PDA

View Full Version : Why do people not like hammocks?

Ezra
08-23-2011, 09:37
Has anyone known someone to try using a hammock but not like it and stick with tent camping? I hear lots of rave reviews of people loving hammocks and I was just curious as to reasons why people may not like them.

4eyedbuzzard
08-23-2011, 09:46
Some don't like the feeling / knowing that they are suspended and could fall. Some find them claustrophobic. Hammocks aren't the lightest sleep system / shelter (a foam pad under a tarp or in a shelter is). Learning to rig a hammock takes some time and effort (granted, not a lot, but . . .). They can't be used where there aren't suitable trees (above / near timberline where the trees are too small or simply aren't). And there's always the bear pinata scenario :eek::rolleyes::D

Lone Wolf
08-23-2011, 09:51
Has anyone known someone to try using a hammock but not like it and stick with tent camping? I hear lots of rave reviews of people loving hammocks and I was just curious as to reasons why people may not like them.i don't like then cuz you can't lay on your stomach or cook in them or snuggle with my lady plus they're cold to sleep in

Tom Murphy
08-23-2011, 10:07
I love mine but they are definately not for everyone. Some people just don't find them comfortable.

Pros:
comfortable [of course this is subjective but if you like sleeping in hammocks then you LOVE hammocks over ground sleeping]
off the ground
typically a lot easier to find set of trees to hang from in a forest than it is to find a flat level undrainage spot

Cons:
Not the most UL shelter/sleep system
solo at bed time
restricted back or side sleeping

I can cook while sitting in my hammock, just reach over the side.

ChinMusic
08-23-2011, 10:10
Tried hammocks and gave up. Too heavy and too much time futzing around to get things just right. I MUCH prefer tenting and have no problem with comfort on the ground. Temperature control for comfort is easier too. In a hammock I was nearly always too hot or too cold, and sometimes BOTH at the same time. Also with a tent I can have stuff laying around next to me with easy access.

Unlike hammockers, you won't find ground dwellers barking in nearly every thread trying to convince everyone to go their way. It almost seems like a religion to many of them.

jersey joe
08-23-2011, 10:10
I think most people tent over hammock because using a tent is the standard and what most people have done their whole life. Lone Wolf provides good reasons to opt for a tent. Another that I've seen frequently is that it is easier to stay warm in a tent with insulation under you.

Hooch
08-23-2011, 10:15
Hammocks, in general, have a learning curve and some just can't seem to get past. It's steeper for some than it is for others, definitely. Some folks don't like the "banana" sleeping position they oftentimes find themselves in (that means you're doing something wrong). Others are stomach sleepers and haven't yet discovered the Jacks r Better Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock (http://www.jacksrbetter.com/BMBH.htm)(Lone Wolf). Still others don't like the whole "Bear Pinata" theory and would rather be a bear fortune cookie in a tent. Lots of folks don't like them because of the "fiddle factor" associated with hammocks. There are plenty of reasons that folks don't like hammocks, but if you talk to a dedicated hammocker, they'll give you 5 reasons they love their hammock for every one you dislike them. As Cannibal once said, "If you don't love your hammock, you don't know how to love".

Double Wide
08-23-2011, 10:17
I don't mind hammocks per se, they're just not for me--I'm a side sleeper, and one attempt at using a hammock was enough for me. But hammocks to me, are a lot like Apple computers--they're fine for what they are--and what they do, they do extremely well. But it's the overzealous fans of Apple computers that really turn me against using them...

Tom Murphy
08-23-2011, 10:24
Tried hammocks and gave up. Too heavy and too much time futzing around to get things just right. I MUCH prefer tenting and have no problem with comfort on the ground. Temperature control for comfort is easier too. In a hammock I was nearly always too hot or too cold, and sometimes BOTH at the same time. Also with a tent I can have stuff laying around next to me with easy access.

Unlike hammockers, you won't find ground dwellers barking in nearly every thread trying to convince everyone to go their way. It almost seems like a religion to many of them.

I think if you compare my post with yours, you will see that YOU are the one trying to convince everyone to go your way. Just sayin'

Lone Wolf
08-23-2011, 10:24
i been usin' tents for 25 years. it ain't broke so i ain't fixin' it. hammocks are a step down

ChinMusic
08-23-2011, 10:31
I think if you compare my post with yours, you will see that YOU are the one trying to convince everyone to go your way. Just sayin'

What is the title of this thread?

Oh yeah it is : "Why do people not like hammocks? (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?75491-Why-do-people-not-like-hammocks)"

I gave my opinion based on my experiences. THAT is what the OP was looking for.

If you can find ONE hammock thread where I went in telling others to go to the ground, you would have a point.

I can find dozens upon dozens of threads there hammockers jump in to espouse the superiority of hanging. Look on YouTube as well. It seems nearly every tent video out there has hammockers preaching the superiority of their system. Why is that?

Slo-go'en
08-23-2011, 10:50
The one advantage hammocks have is being able to hang in places where tents aren't practical. So long as there are suitable trees, it doesn't matter whats is under you or the slope of the land. That opens up a lot of potentual camping spots, especially here in the White Mts.

I once legally camped off the Jewell trail going up Mt Washington because I had a hammock with me. A FS ranger even pointed me to a good place to hang for the night.

That said, I still perfer a tent. Lighter, warmer without a lot of extra stuff, and I sleep better laid out flat then bent into a pretzel.

DLANOIE
08-23-2011, 10:55
I used a hammock for nearly five years. Used it in winter mostly with a good setup. I would be cozy and comfy for a while, but in the middle of the night I just tossed and turned. I couldnt STAY comfortable throughout the entire night. Im a quitter when it comes to hammocks, but I can honestly say I gave it all I could.

I dont mind using the shelters and I also carry a tarp/pad combo. Works for me. YMMV

Rain Man
08-23-2011, 11:41
My wife and I have two hammocks and three tents. We take one or the other based on the outing. To us, there's no "one size fits all." Having said that, over the years I have pretty much switched to hammock hanging when I go without her. NOT exclusively, but pretty much. It surprises me to see some say that hammock hanging weighs more, as that's certainly not my experience. Same when some say it's more complicated. I've spent much time on my knees when tent camping, clearing a second-rate spot of sticks and stones, and that's after not being able to find a flat spot. And maybe it's just me, but I feel I can slap up my hammock almost any time I want to take a break, and have a comfortable place to sit, lie, or nap. Most of my hiking is in warm weather, and I find hammocks cooler than tents, too.

As ChinMusic said, you cannot easily lay a book, or contact lens drops, or this or that, next to you in a hammock and expect it to stay there, like in a tent on a flat spot. Though you can put "pockets" in a hammock and solve that problem, just as most tents do. Also, it's harder to change clothes or take a spit bath in a hammock, unless perhaps you use it as a chair.

So, I/we have neither "stuck with" tent camping, nor abandoned it completely. For that matter and for what it's worth, we sometimes just put up a tarp or cowboy camp.

I agree with Double Wide, it's hard to put up with some of the zealots. Using a hammock, or not, is not a religious sacrament.

P.S. I've slept comfortably in my hammock in 5-degree weather. And for anyone who "sleeps like a banana," that's their fault, not the fault of a good hammock, properly hung, which takes no more time that finding a flat spot, clearing it of poison ivy and sharp, pointy things, and erecting and staking a tent.

Rain:sunMan

RevLee
08-23-2011, 12:56
Personally, I just don't find hammocks to be that comfortable. It weighs more than my tent and doesn't keep me as warm. But there are times when the functionality it provides makes it worthwhile. On a trip this year with the scouts, one of our campsites was very space constrained. So to save space for the scouts tents, I took my hammock and actually setup over the (fortunately unused) fire ring.

Nutbrown
08-23-2011, 14:40
The biggest down side is the sleeping alone.

daddytwosticks
08-23-2011, 16:08
Got to agree with many of the posts. Tried hammocking, but couldn't get over the fussyness of the set-up and the crazy mental image of some creature taking a bite out of my rear end (really...). It was VERY comfortable for ME, but I like ground sleeping better. Just do what make you happy and comfortable. :)

Lostone
08-23-2011, 16:14
Well when I camp with the wife we tent. When I am out with the boy scouts I hammock. The hammock is more comfortable for me when I am alone.....but snuggling with the wife is much better than hammocking any day of the week.

garlic08
08-23-2011, 16:23
I tried a hammock on one trip below treeline in Colorado, and never again. It was way too cold. I ended up sleeping on the ground under the hammock. Plus I couldn't pitch the shelter above treeline so it changed the way I like to hike in the mountains.

Hooch
08-23-2011, 16:37
. . . .I still perfer a tent. . . .I sleep better flat than bent into a pretzel.

. . . .doesn't keep me as warm. . . .

I tried a hammock. . . .never again. It was way too cold. . . . All goes back to that whole learning curve thing. But, HYOH as far as I'm concerned. Hammocks, as I've said before, aren't a one-size-fits-all solution and definitely aren't for everyone. I don't try to force "hammock superiority" on anyone, but if you ask me about them, I'll tell ya what I know.

