PDA

View Full Version : Keeping your accessories charged +

The Scribe
02-13-2005, 18:17
In reading my new Macworld magaine today, one of the hits they mention is a solar battery charger from Solio, $100-120. www.solio.com (http://www.solio.com). It won MacWorld "Best of Show".

According to the web it comes in at 165 grams, or a little under six ounces if my calculations are correct.

You can plug it in if AC is available.

Also, the same issue touts the new iPod "Shuffle". 240 songs for $99. Weighs less than an ounce and it is about the size of a pack of gum. I had one in my hands recently for a minute. Quite amazing.

PCM

NICKTHEGREEK
02-13-2005, 19:27
Thanks for the link on the solio, what a neat device. 6 oz is trivial if you need to recharge your GPS or phone. Running the solar cells to a storage battery then to your device is as efficient as it gets, but it will give you about as high a possibility of recharging as you can get. I'm sure all the technophobics will form a coalition with the gram-gestapo and ultra-frugals to try to burn this at the stake. All the more reson to buy one!

The Scribe
02-13-2005, 20:30
Actually, the 240 song model is the 1 GB version, which costs $149. The $99 model is 512mb, and costs the $99.
A very nice toy from apple, if bit bulky. I think other offerings are moer compact.
Sorry Boston, I stand corrected. While I don't know how how the $99 for 512 stands up to other offers, I have to say what I held in my hand couldn't have been less bulky or more compact. One ounce and the size of a pack of gum?

PCM

neo
02-13-2005, 22:59
only thing i need to keep charged is my cell phone,i carry my charger and now an extra battery,just charge any time i am in a town:sun neo

fosteja
02-20-2005, 17:01
As far as charging a cell phone without power try taking a look at this thing called a Sidewinder Cell Phone Charger. It only weighs 2.5 oz. and can provide up to 6 minutes of talk time with only a couple of minutes of winding. Anyway, here's the link if you want to check it out.

http://store.yahoo.com/campingsurvival/wicephchnew.html

Jeff

The Solemates
02-21-2005, 10:08
The only thing we charge up is our stomachs, and at every opportunity.

The Weasel
02-21-2005, 12:51
If you gotta have gadgets on the AT, solar charging ain't a great method. Walking under the leaf canopy all day - and most shelters are, too - isn't gonna get a lot of sunshine.

The Weasel

Footslogger
02-21-2005, 13:19
Only thing I carried on my thru that needed charging were the AA batteries for my camera. I carried a spare set and when in a town or at a hostel I always charged both sets. I never had a problem. I think you hit towns/hostels often enough to keep things charged, depending of course on how much you use them.

As far as cell phones are concerned, I would think if you started with a fully charged battery and kept the phone off ...only turning it on when you absolutely needed to make a call you'd be OK between resupply intervals, towns or hostels.

'Slogger
AT 2003

stupe
02-22-2005, 10:04
Charge to Go is a cute gadget that uses a AA battery to give you two hours talk time on your cell phone in an emergency or otherwise. Here's a link.....www.charge2go.com (http://www.charge2go.com)
Comes in colors!!

SavageLlama
02-22-2005, 22:03
I only needed to recharge the lithium battery in my digital camera every few days, so I was able to do it at stops in town (restaurants, bars, etc.). Just don't get drunk and forget it. Nothing worse than getting to the top of the next mountain, reach into the pack to pull out the diggie and... DOH!

K-Bear
02-23-2005, 11:35
I ran into a dude who I called "crank" last year. I think the name stuck too. Every shelter or so he'd bust out this klunky ass crank powered cell phone charger. It was loud as all hell. It made me laugh every time!