PDA

View Full Version : Decent Set of Rain Gear for Wife and Me

dgm
08-22-2011, 12:15
We are doing Wallace Gap to Fontana Sept 2 thru 10. We need to get decent rain gear that won't break the bank. Any suggestions?

HiKen2011
08-22-2011, 12:23
Frogg toggs are pretty cheap

Ezra
08-22-2011, 12:31
Red head is also fairly inexpensive. I don't know of many who wear rainpants.

max patch
08-22-2011, 12:45
1. Google (or use froogle) "marmot precip" and many times you will come across discontinued colors for 1/3 to 1/2 off.

2. Even cheaper, check out Campmors house brand rain gear. Coated, no gore tex or anything like that, but serviceable and cheap.

3. Avoid frog toggs.

JeF4y
08-22-2011, 13:20
I bought columbia gear at Dicks for just under $100 per person ($49 jacket, $39 pants) 2 months ago for a trip to the Rockies. We've used it several times and it has worked great.

Seemed reasonably priced to me.

ekeverette
08-22-2011, 13:26
frogg toggs, got mine for 21 bucks. i think mine will do fine. hav'nt tried um out yet.

Snowleopard
08-22-2011, 14:52
Cabela's sometimes has very good sales on Goretex parkas and other waterproof breathable parkas.
Frogg Togg/dri ducks are very cheap, waterproof and very breathable but somewhat fragile. They're not high fashion. http://www.froggtoggsraingear.com/DriDucks.shtm If you are on good trails, are careful with them and don't mind the occasional duct tape repair, they'll last a good while. Some people have trouble with the pants splitting. I would never use them bushwhacking or for New England winter above treeline. Don't get the Dri Ducks emergency poncho because it is very fragile compared to the regular dri ducks.

Cloudynesz
10-12-2011, 03:40
I like my torrentshell pullover, really brief design, superb quality, $99 before any discount, love it!

Storm
10-12-2011, 10:06
I have been playing with different raingear for quite awhile. Most either isn't waterproof or is so airtight you sweat enough to get soaked anyway. Finally shelled out the $110 for a Packa. Got a pack cover and raincoat all in one. Fits well, is well ventilated with two large pit zips, front zipper is double so you can vent it from the top or bottom. So far haven't been able to find anything I don't like.

Rain Man
10-12-2011, 15:54
We are doing Wallace Gap to Fontana Sept 2 thru 10. We need to get decent rain gear that won't break the bank. Any suggestions?

So... how was the hike?

Rain:sunMan

coreybv
08-01-2012, 11:27
avoid frogg toggs. They don't breath, are very bulky, and most importantly, the first time i used mine they were completely soaked through inside of 3 minutes. On the plus side, they do a great job of blocking wind. If they were as good as their reputation, i could live with the bulk, but after having worn them in the rain I'm shopping for new rain gear.

dgm
08-01-2012, 23:21
grea time last year but had Hurricane Rita we hiked through. Got a NF dry vent coat on sale from locat sg store. Will use umbrella for thi years Sept. GSMNP hike though.

Lyle
08-02-2012, 06:46
Over the years, I've come full circle - sort of.

Started with coated nylon - waterproof, heavy, bulky, sauna, cheap.

Coated Poncho - waterproof, heavy, not as bulky, less of a sauna, pain in the wind, cheap.

Uncoated nylon - water resistant, light, compact, breathable, cheap

Goretex - waterproof for a short time, heavy, bulky, breathable until it gets wet or dirty, EXPENSIVE.

Coated Nylon - see above, but much lighter now.

Frogg Toggs - waterproof, light, bulky, more breathable than anything else I've tried, not as durable as other choices. Good overall choice.

Silnylon jacket and Rain wrap - mostly waterproof for several hours, very light, very compact, jacket a sauna but wrap highly vented, adequately durable with some care, moderately priced.

I've come to the conclusion that nothing is perfect. I've been using the last in the list above for about 5 years now, and it offers the best compromise in my mind. Mostly rain gear is to keep you dry for a short rain, keep you warm for an all-day rain with wind. The Silnylon does that well, and it's by far the lightest, most compact option.

10-K
08-02-2012, 07:01
When it rains you're going to get wet.

Frog Togs remind me of Leki trekking poles. People swear by them but ever pair I've bought has broken so I don't use either regardless of their reputation.

I finally settled on Golite rain gear (www.golite.com).

It's very light, well made, and does as good a job blocking rain as anything and it works great for a "real" wind jacket/pants.

