PDA

View Full Version : TNF Tad POLE??

jeepcj258
02-13-2005, 17:38
Any body own or used one of these. I have been looking for a good weather proof shelter that does not way a ton. It also needs to acomidate 2, I prefer a vestibule as well.

The review on this are pretty good so far so I thought I would ask the family what you guys thought?

Do you guys have any opinions? Or offer similar better items. Cheaper, lighter???

Any help would be appreciated?

Thanks
God Bless
Seth

The Old Fhart
02-13-2005, 18:13
I used a TNF Tadpole for years including a thru hike in 1998 and really liked it. It is a little heavier than some full 2-person tents but it has the advantage of being free standing which I considered a big plus. I could set it up on a any surface without staking it down (unlike the SD Flashlight) and if the spot I chose had a rock right under me, I’d pick it up and move it. I used it as a 1-person tent and I could get my pack inside and use the vestibule for boots or cooking (only with the flap pulled back). When it finally wore out I replace it with the TNF Starlight ($169 new on Ebay) which is essentially an updated version of the same tent. As long as your not into ultralight, you should be very happy with this tent. Click here (http://www.bigskyfishing.com/Gear-Technique/camping/tents-detail1.shtm) for review.

jeepcj258
02-13-2005, 19:10
Thank you, I also appreciate your comment on the SD as I am also looking at that.

God Bless
Seth

chomp
02-14-2005, 09:35
My buddy, Drive-By, carried a Tadpole the entire way on the AT in 1999. When I found one at Gallians a year ago for $112 I scooped it right up. It is a very nice tent that I use with my girlfriend all the time. Its a little cramped for 2 people, but its fairly light. Not tarp-tent light, but not bad either.

max patch
02-14-2005, 10:33
I used to own the tent (forgot the name) that was the next size larger than the Tadpole. Tadpole was just a tad short for us. As others have said, nice design and not too terrribly heavy for a freestanding tent.

The Solemates
02-14-2005, 10:58
While the Mtn Hardwear Waypoint II does not have a vestibule, it is much larger than the Tadpole, and we have no problem fitting both of us, our dog, and all our gear inside. And it weighs in at almost 2 lbs lighter than the Tadpole. Just something to consider....