Ezra
08-23-2011, 16:48
Hmmmmm... I see. Thanks guys. I have never had the chance to experiment with a hammock and it does not sound like I am missing much. I would give it a try if I had the chance but I like the way Lone Wolf put it, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I love my tents and was just curious as to what the differences with a hammock may be.

rhjanes
08-23-2011, 17:05
suggest you (or anyone else) try it and see if you like it. I just got a hammock a few weeks ago. Set up is now 2 minutes. VERY comfortable. Join hammock forums "dot" net and then hook up with someone near you who will let you see the set up and try it out. If you don't like it, kewl. If you do, then start looking more into it. Several hammock hangers close to me, offered up tarps and such for me to borrow and try out.

ki0eh
08-23-2011, 17:18
I've reverted from hammocking to tenting because I have trouble tying off (I am very clumsy). I use a canister rather than bear bag for same reason. I guess there are ways to secure hammocks to trees without tying but I can't penetrate the information density over at hammockforums and I don't know anyone here to model on.

gumball
08-23-2011, 17:22
We tried hammocks for a couple of years but reverted back to tenting. I felt very restricted in my hammock. I sleep cold. And I am just more comfortable sleeping on the ground when I am hiking. I can change clothes in my tent, stand up/sit up--they are more versatile for me.

Tipi Walter
08-23-2011, 18:10

This is about the best quote I've seen on hammock opinion. "You won't find ground dwellers barking in" about says it all.

i been usin' tents for 25 years. it ain't broke so i ain't fixin' it. hammocks are a step down

Another apt summary. Keep 'em coming.

The one advantage hammocks have is being able to hang in places where tents aren't practical. So long as there are suitable trees, it doesn't matter whats is under you or the slope of the land. That opens up a lot of potentual camping spots, especially here in the White Mts.

I once legally camped off the Jewell trail going up Mt Washington because I had a hammock with me. A FS ranger even pointed me to a good place to hang for the night.

That said, I still prefer a tent. Lighter, warmer without a lot of extra stuff, and I sleep better laid out flat then bent into a pretzel.

Everybody knows the hammock first evolved in the jungles of Central America, and everybody knows why: To get off the ground and away from the ants and biting bugs and jungle snakes. The Seminole chickee is with this same thought in mind. Then sailors starting using hammocks aboard ships in tight quarters, etc. None of this explains why hammocks are so popular nowadays what with the drawbacks already mentioned in this thread. Slo-go'en brings up the point of hanging in places either where tents aren't practical or in terrain so steep and remote that what comes to mind are the Army jungle hammocks popular during the Vietnam war. Which gets us back to jungle use. They started in the jungle and so maybe that's where they should stay.

Really, hammock camping is just tarp camping with a suspended bivy bag, and anyone who has spent any length of time in either knows their drawbacks. It's either too hot or too cold, as ChinMusic says, or the tarp area fills with spindrift snow during a high mountain blizzard, or the crazy notion of spending five days holed up in a hammock during a 0F North Carolina blizzard when instead you could be pulling the time in a decent roomy tent.

russb
08-23-2011, 19:08
What do I not like about hammocks? Everyone else wants to use mine.

For a select few they may not be comfortable. For almost all the other "problems" it is a matter of the type of hammock system. There are almost as many hammock systems as there are tent designs and it would be in error to dismiss all tents due to condensation issues of some tents in some situations. There are certain tents which work better in some conditions and for certain people; the same is true for hammocks.

It is interesting that some perceive hammockers of being over zealous in their promotion of their choice of shelter. When someone asks about the "best tent" and a hammocker chimes in, my view is the hammocker views their system as a type of tent system. So it is interesting to me that some view hammockers as preachy but not a tenter who advocates his/her specific brand/design characteristic. When opinions regarding shelter are requested are hammockers not allowed to provide their opinion? In the end, I would rather hammocks stayed out of the mainstream, it keeps the secluded campsites where tents don't work empty for me.

HeartFire
08-23-2011, 19:11
From a womans point of view - I can't pee in the middle of the night in the hammock (well, if I wanted to wet the whole thing I suppose I could). In a tent I can squat over a 'thunder pot' ( or a ziplock bag as the case may be)

Lellers
08-23-2011, 19:26
While I sometimes envy hammockers their ability to stop nearly anywhere there are two suitable trees, I just have not been comfortable in a hammock. I thrash around a lot when I sleep, and I usually end up on my stomach. I find that in the hammock, when I want to change position, I wake up in order to move. In my tent, I sleep straight through the my position changes. I've also already invested in a comfortable tent/sleeping system. I am not going to go out and invest in even more gear when what I have suits me well. There just would not be enough return on that investment for me.

Toolshed
08-23-2011, 19:55
I hang (Late Spring-Early Fall) and ground-dwell (Winter). I like to sleep in a hammock, however, there is not much else I like to do with one.
I am torn as I like the flexibility of crawling in and out of a tent as well as lying in a tent and looking out the door at night. I don't like looking through Mesh of my Hennessy.
I also like to push my weight "off" the ground when adjusting, rather than wriggling around to get comfy, though once I am comfy I am set.

When taking cub scouts or boy scouts camping I have had to get up multiple times through the evening to get the kids to quiet down and go to sleep, getting in and out of the hammock in a hurry annoys me. Also as mentioned by others, since I have been tent camping much much longer than hammocking, I have a higher comfort level with getting in an out of my tent fast and stealthily.

couscous
08-23-2011, 19:56
I guess there are ways to secure hammocks to trees without tying but I can't penetrate the information density over at hammockforums and I don't know anyone here to model on.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Strap%20Set.htm

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Hooch
08-23-2011, 21:01
This is about the best quote I've seen on hammock opinion. "You won't find ground dwellers barking in" about says it all.

Another apt summary. Keep 'em coming.

Everybody knows the hammock first evolved in the jungles of Central America, and everybody knows why: To get off the ground and away from the ants and biting bugs and jungle snakes. The Seminole chickee is with this same thought in mind. Then sailors starting using hammocks aboard ships in tight quarters, etc. None of this explains why hammocks are so popular nowadays what with the drawbacks already mentioned in this thread. Slo-go'en brings up the point of hanging in places either where tents aren't practical or in terrain so steep and remote that what comes to mind are the Army jungle hammocks popular during the Vietnam war. Which gets us back to jungle use. They started in the jungle and so maybe that's where they should stay.

Really, hammock camping is just tarp camping with a suspended bivy bag, and anyone who has spent any length of time in either knows their drawbacks. It's either too hot or too cold, as ChinMusic says, or the tarp area fills with spindrift snow during a high mountain blizzard, or the crazy notion of spending five days holed up in a hammock during a 0F North Carolina blizzard when instead you could be pulling the time in a decent roomy tent.Ah, was wondering when WB's Hammock Hater-In-Chief was gonna chime in. :rolleyes:

Wise Old Owl
08-23-2011, 22:33
The biggest down side is the sleeping alone.

Oh please ..No snoring to bother you - your snoring won't bother anyone else... Sleep well my friends.....

Tipi Walter
08-23-2011, 22:53
Ah, was wondering when WB's Hammock Hater-In-Chief was gonna chime in. :rolleyes:

I can't take full honors as you forget to mention the negatories of both ChinMusic and Lone Wolf.

daddytwosticks
08-24-2011, 07:30
Suggestion...use what ever equipment you want and enjoy YOUR time on the trail. What's bad is when any zealous person tries to force his or her philosophy about anything onto any unreceptive hiker. :)

Doc Mike
08-24-2011, 08:16
Some don't have the mental aptitude to master hanging a hammock. Which for a person of reasonable ability should be mastered in a few minutes. As with any critique consider the source and consider how hard it is to except change. ie if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality. If thats the case what was wrong with horse and buggy worked every time no fussing with it minimal learning curve, personally glad I have my pickup.

That being said I use both tents and hammocks and have been known to sleep in a shelter at times. For all the reasons above one solution all the time is not always the best.

Lone Wolf
08-24-2011, 09:36
no need to change from a good nights sleep to a poor nights sleep. if it ain't broke don't try to fix it

phobos
08-24-2011, 10:02
http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Strap Set.htm

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

not too mention if you get a warbonnet hammock it comes with the easiest method of tying off a hammock i've seen.

phobos
08-24-2011, 10:10
Like many others have stated its all about personal opionion. To each his own. I never really felt comfortable sleeping on the ground, I would toss and turn. Have a sore back, etc.. So, I purchased a hammock. When hung correctly, it is probably the most comfortable sleep i've had. Almost rivals my big, nice, king-sized bed. As far as stomach/side sleepers,I fall into that category as well. I have had zero issues sleeping on my stomach or side. It also doubles as a chair when you're having breakfast or that morning coffee. . While I have added some extra ounces with the hammock gear, having a good nights sleep was well worth it for me. I'd suggest, like a others have, to give it a shot if you want.

Mags
08-24-2011, 11:56
I can certainly see the appeal of a hammock, but for the above treeline backpacking I often do (and the Utah backpacking I also enjoy. Not many trees in the red rock! :D), a hammock would be impractical. I prefer to cowboy camp when I can anyway. Throw down a ground cloth and call it good.

I think if i was in the southeast Appalachians or the Pacific NW, a hammock would be an awesome thing to use.

Rolloff
08-24-2011, 15:38
New member here and hello.

Bugs, ticks, and poison ivy, are the first three of my two cents, for hammocks.

Cost of gearing up again, is my major con. You can footprint, pad, sleeping bag and tarp up, for cheaper. It is a fact, that, providing you go with the Top Quilt/Under Quilt system, you are essentially using two or parts of two sleeping bags.

