PDA

View Full Version : Possible heavy rain from Hurricane Irene

Mrs Baggins
08-22-2011, 09:13
Here's the current expected path of Irene and the areas of the heavy rainfall/possible tornadoes. Pretty much straight up the AT. :eek:

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/54059/east-coast-flood-danger-after.asp

tiptoe
08-22-2011, 12:12
oh, goodie.

Spirit Walker
08-22-2011, 12:43
Should hit just about the time they finish taking our roof off to replace the damage from the last big storm.

WingedMonkey
08-22-2011, 12:51
You Yankees can have the wind, we just want the rain.

;)

Blissful
08-23-2011, 12:23
We need the rain here - streams and springs are dry. We haven't had a tropical system in a long time.

DLANOIE
08-23-2011, 12:47
Im planning on hiking Katahdin this Sunday. Damn Irene...

Tuckahoe
08-23-2011, 13:13
Damn... planning a trip from Grayson to Damascus. Not so worried about the weather out there, but what sucks is that Williamsburg is pretty much in the path if hits NC or otherwise comes up the coast.

4eyedbuzzard
08-23-2011, 15:10
You will probably be okay for a Sunday up and down. Projected path has its center off Virginia coast and northern extent of rain through northern NJ on Sun AM. I'd plan on going and check the forecast again on Sat.

mudhead
08-23-2011, 15:52
You Yankees can have the wind, we just want the rain.

;)

You Q-Tips can have the wind. We need the rain up here.:)

Might be OK. Watch it close. Few years back tail end took out the road to Roaring Brook for 2-3+ days. No body got out. It will jump from the outer banks of NC to us in a day or so. Always amazes me the speed they move once they decide to whack Nova Scotia.

Snowleopard
08-23-2011, 17:43
It will jump from the outer banks of NC to us in a day or so. Always amazes me the speed they move once they decide to whack Nova Scotia.
Some hurricanes move very fast from about NC to New England. The New England 1938 hurricane moved at 60-70 mph.
Pay close attention to the weather forecasts. If it looks bad, get off the trail. Southern New England and the Atlantic states (and further south) get bad storms more often than northern New England. The worst storms are unimaginably bad, but happen rarely -- 1938 and 1955 are the last really bad New England hurricanes. The most likely scenario up here is lots of rain and small stream flooding.

Magazine
08-24-2011, 10:42
Thanks for the link! I'm adding myself to the thread so I may see future posts as I'm planning to climb Mt Katadin on Monday and spent all week until labor day out there...bah

Jeff
08-24-2011, 11:58
Trail maintaining clubs are going to need plenty of volunteers to clean up after this storm.

Please help where you can !!!