PDA

View Full Version : GSMNP Shelter question

frankgonefishin
08-21-2011, 13:48
My buddies and I are hiking from Newfound gap to Fontana Dam. Typically we use our hammocks on other section hikes, but GSMNP has our hands tied on this. I am going to make reservations at the shelters, but if we get there and it is full, can we set hammocks outside shelter? GSMNP made it sound like that was not an option since we were not meeting guidlines for thru hikers. My buddies are freakin over staying in the shelters. They are even considering bivies. I think bivies would take up too much room. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

emerald
08-21-2011, 15:10
I am going to make reservations at the shelters, but if we get there and it is full, can we set hammocks outside shelter?

I get the impression you would prefer to reach these shelters and find them full. Why have you come here seeking permission where no one has the authority to grant it?

frankgonefishin
08-21-2011, 15:39
I am not looking for permission or to break any rules intentionally. I am just wondering if anybody has ran into this problem. If we get to a shelter that we have made reservations for and it is full, how do I interpret the rules? We do not meet the criteria for being thru hikers, so we can not technically set up outside the shelter. We will not have reservations at the shelter ahead of us or behind us so where does that leave us? Thanks again.

SGT Rock
08-21-2011, 15:55
According to the GSMNP rules, the only hiker that can stay outside the shelters if they are hikers that have a permit on the AT that says "Thru-Hiker".

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/parkmgmt/upload/2011-GRSMNP-Compendium-FINAL-7-01-2011.pdf

R (http://www.nps.gov/grsm/parkmgmt/upload/2011-GRSMNP-Compendium-FINAL-7-01-2011.pdf)ef: Page 10.

emerald
08-21-2011, 15:55
I am not looking for permission or to break any rules intentionally. If we get to a shelter that we have made reservations for and it is full, how do I interpret the rules?

I suggest you don't commit to more mileage than you know you can do and break camp early. Beyond that, I'd prefer to get my information from the people who enforce park regulations.

In the event things don't go as planned, common sense will go a long way in figuring out how to handle the situation. Should someone in a position of authority question you, keep in mind responding with an attitude isn't likely be of any help.

Pedaling Fool
08-21-2011, 15:57
When you planning this trip for?

The shelters shouldn't be overfilled, that's what the reservation system is for; if they give you a reservation that means there's a spot and they stop giving reservations once all spots are filled. At least that's how it's suppose to work on paper. However, I guess you do get people that couldn't make it to their appointed shelter and get stuck and of course if it's that time of year when TH are coming thru, then it's a pretty good chance it will be overfilled. By the book if it's overfilled because of thruhikers than the TH is suppose to tent out, but if you volunteer to tent out they'll probably be happy to take the shelter, most people are.

I don't know how a ranger would view that scenario. Sounds like you just gotta hope that it's overfilled and then take a chance. Same if other people get unexpectedly stuck there, but that would have to be a lot of people...

Shelters suck but tell your buddies there's no reason to freak out.

aaronthebugbuffet
08-21-2011, 15:58
Technically the thru hikers or the people without reservations in the shelter should be asked to vacate and give you the spots that you have reserved. If you do encounter that situation and decide to camp you are breaking the rules.
How that situation would be interpreted by the ranger checking your permit if that were to happen is completely up to them.

max patch
08-21-2011, 18:27
If the shelter is full (unlikely since it isnt TH season) and a ranger comes by (unlikely) and you are camping in sight of the shelter show the ranger your reservation. You won't be in trouble since someone took your place. If the ranger is going to give anyone a ticket (I've seen it happen) its going to be the person in the shelter without a reservation.

Plan on sleeping in the shelter; that is the most likely scenario.

jlb2012
08-21-2011, 18:35
use an alternate route that bypasses the shelters - in 09 I hiked the BMT instead of the AT just so I could use my hammock

Stir Fry
08-21-2011, 18:49
If you get there and there is no one else or only one or two sak if they nind if you hang in the shelter. I have done it a couple of times when I was the only one in the shelter.

scotth
10-21-2011, 21:18
I have hIked during TH season in GSMNP for years and found shelters overflowing with people sleeping on the floor and Cramed in every inch. They have also been camped all around. Right now it shouldn't be a problem. Leave early and get your spot early. The Only time I ever saw a ranger give a ticket was to 3 guys sleeping in the Mount LeConte shelter without a permit

burger
10-21-2011, 22:48
FWIW, the shelters at GSMNP are among the nicest I've seen anywhere on the trail. If you're going to have to sleep in a shelter, you could do a lot worse.

motlekj06
10-25-2011, 12:20
I used my hammock almost every night in the smokies. If they were full, i would just set it up outside. Ridge runners i met didnt care. I also saw alot of people setting up outside shelters even when the shelters weren't full. I think you'll be fine.