A neat way of getting around that issue, is adhering to the ultralight creedo, "Everything must do double duty." Some of the crafty cottage people and DIY'rs are making wearable Top Quilts, which allow you to leave, your down jacket at home, and even things out a bit gramwise.

While you can easily run up a 800-100 dollar price tag on hammock camping, you can also break into the field with much cheaper equipment. 25 dollar hammock, foam pad, Tyvek tarp, the sleeping bag you already have atm. You might not want to depend on that set up, for a thru hike, but you can certainly get a feel for hammocks and see if they are for you or not.

Remember while a hammock won't hang very well above treeline, you can almost always go to ground, biviy style. but a Tarp tent set up that does not do well on the side of a hill, or over saturated ground, cannot go to air.

Farr Away
08-24-2011, 16:43
When it comes to hammocks, people seem to love them or hate them. Very few people are middle-of-the-road. I love mine; I sleep better in it than I do my bed at home. My husband tried one and hated it.

Lots of reasons why people don't like hammocks - many do come down to the learning curve. I can't hardly move in the morning after sleeping on the ground, so I was a motivated learner.

YMMV. If you like what you're doing, great. If not, see if you can find someone who will let you try out something different.

SouthMark
08-24-2011, 18:41
It just comes down to different strokes for different folks. I use a hammock because it is much more comfortable for me than sleeping on the ground but it is not for others. I tried to go back to a tent once but just cannot stand crawling on my hands and knees in and out of a tent. I don't like waking up on and off all night. I'm a side sleeper and sleeping on the ground just is not comfortable for me anymore. It was ok 30 years ago but not anymore. I do not like changing clothes while lying on my back. I hate waking up in the morning and all my body feeling like I slept on a board. I do not like holding up in bad weather in a small tent. Hammocks ARE NOT FOR EVERYBODY but NEITHER ARE TENTS. One is not better than the other. It just a personal choice just like any other aspect of hiking; stoves, packs, etc. That's why there are choices.

Country Roads
08-25-2011, 20:00
Strange, I have not had any problems sleeping on my side or my stomach for that matter in a hammock.
Yes, sometimes I use a UL tent when I really need to watch the pack weight, but I now prefer my hammock for the comfort. I actually sleep in one full time and spooning in a hammock is a lot easier :)

Stumblefoot
08-25-2011, 20:13
I've spent many a night in a tent. About eight years ago I bought my first hammock. It was heavier than my tent and a pain to set up. I bought a Hennessy hammock and loved it. It was lighter than my tent and actually easier to set up. In April 2004, I took a five day, four night kayak trip down the Great Pee Dee River in SC with a friend. We both slept in hammocks. There were a couple of places that we could not have used a tent. Today I use a Warbonnet Blackbird or a Switchback. I much prefer the comfort of sleeping in a hammock and not having to worry about finding that rock or root about three in the morning.

Jack Tarlin
08-25-2011, 23:58
Not much you can do in a hammock except rest/sleep in it. In a tent, you can do that; you can make a meal, do a field repair on gear, sit up and play cards, entertain company, have room for a player to be named later. Oh, and you also have room for your pack, meaning it's not out there in the elements, or where critters can (and will) get at it, etc. Plus, there are indeed places on the Trail where there are no trees but there are places where you can pitch.....you wanna stay on the very top of a mountain or rock ledge, look at the stars, and so on? Kinda hard to do that on places where there aren't any trees.

phobos
08-26-2011, 09:58
Not much you can do in a hammock except rest/sleep in it. In a tent, you can do that; you can make a meal, do a field repair on gear, sit up and play cards, entertain company, have room for a player to be named later. Oh, and you also have room for your pack, meaning it's not out there in the elements, or where critters can (and will) get at it, etc. Plus, there are indeed places on the Trail where there are no trees but there are places where you can pitch.....you wanna stay on the very top of a mountain or rock ledge, look at the stars, and so on? Kinda hard to do that on places where there aren't any trees.

Thats not entirely true, You can do much of those things you mentioned while being in a hammock. i've made meals while laying in my hammock, as long as you pitch it to where you aren't too far off the ground. Also, doubles as a reclined seat. Its true, you're pack is exposed to the elements, but you can hang it from your guylines. So, its at least off the ground.

Obviously, you wouldn't take a hammock if you were hiking in areas without trees and/or wanting to camp in a spot without trees:P I'd be willing to bet, a lot of "hammock'ers" still have a tent they could use if they did so choose. I know I do.

russb
08-26-2011, 10:12

Not true. I am sorry but your post is based solely on ignorance. All of these can be done with a hammock setup. It depends on the hammock setup. Your statement is based on one single type of hammock, most likely the hennesy with the tiny tarp. Drawing a conclusion based on a single hammock is just as wrong as drawing the same conclusion when one uses a specific tent setup which cannot do any of the things you describe. Yes in a hammock I have done all of the things you described as impossible, including setting up and sleeping where there were no trees to hang from.

Tom Murphy
08-26-2011, 10:15

Agree:
can't entertain in a hammock
can't play cards
can't cook in hammock
there are probably places without trees [just not anywhere near me {NewEngland}]

Disagree:
use my hammock as a camp chair
do gear repair while sitting in hammock
my backpack is under my tarp and prtected from the elements
I have hung my hammock on a number of moutain tops and ledges that you couldn't place a tent.

Both tents and hammocks have their advantages. I solo with my hammock in the 3 seasons and bring my tent for group trips and for winter solos.

russb
08-26-2011, 10:36
I think the biggest problem people have with understanding hammocks is they think of them as the shelter. The hammock is not the shelter anymore than a foam sleeping pad is ones shelter. The hammock is what one lays on while sleeping. One's shelter is what is above and/or around you. Most hammock users use a tarp of some sort as their shelter. Since tarps come in various shapes and sizes, it is the tarp which allows for or inhibits other activities, not the hammock or sleeping pad. There are so many tarps out there, it is difficult to not find one to suit your needs. So far the only hammock shelter design I have not seen is one with an attached floor. I have considered cutting up an old tent to allow hammock straps through it but haven't gotten around to it because it would only be for fun since it isn't necessary to have the "floor" in all my years of using a hammock. Maybe I should just to do it.

scope
08-26-2011, 10:37
Jack, did you mean to do that? (open up the can...)

phobos
08-26-2011, 11:25
Jack, did you mean to do that? (open up the can...)

heh ;P No harm done.

ScottP
08-26-2011, 12:01
hammocks excel when it's hot, you're alone, weight isn't a big deal, and there's bugs.

Canoeing in the Boundary waters? Yup

AT? no thanks

Raul Perez
08-26-2011, 12:14
Again why the hell does this weight issue keep comming up?

BobTheBuilder
08-26-2011, 13:44
I was a tenter, then a tarp tenter, now a hammocker. I just think the hammock is a lot more comfortable for sleeping with the right insulation system (although miserable without it).

The real down side is that I can no longer sleep inside shelters in bad weather, because I use an underquilt instead of an inflatable thermarest. At my age, I would be miserable on a wooden floor without a pad. I can always camp around a shelter, just not inside. Still, the quality of sleep I get in a hammock is worth it, so I'm OK with the trade-off.

Rain Man
08-26-2011, 21:22
Again why the hell does this weight issue keep coming up?

Maybe ignorance?

Rain Man

ScottP
08-26-2011, 22:22
Again why the hell does this weight issue keep comming up?

hammocks are significantly heavier than tarps.

Raul Perez
08-26-2011, 22:24
hammocks are significantly heavier than tarps.

So are tents.... so what's the issue.

double j
08-26-2011, 22:49
i use both tent and hammock

WingedMonkey
08-26-2011, 22:57
How does a thread asking "Why do people not like hammocks?" end up being a thread on why hammocks are so wonderful?

ChinMusic
08-26-2011, 23:12
How does a thread asking "Why do people not like hammocks?" end up being a thread on why hammocks are so wonderful?

Come on man, that was a given............

ScottP
08-26-2011, 23:14
So are tents.... so what's the issue.

bricks are heavier than hammocks too! what's the issue?

Jim Adams
08-26-2011, 23:49
for me...too cold, to much work, too uncomfortable

geek

SouthMark
08-27-2011, 00:03
My set ups:
Gossamer Gear One Tent seam sealed 19.9 oz
NeoAir Regular 14.4 oz
Go Lite Ultra 20 Quilt 19.1 oz
TOTAL 53.4 oz

Warbonnet Traveler Hammock with Whoopies 7.7 oz
Tree Huggers 2.3 oz
8 x 10 Cuben Tarp with Ridge Line and Guy Lines 8.3 oz
JRB No Sniveler 20º Under Quilt 21.7 oz
Go Lite Ultra 20 Quilt 19.1 oz
TOTAL 59.1 oz

My summer setup is 37.4 oz

SouthMark
08-27-2011, 00:07
As for being too cold, I spent a night in January on Roan High Knob with the low of 1.8º and was warm and toasty. Two other hangers there had just come from Ely, MN where they had slept in their hammocks in -27º. Three young fellows from Va Tech showed up and nearly froze theit a$$es off with their tents.

Del Q
08-27-2011, 00:12
2 things to me, too heavy and too complicated. I can pitch my (roomy) 34 oz. Tarptent quickly and easily. I am not too handy with knots and although others say they are comfy, just don't get it.

Raul Perez
08-27-2011, 02:33
bricks are heavier than hammocks too! what's the issue?

