PDA

View Full Version : grafton loop trail eastern half section hike

hikerboy57
08-22-2011, 13:41
I just got back from NH/me, spent 3 days on the grafton loop trail, then headed to the presidentials for a hike up kings ravine to adams, stayed at Madison hut, came down on the howker ridge trail.
as crowded as the whites are in august, if you're ever looking for a challenging, remote hike, do the grafton loop. although parts were overgrown and somewhat difficult to follow at times, after the first night at baldpate leanto, where I met some NOBOS, ididnt see anyone at all till the third day, as I was coming off the trail.the 2 tentsites I stayed at I was all alone. Its not quite as difficult as the Mahoosucs, but its close.
I havent been on madison in a few years, and after being so alone for 3 days, I just coudnt believe how crowded the AT was thru the whites.

DLANOIE
08-22-2011, 13:48
That loop hike is a blast and most of the time you will be alone. And as far as hiking in the Whites during peak season...it is what it is.

Mnt Madison and Adams are brutal climbs! Glad you had fun.

Take any pics? See any wildlife in Grafton Notch State Park?

Tom Murphy
08-22-2011, 13:51
I encourage everyone to do the western half of the loop as well.

Sunday River Whitecap is a great summit and it was nice to see all the trail work the AMC did to try to protect the trail through this previously isolated ridgeline.

hikerboy57
08-22-2011, 14:57
I encourage everyone to do the western half of the loop as well.

Sunday River Whitecap is a great summit and it was nice to see all the trail work the AMC did to try to protect the trail through this previously isolated ridgeline. I did take pictures,I'll get them up as soon as i can. had a nice encounter with a broadwing hawk, but outside of that nothing larger than a red squirrle. Idid however see a moose up at madison hut.I will go back to finsh the loop at some point.You couldnt beat the feeling of isolation!