Might as well spend the bucks and do it right the first time.

ocourse
08-02-2012, 18:43
Frogg Toggs are fine for me. I have Red Ledge and Goretex too, but Toggs do the job. They are very breathable and lightweight, but somewhat bulky as previously stated.

yellowsirocco
08-02-2012, 19:40
Packa and a rain wrap is the only combination that actually works for me. Packa isn't cheap, but it is cheaper than name brands like goretex and north face whose jackets don't work nearly as well.

Papa D
08-02-2012, 20:24
"The cheap man spends the most."
I'm told LL Bean has some acceptable rain gear but I always think long-term and just can't bring myself to throw $90 at something that isn't the best because I know I would ditch it and buy the better item later - now I've spent "the most"

This is my rain jacket - I do not get wet in the rain (from rain) - if I'm hiking hard in a summer rainstorm though, condensation does build up and you feel damp - there is no way of avoiding this - even with pit-zips. If, however you are just outside your tent or walking around in the rain, you WILL stay dry in this jacket: www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Beta-SL-Jacket

If you are dead set on inexpensive, you might try LL Bean but I'd try to find something by Arcteryx or Marmot on e-bay.

Pioneer Spirit
08-02-2012, 21:32
Avoid Dry-ducks. I forgot they were glorified paper and ripped the hood half off pulling it over my head first day out. They are good for storing in a car for emergencies.

Captain Skivvies
08-03-2012, 00:06
REI has a good rain jacket with under arm zippers that vent well. I think I got mine on sale for 89.00 plus used a 25% off coupon. Much more compact than frog togs also great in the wind.

RedBeerd
08-03-2012, 10:00
REI has a good rain jacket with under arm zippers that vent well. I think I got mine on sale for 89.00 plus used a 25% off coupon. Much more compact than frog togs also great in the wind.

Happy with mine as well.

Cadenza
08-05-2012, 01:09
I finally settled on Golite rain gear (www.golite.com (http://www.golite.com)).

It's very light, well made, and does as good a job blocking rain as anything and it works great for a "real" wind jacket/pants.

Might as well spend the bucks and do it right the first time.

Concur. My Golite Gore-Tex set fits in a stuff sack the size of a softball.
It's as light as possible and works as intended. Worth every penny.

Packa and a rain wrap is the only combination that actually works for me. Packa isn't cheap, but it is cheaper than name brands like goretex and north face whose jackets don't work nearly as well.

I just recently bought a cuben packa,....and wouldn't you know,.... it didn't rain a drop on my last trip. :)

gunner76
08-11-2012, 19:11
Avoid Dry-ducks. I forgot they were glorified paper and ripped the hood half off pulling it over my head first day out. They are good for storing in a car for emergencies.

FroggToggs DriDucks has two ponchos...an Emergency Poncho which is very thin to the point of being translucent (I would only take it into the woods as a emergency poncho) and the DriDucks UltraLite Poncho which is lined, has snaps and a hood with drawstng. Which one were you referring to ?

kayak karl
08-11-2012, 19:46
So... how was the hike?

Rain:sunMan

so how WAS the hike :) been a year!

Bucho
08-12-2012, 21:18

I did a thru hike with dri ducks last year, they outlasted my girlfriends gortex. One does need to be careful with them and bring a little duct tape for repairs but I'd take them on another thru hike.

MuddyWaters
08-12-2012, 23:20

Actually, they are polyethyelene.
I have had no problem with driducks.
Yes, fragile. Be careful, dont abuse.
I use my jacket as windshell frequently

Rain gear is not supposed to keep you dry. It is supposed to keep you warm. You will get wet with sweat hiking in raingear, even if it is impervious to rain.

Del Q
08-13-2012, 21:40
Check out Sierra Trading Post.............bought Marmot Precip a few years ago, my son still uses my jacket, wife still loves hers.............worth the $$$

Razor
08-14-2012, 17:22
It is interesting that some people think they can stay dry in the rain on a backpacking trip. You choose your pain. Wet from rain or wet from perspiration. Cheep = quicker money= a little longer. Also reading the comments ,some people confuse frog togs and dry ducks . They are made by the same company but have different materials and different properties. Both are good but need to use care with the dry ducks. Start adding $ quickly from there. Personally I use dry ducks pants because I rarely put them on except for laundry time and the weight penalty is very low( 4 OZS) A marmot top is my pain.

Duramax22
08-14-2012, 18:46
+1 for columbia @ dicks

Bucho
08-15-2012, 22:04
Here's another option: http://www.golite.com/accessories/umbrellas