My issue is that you and others make blanket statements on how a hammock is heavier. Heavier than what? Your system which is a tarp or a tent? If so give your specific weights for your system and the hammock system you are comparing too. I'd like to understand why people keep saying how a hammock system is so heavy that it would influence their decision.

Raul Perez
08-27-2011, 02:35
hammocks excel when it's hot, you're alone, weight isn't a big deal, and there's bugs.

Canoeing in the Boundary waters? Yup

AT? no thanks

Interesting... how is it that hammocks can not excel on the AT when several people have hammocked the entire AT with no issues.

russb
08-27-2011, 07:10
If someone was to complain that they don't like sleeping in tents because they are cold what would be the response?

My response is the same for tent users, hammock users, anyone sleeping outside. If you are cold you are doing it wrong.

I have been toasty warm in my hammock setup at -14*F (yes that is negative) with 20 mph winds.

Tipi Walter
08-27-2011, 07:56
There are two concerns with hammocks, the first being what ChinMusic mentioned on post 5: "Unlike hammockers, you won't find ground dwellers barking in nearly every thread trying to convince everyone to go their way. It almost seems like a religion to many of them." It's common to see someone start a thread on "What's The Best TarpTent?" or "I Need A Four Season Tent" and then have the hammock crowd chime in about getting off the ground and to use a hammock instead. It's unreasonable and not even part of the thread and yet, here they come.

The other main concern is during long winter trips when several days have to spent holed up in a hammock during a series of hard blizzards with high winds. Last winter I was on a backpacking trip and got caught in a series of four blizzards, one after the other (see below fotog). I spent four days stuck on a mountain top at 5,300 and the next seven days stuck at a high gap nearby. Why so long? Because the snow was too deep to move---and in East TN we don't carry snowshoes, so I waited it out. I thought about the hammockers and how they could sit stuck inside their hammocks the whole time.

At least in my 37 sq foot tent I could lounge and cook and sit up and move around, all in a snow-free environment. Another big negatory would be their tarps not keeping out spindrift---the blown-in snow from the blizzard winds. Remember, hammock camping is essentially Tarp camping---and very few serious winter backpackers tarp camp. We all know tarps are light, but if they are so good in the cold and the snow and the wind, why aren't they used by mountaineers on high altitude alpine climbs??

http://www.trailgallery.com/photos/11648/tj11648_012611_081734_594959.jpg

russb
08-27-2011, 08:05
tipi, with all due respect, you bring up this story all the time and every time someone with experience and knowledge of using a hammock system to do all the things you describe as requiring your tent you are never seen from (in that thread) again. As to your first comment, I responded to that "point" already earlier and not unexpected you ignored that too. Hike your hike, but don't tell me that what I do is impossible because I do it all the time and am very comfortable doing it.

russb
08-27-2011, 08:12
tipi, regardless of our disagreement on this, I consider you a "brother in the backpacking community". I would also like to invite you to join me anytime up here in the adirondacks for a winter (or any season) trip. I backpack (or canoetrip) every other weekend and am able to do longer trips every couple of months.

Tipi Walter
08-27-2011, 08:37
tipi, with all due respect, you bring up this story all the time and every time someone with experience and knowledge of using a hammock system to do all the things you describe as requiring your tent you are never seen from (in that thread) again. As to your first comment, I responded to that "point" already earlier and not unexpected you ignored that too. Hike your hike, but don't tell me that what I do is impossible because I do it all the time and am very comfortable doing it.

So, have you every spent 7-10 days stuck in one place in your hammock?? I would expect someone with the experience and knowledge of using a hammock system to add their insight on pulling a long basecamp stuck in a hammock during these kinds of storms. What's it like? I can tell you what it's like in a tent---long and boring and cold with cabin fever.

russb
08-27-2011, 09:09
Not that long. Never been cold except when using a tent, that isn't the tents fault it was me being young and inexperienced. I would concur with the long boring part. That is due I think to be being alone. The nights are long in winter as it is when you are out on a solo trip even when the weather is "nice". I will reiterate my invitation, that would help us both with the long boring times.

Tipi Walter
08-27-2011, 09:27
Not that long. Never been cold except when using a tent, that isn't the tents fault it was me being young and inexperienced. I would concur with the long boring part. That is due I think to be being alone. The nights are long in winter as it is when you are out on a solo trip even when the weather is "nice". I will reiterate my invitation, that would help us both with the long boring times.

We should meet halfway in Virginia at Mt Rogers and pull a January trip. Now that would be a good place to get our butts handed to us, whether in a hammock or a tarp. In fact, the hammock boys over at Hammock.com or whatever it is have a yearly winter hang in the Mt Rogers highlands.

russb
08-27-2011, 09:32
We should meet halfway in Virginia at Mt Rogers and pull a January trip. Now that would be a good place to get our butts handed to us, whether in a hammock or a tarp. In fact, the hammock boys over at Hammock.com or whatever it is have a yearly winter hang in the Mt Rogers highlands.

Love to. January is tough for my schedule. I do have a more availability in February.

I haven't had a chance to do that "winter hang".

Tipi Walter
08-27-2011, 10:06
Love to. January is tough for my schedule. I do have a more availability in February.

I haven't had a chance to do that "winter hang".

Actually, probably the best time to go would be in October or November before the high ground gets possibly snowed-in and difficult to drive, i.e. Massie Gap overnight parking lot. I'm sure the northern mountains where you live have some tough winter mountains, too.

jlo
08-27-2011, 14:00
I used a hammock for my 2 month hike this summer and really loved sleeping in it! But I will say it has it's disadvantages.

-It's a lot of fuss to get everything just right for sleeping, getting in your sleeping bag when you get in the hammock can take about 2 minutes to get comfortable and get the wrinkles out from underneath you.
-You can't have your stuff in the hammock with you. My eno hammock has a little pocket, so I used the for my headlamp and whater else I wanted with me, but I had to put my pack somewhere outside. I would put my pack in a plastic bag and put it under my hammock. Then in bear country, I had to hang it or put it in the shelter with strangers. Nothing ever happened to my pack, but I would have preferred having a tent to store my pack with me.
-Sometimes, you just don't have good trees to hang your hammock on. About 4-5 times, I was at a shelter or in high country or surrounded by dead trees at the end of the day and there were no good place to safely hang a hammock. I would be forced to stay in the shelter or make a makeshift shelter with my rain tarp and hiking poles.

-Finally, sometimes you just want to lay on a flat surface rather than be in a slightly curved sleeping position.

But I will say, for all that, I slept really well most nights and much better than on the hard ground and it was great to have for days when I wanted to just chill. I hung my hammock several times by a river or lake and just read a book or napped.

jlo
08-27-2011, 14:02
And one more advantage to the hammock: you don't have to try and find level ground with no rocks and roots while walking through the wooded mountains :)

rjjones
08-27-2011, 14:49
Jlo,if i could make a sugestion without being called a hammock Nazi{not by you but others}.A top quilt would solve the problem of figgeting around in a sleeping bag trying to get it right.Ive also read there are gound sleepers going to top quilts to save some weight.Alot of good info here.Just funny to see the attacks between the hammockers and tenters.People should just disperse there opinions/info,and allow others to take it,try it and make there own decisions.Theres "no right or wrong",and alot of factors.Bob

Tipi Walter
08-27-2011, 15:13
I'm thinking back to a winter trip I did in November 2008 when I was atop a bald at 5,300 in a sudden surprise sleet storm, and my campsite neighbors had a guy in a hammock. See fotogs:

http://www.trailgallery.com/photos/6843/tj6843_112608_171037_404086.jpg
First off, his tarp flew off during the night when the sleet and wind started and so he bailed to a friend's tent. When I say it was windy, it was really windy.

http://www.trailgallery.com/photos/6843/tj6843_112608_172553_404128.jpg
Here are the boys trying to get shelter from the butt cold wind and sleet by throwing up a tarp.

http://www.trailgallery.com/photos/6843/tj6843_112608_173230_404130.jpg
As the day deteriorates the group of six decide to bail off the mountain and here's the kicker: The hammock boy left his uncovered pack sitting out below his hammock and it first got covered in rain which turned to sleet and then the whole thing froze up solid like a rock. I sat with him while he tried to undo his frozen zippers and it was painful to watch---frozen fingers and all.

http://www.trailgallery.com/photos/10065/tj10065_072910_232754_556373.jpg
None of this is to say I don't have backpacking buddies who hammock camp. Here's Coy set up and eating breakfast.

http://www.trailgallery.com/photos/10065/tj10065_072910_233217_556374.jpg
In July 2010 hammock expert Medicine Man shows up and sets up his fine little hammock. Check out his Aarn pack system.

http://www.trailgallery.com/photos/10065/tj10065_080310_083841_557919.jpg
Here are two more hammock fanatics, Sgt Rock and Wisenber, camping on Slickrock Creek, with Medicine Man relaxing in his hammock at bottom.

http://www.trailgallery.com/photos/10065/tj10065_100510_155555_575869.jpg
Here's Coy again, this time on the Upper Slickrock nutbuster trail, messing with his hammock.

http://www.trailgallery.com/photos/10065/tj10065_100610_094736_576051.jpg
Later in the trip Coy sets up his hammock in a high gap at 5,000 feet.

http://www.trailgallery.com/photos/10065/tj10065_100610_094159_576049.jpg
Coy and I have had long conversations about hammocks and I try to point out all their weaknesses and foibles and when I do he usually snaps as shown here. Hammockers have a very short fuse.

