PDA

View Full Version : Veteran's day weekend, 3-4 day hike

scope
08-22-2011, 14:38
Planning a 3-4 day hike on Veteran's Day weekend on the AT in NC. While I love hiking solo, my wife insists that I find someone that can commit to going with me. The flexible plan is to leave Thursday a.m. 11/9 from Atlanta and return Sunday 11/12. If vacation days get tight between now and then, might have to leave Friday which is already a holiday for me. Last day, Sunday, would not be a full day as I have to get back home by early to mid afternoon.

Probably try to do up to 10m the first day (taking out travel time), 11-13 the next two days, and then no more than about 6m on Sunday. So, 30-40m depending on end points. I'm open to suggestions for the route and travel. I'm a hammock guy, so I don't have to stop at shelters, but can, and in fact would be fine with a Smokies trip assuming we can get reservations.

I know its kinda early, but figured it couldn't hurt to get the wheels in motion.

mefishn
09-13-2011, 09:34
Are you set to stay in NC? I was thinking of doing all of the Maryland AT (41 miles) during that time frame. Would you be interested to doing that, shuttling cars etc.. ?
I was thinking of Southbound direction.

scope
09-13-2011, 10:09
Would love to, but that's a little too much driving time there and back for that short of a time frame. I don't think I want to go further north than Hot Springs for this trip. Good luck on yours.

mefishn
09-13-2011, 12:54
No worries. When I get to NC, and TN I'll give you a shout. Late next year???

scope
09-13-2011, 14:55
yes, please do

scope
10-14-2011, 14:22
Looks like Hoop and I will be going from around Winding Stair Gap into NOC. Moses might join, maybe another. This will be starting Thurs 11/10 (not sure when that day) and ending Sun 11/13. Anybody else interested?

Sierra Echo
10-14-2011, 23:47
Thats 28 miles. So about 10 miles a day? If that ?

scope
10-16-2011, 19:53
Well, as of right now, the plan is that Fri & Sat are the only real hiking days, putting in late Thurs, getting out early Sun. So, yes, coming off the couch and doing 10-11m days. That's all I want to push with my supposedly torn meniscus. Besides, there are some good places to sit for a while in that section, especially being the "pack it in, pack it out" kindof guy I am.

I think we're working on an earlier start for Thursday, stay tuned. Interested?

Sierra Echo
10-16-2011, 21:08
I'm very interested, but everyone including my physical therapist is saying no way.
I best wait until spring when my knee is totally healed up. Its never too early to start planning a spring backpacking trip!

scope
11-07-2011, 10:20
Last bump... Hoop and I will have lunch at NOC on Thurs 11/10 and then get on the trail at Rock Gap or Winding Stair, depending on how we feel. Should be a nice easy 3-overnite hike back to NOC by Sunday morning. Anybody want to join?