PDA

View Full Version : Water Conditions North of the James River

Del Q
08-21-2011, 20:51
Hi all. Some friends are heading out in a week, what is the water situation North of the James River?

When I was in SW Virgnia last year, the water situation was tough

Any help will be appreciated

Del Q
08-22-2011, 14:40
Anyone out there with feedback?

Hikerhead
08-22-2011, 14:55
Just because no one has spoke up let me say it's been dry here in the roanoke area, a little south of the James River. Only the major streams/rivers are likely to be flowing but keep in mind that we have a large weather system (Hurricane) getting ready to head up the coast this week that looks likely to be a major rain maker.

Del Q
08-22-2011, 18:28
Hope so for them..............SW VA has its challenges............thanks, stay well hikerhead.

I plan on being back to complete VA in Decemember.

moldy
08-23-2011, 10:22
Del-Q, You should be OK on water right up to Brown's creek. There will be no water on ridges at all. Take both the map that shows water and the guide that lists water. Quiz every hiker you meet and get specifics. Carry a small plastic tube so that you can draw or suck up water from tiny holes in the creek bed. Carry extra water. Good luck and watch out for your top-knot.

Del Q
08-23-2011, 16:48
Thanks, this is for friend who had a pretty rough go at it last year, they are 4 close friends hiking to raise money for charities stemming from the loss of one of their daughters at the age of two. They have quietly raised a lot of money!

With heat and low/no water medical conditions are a serious threat, I was in this same spot 2 years ago and incurred the most serious outdoor issue ever, mild to moderate heat stroke, was alone, early April, 96 degrees, low-low on water and in some "distress". It was the 1st really HOT day of the year, all of the early thru hikers were really hurting as well.

They go out with too much gear (like many) and not in ideal hiking condition. Was just trying to check for them to help if I / we can assist

Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!1