Raul Perez
08-27-2011, 22:59
This whole weight thing was bugging me and since I'm riding out Irene tonight I did some research and posted on my Blog www.watermonkey.net

Here is my study:

First off... using just a tarp is right now the lightest option out there period. Undisputed. I get it and I have ZERO problem with that.
In this gangsta rap of a blog I’m going to see if these non-hammockers are right. Does a hammock weigh significantly more than the current basic ultralight tent option? Well since my 3 season base weight is at the 8.5lbs mark the answer is probably not. BUT I hate it when someone just makes a comment and doesnt back it up with thuggish facts. So let the Water Monkey spit some hot fire and lets be surprised together (since I’ve never done this much research in the subject before):
In this comparison lets look at the shelter in 4 areas for 3 season - Structure, Weather Protection, Bottom Insulation, and Top Insulation. All figures will be taken from the manufacturer’s website and the assumption will be an average 5’10” individual weighing 180lbs.
Tenting Option (Basic):
Structure/Weather Protection - Tarptent Contrail - 24.5oz ($199)
Bottom Insulation - Neo Air Medium - 13oz ($140)
Top Insulation - Montbell Down Spiral Hugger 30*F - 21oz ($285)
Total Weight (cost) = 58.5oz or 3.67 lbs ($628)
Hammock Option (Basic with some knowledgable UL changes):
Structure - Warbonnet Traveler 1.7 Single Layer ( 12.5oz) with dynaglide whoopies & Tree straps (3.5oz) = $93.00
Pappa Smurf Bug sock = $60 (2oz)
Weather Protection - Warbonnet Edge Tarp silnylon (11.5oz) with guylines = $100
Top Insulation - Warbonnet 3 Season Mamba (19oz) = $250
Bottom Insulation = Warbonnet Yeti (12.5oz) $189 & Gossamer Gear Thinlight Cut down pad (1.5oz) $30 = $219
Total Weight (cost) = 62.2oz or 3.89 lbs ($722)
So what’s the difference....
3.7oz or .23 lbs Favor Tent in weight. Less than a quarter of a pound.
$94 difference in favor of the tent.
So there you have it... This is where it becomes subjective. Is 1/4 of a pound a big difference to you? I’m not sure, I’m not you. But that’s fairly comparable if you ask me.
Now the reason that I threw in the prices also was because I know hammocking does cost a little more than tenting. And based on the basic version with some UL suspension swap outs you are looking at $100 more. This could be the deal breaker for many people so the Water Monkey wants to keep it real for ya.
You can go lighter on both sides by tossing in cuben fiber to the equation for the tent. You can also do the same for the hammock and even choose a smaller/lighter hammock (GT Nano Hammock). You can play the what if’s till you are blue in the face. I chose what I chose because it was easy to research and many who are on the quest for UL backpacking on both sides are familiar with those products and manufacturers.

CrumbSnatcher
08-27-2011, 23:08
Has anyone known someone to try using a hammock but not like it and stick with tent camping? I hear lots of rave reviews of people loving hammocks and I was just curious as to reasons why people may not like them.they scare me

rjjones
08-28-2011, 07:53
Nice work MoMoMoMoMonkey.Great info.This site is great.And to clairify one of my statements in my last post.Its battling between hammockers,and,"anti-hammockers".{not tenters}Dont be a hammock "Hate-a".:rolleyes:

Bearpaw
08-28-2011, 17:32
People who don't love hammocks are just poopyheads. :D

End of story. :banana

Hooch
08-28-2011, 19:59
People who don't love hammocks are just poopyheads. :D

End of story. :banana

So sayeth the shepherd, so sayeth the flock!

Country Roads
08-28-2011, 20:35
As for cooking and eating; I cooked breakfast this morning from my hammock and had breakfast in bed; hurricane Irene made me; she bad; hammock good. The downside: The dog is not happy; so I have promised that I would make her a hammock. Let's see what else have I done in a hammock: changed clothes, combed my hair, packed up (not that it helped) and .... Hmm.
Yes, I will still have to use my tent sometimes, but I likes my hammock more.

BobTheBuilder
08-29-2011, 13:01
I just finished assembling my pack for a seven-day section hike next week in VA. With my new underquilt and top quilt, my hammocking base weight w/o food and water is now 19lbs, about a pound less than my best with my tarptent. And I am about $400 poorer, but it's only money.

stan
08-30-2011, 07:33
I find it amusing, with the hater comments, Totally speaking from uneducated assumptions.. I would wander over to hammock forum and ask questions if you were indeed serious.. I agree some hangers get a little over zealous about it, but seriously it is because they want to share the extreme comfort advantage..( I am one of them) and how does one get claustrophobic in a hammock and tarp and not in a closed up tent? So many set up options for the tarp it is sick.. And do you really think a tent will stop a curious bear? Yeah right....lol.. The reason ground folks don't get all pushy about it, is purely because there is no plus to comfort sleeping on the ground imo.. To each their own,but childish uneducated banter helps no one.. I sleep full time in a warbonnet traveler, going on about a year and a half now..It is all about the comfort for me.. A lot of folks with serious back issues are converting over.. I think that says a lot.. Good luck either way!!

Tipi Walter
08-30-2011, 08:24
I think the biggest problem people have with understanding hammocks is they think of them as the shelter. The hammock is not the shelter anymore than a foam sleeping pad is ones shelter. The hammock is what one lays on while sleeping. One's shelter is what is above and/or around you. Most hammock users use a tarp of some sort as their shelter. Since tarps come in various shapes and sizes, it is the tarp which allows for or inhibits other activities, not the hammock or sleeping pad.

You said it: The hammock is not the shelter. I agree. So, we're back to the pros and cons of tarp camping.

I find it amusing, with the hater comments, Totally speaking from uneducated assumptions.. I would wander over to hammock forum and ask questions if you were indeed serious.. I agree some hangers get a little over zealous about it, but seriously it is because they want to share the extreme comfort advantage..( I am one of them) and how does one get claustrophobic in a hammock and tarp and not in a closed up tent?

How does one get claustrophobic in a hammock? BECAUSE IT'S GOT ABOUT EIGHT SQ FEET OF SPACE. A small tent is twice that and my winter tunnel is 37 sq feet. Of course, the tarp camp above and around the hammock becomes the real living space, but then you're stuck with the drawbacks of all tarps: Wind Hellstorms with horizontal rain and 50-60mph gusts, very tough in a tarp. And in the winter, well, you want exclusive protection from the biting winds at 0F (and you want to get out of the spindrift and blowing snow)---and you're cold dangit---so what can you do? Get in the hammock, get in the bag, and stay put for the duration.

You're shelter has now become your hanging bivy sack---the hammock---and all activities must be done from inside the protected hammock as it's the only real protection from the butt cold wind and blowing snow. All around inside and under the tarp has now become a half-foot of accumulating snow, so where is all your gear? Your pack, your stove and fuel, your boots, your crocs, your rain jacket, your ditty bag, your journal or books or maps? Are they nice and dry inside the hammock with you, or are they all crammed into your pack which is sitting under the tarp in a garbage bag? What if you need to get to your boots real fast?

FritztheCat
08-30-2011, 08:24
I've been a life-long tenter and took my tent with me on my thru attempt. In PA, I switched to a Hennessey hammock and a lighter pack to shave a few pounds off my pack. The hammock is awesome but took me quite a while to find that "sweet spot" where side sleeping is not only possible, but comfortable. Once I found it, I enjoyed the hammock almost as much as my tent.

Pros of hanging:
Lighter weight (for me at least)
Quick, easy setup and take down
No need to look for a flat spot
Much, much cooler during the summer nights
Love using the hammock as a chair

Cons of hanging:
Finding that "sweet spot", then having to get out and pee and climb back in and find it again
Never got stuck in the hammock during bad weather but it would have been pretty boring
I'm too clumsy to try and cook in the hammock (I'd certainly burn holes in the mesh)
Pack sits outside (I do hang it to get it off the ground)

Since I now have both, I'm using the lighter pack and hammock for summer hikes and will use my heavier pack and tent for cooler weather hikes. I'm actually very pleased to have both and will continue to tinker with the hammock as there is a learning curve, which I'm still learning.

stan
08-30-2011, 09:26
Tipi...Sorry if you have to hate hammocks.. Falling on deaf ears here.. I know better.. They make tarps to fit any situation..You can setup in porch mode and eat, dress, or just sit back and watch the storm for that matter, something you cannot do in a closed up tent..Sorry, not into staring at the walls..Don't miss the condensation either btw..

ChinMusic
08-30-2011, 09:28
Why don't I read about folks using hammocks at home instead of their beds?

stan
08-30-2011, 09:31
Chin....Please refer to my earlier post.. Many folks do this..

scope
08-30-2011, 10:06
I don't get the benefit of being "stuck" in a tent vs a hammock. Is it one of those, "look at all this space I have compared to a hammock, I can do so much more stuff!!" ?? Really ?!!!?? Seriously!?!?!?

The tarp (roof) defines usable space, the hammock just makes it a whole lot easier to sit around and do nothing in it. I'd much rather be "stuck" in my hammock, which by virtue of covered space, is similar to a 3-4 man tent - at half the weight.

This IS, however, IMO the number one reason people don't like hammocks. They take a cursory look at the setup and compare it to what they have with a tent. Apples and oranges, but the core basics are the same if you take the time to think about them - which, isn't that the real issue?

