PDA

View Full Version : Camping rule for VT and Mass.

snakes
02-13-2005, 19:02
Me and buddy were thinking of hiking from bennington, VT to edremont, Mass. I was woundering if someone could tell me if there are any camping restrictions there. Like here in NY were you can only camping with 100 feet of lean-to.

Thanks,
snakes

Peaks
02-13-2005, 21:35
There are no significant restrictions that I am aware of. Check the AT Guide to Mass to be sure.

Jack Tarlin
02-13-2005, 22:11
There are a handful of places in Massachusetts on or near the A.T. where camping is restricted or forbidden, but it's very few. Off the top of my head, some of these places are the summit of Mt. Greylock, the shoreline of Upper Goose Pond, and right by Guilder Pond. But Peaks is right: this is pretty much an under-restricted area compared to some other stretches.

DebW
02-14-2005, 11:38
Me and buddy were thinking of hiking from bennington, VT to edremont, Mass. I was woundering if someone could tell me if there are any camping restrictions there. Like here in NY were you can only camping with 100 feet of lean-to.

Thanks,
snakes

Camping throughout Mass. is restricted to designated shelters and campsites. This is posted at all the kiosks and enforced by seasonal ridgerunners. Much of the Mass. AT is on state forest lands, hence the restriction. We do have alot of resource degradation due to bootleg camping in places like Goose Pond, Finerty Pond, Jug End.

Peaks
02-14-2005, 21:01
Camping throughout Mass. is restricted to designated shelters and campsites. This is posted at all the kiosks and enforced by seasonal ridgerunners. Much of the Mass. AT is on state forest lands, hence the restriction. We do have alot of resource degradation due to bootleg camping in places like Goose Pond, Finerty Pond, Jug End.

I just checked my AT guidebook. Looks like Jack and I are corrected. Thanks Deb.

Under general information, the guidelines for Massachusetts include: Camp only at designated campsites.