PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Advice On 3 Night Loop In the Smokies

swamprat
08-21-2011, 13:24
Ok, I have been looking at different loops in the smokies. Taking the wife on a shake down for my thru next March. We both have been training all summer, me for the thru and her for the shake down. I have been searching online but eah, may as well ask the ones that have been there done that right? So, chime in, what three night loop would be a good one for some decent views. We are both around 50,,, yea, close enough. Pretty good shape. We would like to stay moderate. :-?

jbwood5
08-21-2011, 14:43
Ok, I have been looking at different loops in the smokies. Taking the wife on a shake down for my thru next March. We both have been training all summer, me for the thru and her for the shake down. I have been searching online but eah, may as well ask the ones that have been there done that right? So, chime in, what three night loop would be a good one for some decent views. We are both around 50,,, yea, close enough. Pretty good shape. We would like to stay moderate. :-?

It is probably best that you get a hold of one of the backcountry maps (can be viewed online). For the West side, I like the hike up to Gregory Bald, leaving from Twenty Mile Ranger Station. You go up Wolf Ridge Trail and go down Long Hungary Ridge Trail back to Twenty Mile Trail. The campsite near Gregory Bald is a reserve site so call the Back Country office to insure you can camp there.

For the NW side of the Park, leave from Big Creek and hike up to Mt Sterling (reserve campsite up there). Then you can go to Swallow Fork Trail and then connect with Big Creek trail and go back to the parking lot/campsite. All the campsites require reservations. A longer loop could be made by continuing down the Mt Sterling trail and going to the Balsam Mtn Trail and then connecting to the Gunter Fork Trail, followed by connecting to Big Creek trail.

There are so many possibilities but these are just a couple of suggestions and you may be capable of going on longer loops.

aaronthebugbuffet
08-21-2011, 15:34
Post the routes you are considering and maybe you can get more specific info.

swamprat
08-21-2011, 16:08
Looking at Big Creek Area and Fontana Dam. So far I like this one, just don't know much about it. Fontana Dam to campsite 113. 113 to Russell Field Shelter or Spence field, Spencefield to Lost Cove (Camp # 90) then back to Fontana,,, 30 miles, three nights. Looks like the last 9 or easy as it follows the creek.

MedicineWoman2012
08-21-2011, 16:09
If you are considering a three night loop...I really like leaving outta Smokemont onto Bradley Fork to Cabin Flats CS #41 or Kephart Shelter then up to Icewater Spring Shelter and north to Pecks Corner Shelter for third night then back down with BMT to Smokemont. Its a lot of water falls and and beautiful views from the Ridge. I hope this route is helpful..we have certainly enjoyed the luxury of hearing the water fall at CS and Bradley fork on first night up.

MedicineWoman2012
08-21-2011, 16:12
I just left Russel Field with very poor water supply last weekend and Spence Field was closed due to bear activity..hate to see ya climb outta Fontana with wife on first trip..its a real challenge for even a well seasoned hiker to get to the top and find very lil water if any at Russel or Mollies.

swamprat
08-21-2011, 16:40
"If you are considering a three night loop...I really like leaving outta Smokemont onto Bradley Fork to Cabin Flats CS #41 or Kephart Shelter then up to Icewater Spring Shelter and north to Pecks Corner Shelter for third night then back down with BMT to Smokemont. Its a lot of water falls and and beautiful views from the Ridge. I hope this route is helpful..we have certainly enjoyed the luxury of hearing the water fall at CS and Bradley fork on first night up."

Thanks for the info AngelsWings. Got a question though, looking at the map, looks like CS 41 is far east. Did you mean CS 49. I like the sounds of this route. If I leave Pecks Corner Shelter and head south on Hughs Ridge Trail back to smokemont may work. Maybe a better route than Fontana Dam. Wife may hate me if I take that route.

QiWiz
08-21-2011, 20:23
From Northeast end of park, leave your car at the ranger station at Big Creek. Then hike the connector trail (Chestnut Branch trail) to the AT and follow the AT south, staying at Cosby Knob and Tricorner Knob shelters. Check out the Mt Cammerer lookout if its a nice day. Leave the AT at Tricorner Knob and loop back on the Balsam Mtn and Mt Sterling Ridge trails, staying your 3rd night in the camping area by the Mt Sterling firetower (great views). Head down the Baxter Creek trail to Big Creek on day 4. Did this loop two years ago in July and there were still rhododendrons in bloom.

SGT Rock
08-21-2011, 20:26
Campsite 90 is a sty.

wornoutboots
08-21-2011, 21:34
you also might want to try out backpacker.com 's forum it's the backpacker magazine's site) go to the Southern forum & search their past threads (there are many) or ask a question there as well. I just hiked out of roaring fork road up to site #32, then to #31 then up to Leconte shelter, down Alum Cave trail then hitchhiked into Gatlinburg, went the the Smokie mountain brewery then hiked back up to my car. or there are 2 other trails that lead from Mt. Leconte back to roaring fork road

Winterstar1
08-22-2011, 01:25
Take Wolf Ridge up out of Twentymile, across Gregory Bald over to Mollies Ridge and back to Long Hungry Ridge Trail...great training in that part of the mountains!

aaronthebugbuffet
08-22-2011, 03:01
Campsite 90 is a sty.
Yes avoid 90.

MyName1sMud
08-22-2011, 12:02
I didn't read the replies so forgive me if someone has already mentioned this one.

Park north of Bryson City, NC at the "Bridge/Tunnel to No Where"

Hike in towards Forney Creek Trail. Climb Forney creek trail to the top of Clingmans Dome. Hike back to the car using Forney Ridge trail.

Or you could flip it and hike Forney Ridge to the top of Clingmans and then use Forney Creek to get back to the car.

Either way I recommend doing this one first.