Farr Away
08-30-2011, 10:10

I like to sleep with my husband; he hates hammocks.

Raul Perez
08-30-2011, 10:18
I think the biggest problem people have with understanding hammocks is they think of them as the shelter. The hammock is not the shelter anymore than a foam sleeping pad is ones shelter. The hammock is what one lays on while sleeping. One's shelter is what is above and/or around you. Most hammock users use a tarp of some sort as their shelter. Since tarps come in various shapes and sizes, it is the tarp which allows for or inhibits other activities, not the hammock or sleeping pad. There are so many tarps out there, it is difficult to not find one to suit your needs. So far the only hammock shelter design I have not seen is one with an attached floor. I have considered cutting up an old tent to allow hammock straps through it but haven't gotten around to it because it would only be for fun since it isn't necessary to have the "floor" in all my years of using a hammock. Maybe I should just to do it.

I actually consider the hammock the same as a shelter. The tarp as the rain protection. If it is a nice night out I would go tarpless and enjoy the weather. The same as a tenter would take off the rain fly and enjoy a nice cool relaxing breeze with just the mesh body to protect against bugs. A hammock has bug protection the same as a tent and ways to protect in the rain.

theinfamousj
08-31-2011, 14:03
And then there are those of us who really, really like lying on a firm sleeping surface. When I went to buy a new mattress, I bemoaned the fact that no one made a fabric coated slab of granite. For me, the ground is as firm as you can get.

So, hammocks are not for everyone, but then neither is my method of sleeping. I've heard enough complaints about butt bruises from those who even so much as sit on my (at home) bed.

ChinMusic
08-31-2011, 14:14
And then there are those of us who really, really like lying on a firm sleeping surface. When I went to buy a new mattress, I bemoaned the fact that no one made a fabric coated slab of granite. For me, the ground is as firm as you can get.

I made a mistake in buying a pillow-top mattress a couple years ago. I HATED it, but not because it was too soft. I had to sleep on the floor as it was just TOO DANG HOT. The foam was unacceptable to me. I now have a very firm mattress with ZERO foam.

Maybe that is why I can use my Neo Air to 20° without added insulation......

Yukon
08-31-2011, 15:50
Switched to a hammock this past spring, can't imagine ever going back to ground unless it was really needed. When my fiancee and I go out, we still use the tent. But, that's only because I haven't finished making her hammock that she asked for after lying in mine :)

I simply get a much better nights sleep in a hammock. I wake up in a tent very stiff, I wake up in my hammock feeling great and ready to hike. Plus, it's A LOT easier to find two trees than flat ground in the area which I do 99% of my hiking, VT. It has allowed me to camp in spots that I always wanted to but couldn't because there simply was not a place to put a tent. You have different options for setting up your tarp which is really nice, or not using it at all if the weather is good. With a tent, the fly is either on or off. The too hot-too cold arguement is bunk, once you spend any amount of time in a hammock with your quilts you learn very fast how to moderate your temps.

I'm not anti-tent, I have just moved onto something that in MY opinion is an easier, more comfortable sleep system. HYOH and SYOS (sleep your own sleep)...

mangus7175
08-31-2011, 16:11
Personally, when Zombies start to attack, I would like the ability to hang my hammock way above ground and watch tent dwellers attempt to fight off said Zombies. j/k

I recently switched to hammock camping when hiking since it really helped lower my average pack weight but I still do have my tents. It really depends on where I will be hiking that determines which sleep system to bring and of course if my daughter or son is with me. If my kids come along, I'll most likely be packing my tent...that's just me. I'm not really sure what's with the "hate" of either system. If you choose to pack a behemoth tent, or tarp tent, or hammock...that's up to you.

Can't we all just get along?

kayak karl
08-31-2011, 16:28
i sleep on the snow and sand beaches. all other times i hammock. to each his own.

Bearpaw
08-31-2011, 18:19

I have a hammock in the spare room. It's my preferred nap spot. If I have a stiff neck, shoulder, etc, I sleep for the night in the hammock. Usually, the stiffness is gone in the morning.

Of course, considering I am married, my wife isn't too keen on me sleeping in the hammock every night.

I wonder why tenters don't just carry their mattresses from home...

ChinMusic
08-31-2011, 18:49
I wonder why tenters don't just carry their mattresses from home...

I'd LOVE to have my bedroom mattress but haven't found anyone willing to carry it for me yet.

I DO carry my air mattress when visiting my daughter. I prefer it greatly to the couch.

Rain Man
08-31-2011, 18:58
I'm not really sure what's with the "hate" of either system. ... Can't we all just get along?

Ahhh, but that's not the way of zealous ideologues. Tenters v. Hammockers. Catholics v. Protestants. . Christians v. Muslims. Yankees v. Red Sox. The zealots ruin it for everyone.

Moderation (and even compromise) is a far superior philosophy to fundamentalism, supremalism, and absolutism in almost all matters.

P.S. I forgot Guns v. Dogs v. Boy Scouts, didn't I? LOL

russb
08-31-2011, 18:59

Many of us do! If you want to read about it, there are threads at the hammock forums about it.

Why don't I read about folks sleeping on their ridgerests or neoairs at home instead of their beds?

SassyWindsor
08-31-2011, 19:22

I agree. The hammock is no more a shelter than a rainsuit. Shelter is the tarp or building it's hung under.

Raul Perez
08-31-2011, 19:25
I again say that I disagree. Is a tent not a shelter when the rain fly is off?

Raul Perez
08-31-2011, 19:27
I actually consider the hammock the same as a shelter. The tarp as the rain protection. If it is a nice night out I would go tarpless and enjoy the weather. The same as a tenter would take off the rain fly and enjoy a nice cool relaxing breeze with just the mesh body to protect against bugs. A hammock has bug protection the same as a tent and ways to protect in the rain.

To reference my previous argument

SassyWindsor
08-31-2011, 19:41
If the rain-fly is attached, custom fitted, to a hammock like a tent, requires no trees to hang it from, then yes I would consider it a shelter. I've just never seen a hammock that looks like a tent with one rope coming out of each end. I also have a tent or two without a fly.

SassyWindsor
08-31-2011, 19:50
Actually, my Rain-fly is my shelter. I could string it up and sleep in my bag on the ground.

SouthMark
08-31-2011, 19:59
http://www.jacksrbetter.com/DSC00319%20-%20Web%20Small.JPG

Hammock inside JRB 11' x 10' Tarp Tent.

russb
08-31-2011, 20:28
I again say that I disagree. Is a tent not a shelter when the rain fly is off?

I would say it is not. A shelter provides refuge from bad weather. No matter though. My earlier post was only to help some who do not know much about hammocks to possibly view them differently and the words used to categorize them I thought might help.

Mags
08-31-2011, 20:29
I take this shelter with me on my trips... (http://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Force-Party-Grotto-Inflatable/dp/B005AZ372S)

Makes aqua blazing around Shenandoah easier.

Mags
08-31-2011, 20:33
[QUOTE=Rain Man;1195800
P.S. I forgot Guns v. Dogs v. Boy Scouts, didn't I? LOL

.[/QUOTE]

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-JKpmeS9-Xso/TknCkeRJiUI/AAAAAAAAHLI/1EirMd49h94/s400/Cowboys-vs.-Aliens-Poster.jpg

lemon b
08-31-2011, 20:33
Pain in the ass to set up in a windy and wet environment. As in over an inch of rain.

Wise Old Owl
08-31-2011, 22:52
WHO NEEDS A SHELTER - How about a comfy hang between trees.... on a starry night... Oh damn that's the owl hooting again...

mangus7175
09-01-2011, 12:58
Pain in the ass to set up in a windy and wet environment. As in over an inch of rain.

Are you talking about a tent or hammock? Snakeskins...makes life a lot easier when deploying both the tarp and hammock.

tjforrester
09-04-2011, 12:27
I've never tried a hammock, but the pros and cons are obvious.

Biggest con: going with a hammock would add weight to my pack.
Biggest pro: when hiking below treeline finding a campsite would be a breeze. (I don't stay in shelters so hunting for a campsite is a nightly occurrence. My tent is floorless, so site selection becomes problematic.)

But I'm interested in something else when it comes to hammockers. I've walked 1,400 miles on the AT this season, and I've only seen one hammock pitched away from an impacted campsite. Every other hammock has been tied over an existing campsite. I don't get it. With the millions of trees to hang from, why do hammockers choose to hang over existing campsites? I think it has something to do with the mindset of most AT hikers, most of whom choose their destination the night before, a shelter or a listed campsite in the data book. (This mindset negates the biggest plus for this system and that is you have many more options where to sleep than when tent camping.)

Anyway, I can see carrying a hammock through the Whites and Maine, don't see an advantage to using this system elsewhere on the AT, or on the PCT and CDT for that matter.

Raul Perez
09-04-2011, 12:46
But I'm interested in something else when it comes to hammockers. I've walked 1,400 miles on the AT this season, and I've only seen one hammock pitched away from an impacted campsite. Every other hammock has been tied over an existing campsite. I don't get it. With the millions of trees to hang from, why do hammockers choose to hang over existing campsites? I think it has something to do with the mindset of most AT hikers, most of whom choose their destination the night before, a shelter or a listed campsite in the data book. (This mindset negates the biggest plus for this system and that is you have many more options where to sleep than when tent camping.)

