hike out. The night time temp was in the upper 30s. I tried out my home-made twig burner. All I have to say is that it needs some reworking on its ventilation. I think I may just give up and start using alcohol.

My North Face Vega 20 degree bag worked like a charm. I slept in a Texsport Knollwood bivy shelter tent and really like it. It has not yet met a rain test, so that's next.

I ate MRE parts and some lipton soup. MREs are heavy, but very filling. J.D. introduced me to StarKist tuna in a pouch, and I picked up some today. Tuna, and some peanut butter in a tube and I'll be king of the trail!

I know now that I've GOT to trade in my Camp Trails external for something bigger, lighter and internal. I'm thinking GoLite, but I'm gonna shop around a bit.

I posted a couple of pics in the forum.