PDA

View Full Version : what fishing pole should I get?

Nutbrown
08-22-2011, 20:23
I want to get a collapsible fishing pole for obvious reasons. Anyone have any suggestions? I was looking at those pen type ones, but the reviews stink. Do you carry a reel, or just throw the line/bait out and wind in? Weight is always an issue, but I don't think a rod and reel will break my back. Just want something compact and reliable.

Ironbelly
08-22-2011, 21:21
I use and highly recommend the Emmrod, I have the packer model and it is simply awesome. And its practically indestrubtible.

Ironbelly
08-22-2011, 21:21
Forgot to say its www.emmrod.com (http://www.emmrod.com)

4Bears
08-22-2011, 21:30
Another possiblity is to get an ice fishing pole with one of the micro reels on it, they are short and very light and darn tough. Since I see you are NC you might have trouble finding it locally but should be able to get them from Bass Pro or Cabella's, you can get a variety of lengths to suit your needs.

LDog
08-22-2011, 21:32
Check out http://www.tenkarausa.com/ Fly fishing without the reel. Poles collapse within themselves, a very cool lightweight solution. Backpackinglight used to market a pole made by these guys, till they went out of the equipment sales bidness.

Nutbrown
08-22-2011, 21:45
fabulous! I'll look into all of them. Thanks

moldy
08-23-2011, 10:09
Spiderman fishing combo. It comes with 6lb test on a push-button reel and has a working drag. The pole is just long enough to work well in trout streams and lakes. Of course if you are a girl you will want to get the neat pink Princess Tinkerbell combo but I guess for hiker girl's a superman, bat woman or spiderman will work. They sell these kiddy fishing outfit's in any toy store or Wal-mart and they work quite will on the trail and are light weight and cheap and tough. Now, they do look a little silly so If you are wanting to look like a LL Bean poster from the 1930's then the less practical for hikers equipment might be what you want. I also use mine for ice fishing.

BigRing
08-23-2011, 12:12
Although I have used the ice fishing setup for spincasting, I usually carry a 4 piece flyrod in a carry case strapped to my pack...they have both at BassPro too.

Pastaboy
08-23-2011, 14:29
Is there alot of fishing opportunities in georiga on the AT?

max patch
08-23-2011, 15:14
The only place to fish on the AT in GA would be Noontootla Creek at 3 Forks. Trout stream, native only (not stocked), artificial only, minimum keep size is 14 inches I think. Beautiful place to fish and camp. Based on my experience, you won't catch anything. You'll need a license and trout stamp.

Just a bit N of there you could take a (I'm guessing) 8 mile detour on the BMT and fish the Toccoa River. Nice place to camp, but I've never fished there and don't have clue what you would fish for.

Slo-go'en
08-23-2011, 17:36
In general, there are few fishing opportunities on the AT and they are far apart. Most of the time the trail is up on or near the ridge line. Between that and the fact you'd need a fishing license for every state you crossed, carrying a fishing pole is of little utility.

birchy
08-24-2011, 05:11
DIAWA, used to make what was called the MINI CAST, which was light and came in a small case. Check their web site.

JaxHiker
08-24-2011, 10:36
Check out http://www.tenkarausa.com/ Fly fishing without the reel. Poles collapse within themselves, a very cool lightweight solution. Backpackinglight used to market a pole made by these guys, till they went out of the equipment sales bidness.
I have a 9'6" rod coming from Tenkara Fishing (http://www.tenkara-fishing.com/). I got word that it's just arrived from Japan and should be shipping soon. It's supposed to weigh 2.5 oz. Can't really beat that. I figure the entire kit with line, flies, tools will be under 6 oz.

max patch
08-24-2011, 11:46
DIAWA, used to make what was called the MINI CAST, which was light and came in a small case. Check their web site.

I had one of those (the spinning reel); high quality. Don't know if they are still around.