Anyway, I can see carrying a hammock through the Whites and Maine, don't see an advantage to using this system elsewhere on the AT, or on the PCT and CDT for that matter.

I can't speak for everyone but I try to hammock at known AT shelters or campsites. 2 main reasons - I'm doing my best to follow the LNT principles and not establishing another campsite if I dont have to. Yes I do stealth camp when I can't make it to a shelter but I try not to if I dont have to.

The other reason is in the state of NY and probably other states you are not permitted to create a fire outside of established campsites and shelters. So if I wanted to create a fire "legally" I would need to do so at a shelter or approved campsite. When I stealth I do not create a fire.

But that's me and how I hike. Others are different.

tjforrester
09-04-2011, 15:23
I can't speak for everyone but I try to hammock at known AT shelters or campsites. 2 main reasons - I'm doing my best to follow the LNT principles and not establishing another campsite if I dont have to. Yes I do stealth camp when I can't make it to a shelter but I try not to if I dont have to.

The other reason is in the state of NY and probably other states you are not permitted to create a fire outside of established campsites and shelters. So if I wanted to create a fire "legally" I would need to do so at a shelter or approved campsite. When I stealth I do not create a fire.

But that's me and how I hike. Others are different.

Raul, my sense of hammock camping is there is no need to clear brush away, no need to pick up rocks, no need to do anything but walk into the woods, tie a rope to two trees, and climb into the hammock. A hammock hanger isn't impacting the forest anymore than if he walked off trail to relieve himself. Hammock hangers, if they truly take advantage of their gear, are as no trace as a hiker can get.

I do understand the thinking that it's best to camp at existing sites because this condenses the impact on the trail, but, in my mind, that applies to hikers who sweep away the forest duff, break off branches, and build fire rings. It's much better for this type of hiker to stay in an existing site, much much better.

I'm the exact opposite of that kind of hiker. I camp well off the trail most of the time, usually out of sight, and when I leave no one can tell I was ever there. If everyone practiced this type of leave no trace, those brown stains along the trail would all but disappear. I suspect we'd also see a less crowded trail, given some hikers are scared of camping alone, which would mean even less impact.

Raul Perez
09-04-2011, 16:03
In theory yes you would leave less of an impact. There are also times when the only trees that are the right distance apart also have some foliage and barbed brushes as well as downed branches in the area and as such would require clearing in order to obtain the hang you need as well as a place to store your gear under your hammock or at least under your tarp. I've been forced to stealthed in some dense brush area and was forced to clear a small area for my hang when I was losing daylight and wouldn't make my campsite. I've also come across the perfect hang spots which dont require such an act. Obviously clearing out a spot happens less than when tenting or tarping but it is still a legit scenerio.

If you havent guessed it, the distance between trees is of some importance to achieve a comfortable hang. Usually between 12-18 feet. I prefer around 15-16 feet for my optimal hang. Also, one has to be careful of "widow makers" in the tree canopy. Often times I've found a really good hang spot only to look up and realize hanging there would not be a good decision for fear of the branch falling on me and causing injury/death or at the very least piercing my tarp.

Also, what if the hammocker decides to stay a couple days at the location (taking a zero to re-coupe from multiple high mileage days). The constant walking and clearing of an area to cook, clean and possibly build a fire would also affect the area. And perhaps not a fire pit but a small fire for cooking or using a hobo/wood fire stove... certainly that type of cooking would leave an impact in the area.

I like to go build fires when I'm out hiking. And as such I will only do so at designated campsites which is why I prefer to hike to those locations.

dla
09-07-2011, 11:26
Tents don't have a weight limit and work down to very cold with much cheaper (and more reliable) CCF pads.

Driver8
09-07-2011, 12:04
Has anyone known someone to try using a hammock but not like it and stick with tent camping? I hear lots of rave reviews of people loving hammocks and I was just curious as to reasons why people may not like them.

I prefer a level, even sleeping surface and have never, in my limited experienced, found hammocks to my taste. Far prefer a bed, cot or the ground.

scope
09-07-2011, 12:09
I agree. The hammock is no more a shelter than a rainsuit. Shelter is the tarp or building it's hung under.

I agree, the tarp is the real shelter. With a bug net, the hammock more like a bug bivy than a tent.

...Is a tent not a shelter when the rain fly is off?

A "shelter" from what? Bugs, but that's about it. I think for most, "shelter" means a roof over your head where you are mostly protected from weather elements so that you can sleep or whatever. A single wall tent would be a shelter. The inner setup of a double wall tent is not since its typically mesh to provide ventilation. I'm of the opinion that walls don't do much to protect you from anything other than your own fears.

I've never tried a hammock, but the pros and cons are obvious.

Biggest con: going with a hammock would add weight to my pack.
Biggest pro: when hiking below treeline finding a campsite would be a breeze. (I don't stay in shelters so hunting for a campsite is a nightly occurrence. My tent is floorless, so site selection becomes problematic.)

But I'm interested in something else when it comes to hammockers. I've walked 1,400 miles on the AT this season, and I've only seen one hammock pitched away from an impacted campsite... Every other hammock has been tied over an existing campsite. I don't get it. With the millions of trees to hang from, why do hammockers choose to hang over existing campsites? I think it has something to do with the mindset of most AT hikers, most of whom choose their destination the night before, a shelter or a listed campsite in the data book. (This mindset negates the biggest plus for this system and that is you have many more options where to sleep than when tent camping.)...

STEALTH, man, stealth... you can't see us!!! Ha, I have to admit to falling into the trap you mention - I see a cleared site and I immediately start looking for good trees to hang from. I don't think that negates anything, though, just means I need to think a bit more about my choices.

Tents don't have a weight limit and work down to very cold with much cheaper (and more reliable) CCF pads.

True, chances are good that you're not going to weigh more than planet Earth! Seriously, though, hammocks come in all sorts of "strengths" - which are by the way VERY conservatively rated - and I would think that the whole comfort thing would come into play a lot more with someone of above average weight.

About the cold... I agree that a tent is more reliable in the cold. Its just a simpler method and one that I go to in the winter. There are plenty of options to make winter hammocking a viable option, but not cheap. Keep in mind, though, that hammocks are typically cheaper than tents, and underquilt/topquilt combos can be cheaper than a winter bag and insulated pad.

Raul Perez
09-07-2011, 12:25
Scope... I debated this shelter thing and I came up with a few conclusions in my blog:

http://watermonkey.net/2011/09/01/is-a-hammock-a-shelter/

If you base the definition of a shelter as "something that provides cover or protection" then the bug net fits within the description of a shelter.

scope
09-07-2011, 12:34
If you base the definition of a shelter as "something that provides cover or protection" then the bug net fits within the description of a shelter.

Well, yeah, if you define it like that. I don't know that I would go along with your definitions. I mean, is an open hammock a "shelter" because it protects you from bugs on the ground (or groundwater)? Not my definition of shelter.

hikingshoes
09-07-2011, 12:37
I have both and like both. I use my tent for winter camping and my Hammock for summer camping. When my lady comes with me(which is most of the time)we use the tent,there is something about snuggling up to my lady on a COLD night but we have used our hammaocks too.FYI: if you have a bad back(which I do) the hammmock helps alot,but my back gets crazy sometime like sleeping on the ground help's vs hanging from a hammock.It's all about the back which ever fits the need at the time.HYOH..HS

Raul Perez
09-07-2011, 12:41
Well, yeah, if you define it like that. I don't know that I would go along with your definitions. I mean, is an open hammock a "shelter" because it protects you from bugs on the ground (or groundwater)? Not my definition of shelter.

Scope... no that's the actual dictionary definition. Your other comment about an open style hammock I also discussed in my blog.

jlb2012
09-07-2011, 13:15
hammocking is by itself not a problem - the problem is the evangelicals that are preaching the new hammocking religion and trying the convert people over to their new religion - as for myself - I hammock but I will defend the right of anyone to sleep where they wish provided they don't whine about it or try to slander other peoples methods or are just in general too remarkable for words

LisaJ5227
09-07-2011, 15:17
Please save the us and them BS for politics.

dla
09-07-2011, 18:33
....... and underquilt/topquilt combos can be cheaper than a winter bag and insulated pad.

top & bottom quilt is way more expensive than a bag and pad.

Raul Perez
09-07-2011, 18:39
top & bottom quilt is way more expensive than a bag and pad.

To actually quantify that statement.... $50.00 more

Raul Perez
09-07-2011, 18:40
To further that.... if you are looking into comparing UL tent set ups to UL hammock set ups.

russb
09-07-2011, 18:47
Or just use the same bag and pad for your winter hammock setup. Hammocks do not require different sleeping bags/quilts/pads. Some of us were using hammocks in sub-zero temps well before the underquilt concept was commonplace. Some of us still do use sleeping bags and pads in the winter with our hammocks.

bloodmountainman
09-07-2011, 20:19
I gave it a try and never ever got a comfortable night's sleep. Turned over on my side once a went right through the bug screen and onto the ground sometime around dawn. Pulled my bag out a got a few hours good sleep on the ground. They are not comfortable, expensive, and a real bitch to set up.

russb
09-08-2011, 05:40
A problem with using dictionary definitions as the basis for an argument is they (the definitions) are not designed to be exclusive but to provide synonyms to be used in context for understanding the meaning of a word. One definition of shelter is meant to describe the temporary housing for a homeless person. In the context of backpacking this definition isn't that far off. The first definition of "something that provides cover or protection" is very often qualified with "as in the weather". But regardless, it is folly to use use the definition loosely in an attempt to fit something into the definition. When discussing your shelter in the context of backpacking, would we include your socks, bear bag, knife and cookpot? I would argue that the term shelter is meant to create a category that serves a specific purpose in backpacking and just because other items in the pack can be made to fit a dictionary definition, they do not fit the understood category of a backpacking shelter. as I said earlier, the dictionary definitions are not designed to be exclusive. Yes a shelter provides cover or protection (as from the weather). The following two statements are NOT logically equivalent, 1) If it is your shelter, then it provides cover or protection. 2) If it provides cover or protection , then it is your shelter. For example, your socks cover and protect your feet from the cold. This fitting of the definition does not make them your shelter. Your bear bag covers and protects your food, it is not your shelter. Dictionary definitions are conditional to the word being defined, not the other way around.

Raul Perez
09-08-2011, 07:26
Russ I was very explicit in my blog post as to the definition and I challenged that definition in a few scenerios as not to "fit" that definition to solidify any argument I was making.Did you even read it?

Doc Mike
09-08-2011, 08:03
I just did a section hike of the AT (northern VA) and in my informal survey of thru hikers (sobo) I was suprised to find that about half were using a hammock and of those all but one was using the hennessey hyperlight.

russb
09-08-2011, 09:47
Watermonkey, I always read your blog buddy. :-) I was just throwing another log on to the debate fire for discussion. It would be much more fun to talk around a real campfire though. Maybe even with a few brews. ;-)

Raul Perez
09-08-2011, 10:01
Watermonkey, I always read your blog buddy. :-) I was just throwing another log on to the debate fire for discussion. It would be much more fun to talk around a real campfire though. Maybe even with a few brews. ;-)

True dat playa! I'm hoping to make it to the Jan NJ winter hang for a couple of days. Good to see other set ups and to test out my new winter gear in some nice and cold temps. Holla at yo boy!

atmilkman
09-08-2011, 10:09
"Oh, a storm is threat'ning my very life today, If I don't get some shelter, Oh yeah i"m gonna fade away." -Mick Jagger

dla
09-08-2011, 11:30
$275 for a 3 Season top quilt and $240 for a 3 Season full-length under quilt. $515 for head to toe sleeping insulation. Not sure what sort of pad you are talking about or what sort of bag, but at some point you've got to admit that hammock solutions are much more expensive than tenting. I can give myself a $120 Campmor down bag, a $35 Z-lite and 1/2 a $10 blue pad for a tent/tarp solution. $515 for ultimate sleeping comfort or $165 for an adequate system on the ground. I use both.

Raul Perez
09-08-2011, 11:45
This whole weight thing was bugging me and since I'm riding out Irene tonight I did some research and posted on my Blog www.watermonkey.net (http://www.watermonkey.net)

Here is my study:

First off... using just a tarp is right now the lightest option out there period. Undisputed. I get it and I have ZERO problem with that.
In this gangsta rap of a blog I’m going to see if these non-hammockers are right. Does a hammock weigh significantly more than the current basic ultralight tent option? Well since my 3 season base weight is at the 8.5lbs mark the answer is probably not. BUT I hate it when someone just makes a comment and doesnt back it up with thuggish facts. So let the Water Monkey spit some hot fire and lets be surprised together (since I’ve never done this much research in the subject before):
In this comparison lets look at the shelter in 4 areas for 3 season - Structure, Weather Protection, Bottom Insulation, and Top Insulation. All figures will be taken from the manufacturer’s website and the assumption will be an average 5’10” individual weighing 180lbs.
Tenting Option (Basic):
Structure/Weather Protection - Tarptent Contrail - 24.5oz ($199)
Bottom Insulation - Neo Air Medium - 13oz ($140)
Top Insulation - Montbell Down Spiral Hugger 30*F - 21oz ($285)
Total Weight (cost) = 58.5oz or 3.67 lbs ($628)
Hammock Option (Basic with some knowledgable UL changes):
Structure - Warbonnet Traveler 1.7 Single Layer ( 12.5oz) with dynaglide whoopies & Tree straps (3.5oz) = $93.00
Pappa Smurf Bug sock = $60 (2oz)
Weather Protection - Warbonnet Edge Tarp silnylon (11.5oz) with guylines = $100
Top Insulation - Warbonnet 3 Season Mamba (19oz) = $250
Bottom Insulation = Warbonnet Yeti (12.5oz) $189 & Gossamer Gear Thinlight Cut down pad (1.5oz) $30 = $219
Total Weight (cost) = 62.2oz or 3.89 lbs ($722)
So what’s the difference....
3.7oz or .23 lbs Favor Tent in weight. Less than a quarter of a pound.
$94 difference in favor of the tent.
So there you have it... This is where it becomes subjective. Is 1/4 of a pound a big difference to you? I’m not sure, I’m not you. But that’s fairly comparable if you ask me.
Now the reason that I threw in the prices also was because I know hammocking does cost a little more than tenting. And based on the basic version with some UL suspension swap outs you are looking at $100 more. This could be the deal breaker for many people so the Water Monkey wants to keep it real for ya.
You can go lighter on both sides by tossing in cuben fiber to the equation for the tent. You can also do the same for the hammock and even choose a smaller/lighter hammock (GT Nano Hammock). You can play the what if’s till you are blue in the face. I chose what I chose because it was easy to research and many who are on the quest for UL backpacking on both sides are familiar with those products and manufacturers.

As stated on page 5 of this thread.

Don Newcomb
09-08-2011, 13:48
I was just curious as to reasons why people may not like them. The most important reason is back problems. Some people can not sleep in the position that a hammock demands.
Another problem is that in some places you may not be able to find trees of the appropriate size and spacing. This is a concern in the West and in some parks that require that you camp in a designated spot.

Raul Perez
09-08-2011, 13:55
The most important reason is back problems. Some people can not sleep in the position that a hammock demands.
Another problem is that in some places you may not be able to find trees of the appropriate size and spacing. This is a concern in the West and in some parks that require that you camp in a designated spot.

Is this position like in a banana position? Or is this also considering laying diagonally to get a flatter lay?

I can understand stomach sleepers having an issue. But many side sleepers and back sleepers are fine with the hammock transition. Not to mention I've read a lot of people with back problems transitioning over to hammocks with rave reviews.

Don Newcomb
09-08-2011, 15:02
Is this position like in a banana position? Or is this also considering laying diagonally to get a flatter lay?
I personally think the hammock is the most comfortable way to sleep, particularly in hot weather. I'm just repeating what I've been told by some people who told me that, because of back problems, they could never find a way to get comfortable in a hammock.

dla
09-08-2011, 17:18
My point is simple: A nice tent/tarp insulation solution is $165 and a nice hammock insulation solution is $515. I own both. Use both. Hammock is NOT cheaper - not even close.

As others have said, (and I will reiterate), a hammock is primarily a sleep comfort solution.

Raul Perez
09-08-2011, 17:41
My point is that your prices are comparing apples to oranges. The prices are actually closer than your examples. One could easily use a campmor sleeping bag and use a gossamer gear 1/4 inch wide thinlight pad in between a double layer hammock for the same price you are comparing and be comfortable down to 40*F if weight isn't an issue and price is. My friend does this. On our outing this november I'll video his set up.BUT as I stated in my analysis it is more expensive to hammock than to tent. Just not as extreme as your examples

Hoofit
09-08-2011, 18:23
Never mind the 'banana 'thing.
Try watching the sun rise from your hammock
Too many trees in the way!!!
Ah! Love my tent....

Hoofit
09-08-2011, 18:31
You might as well sleep NAKED in a hammock 'cos you're gonna be 'BEARASS" anyway!
(Just here for the chuckles....)

dla
09-08-2011, 18:38
No you can't use a Gossamer Gear thin-light and a Campmor bag in a hammock and come anywhere near the low temp you can do on the ground. Again - not even close.

The $165 insulation solution I mentioned will take you nicely down into the 20's. That GG pad poops out at around 40*F. Again I know because I own a GG pad and have tried it - it's a pretty sucky pad for the $.

Raul Perez
09-08-2011, 19:29
No you can't use a Gossamer Gear thin-light and a Campmor bag in a hammock and come anywhere near the low temp you can do on the ground. Again - not even close.

The $165 insulation solution I mentioned will take you nicely down into the 20's. That GG pad poops out at around 40*F. Again I know because I own a GG pad and have tried it - it's a pretty sucky pad for the $.

Exactly why I stated the 40*F rating in my post. You can easily use a Walmart Blue pad as well which is thicker and probably gets you lower in temps.

I have the GG pad as well and as stated before so does my friend. He got his down to 27*F and was fine. Being a warm, neutral, and cold sleeper also has to be taken into consideration. There are also synthetic underquilts out there for half the price of a down UQ which can achieve a 30*F rating (example Lost River 2/3 under quilt at Arrowhead Equipment $125.00). It also depends on what time of the year you want to hike and your location's temperate zone.

Also your assumption you need a full length UQ for those temps is not entirely true. Most noobs to hammocking prefer the full length. But as you progress in your understanding of hammocks and insulation you realize you can cut weight and bulk and maintain the same amount of comfort with partial under quilts. The full length under quilts ARE the most expensive.

Bigbaby
09-08-2011, 22:55
The comfort is great, and its just cool. lol

kayak karl
09-09-2011, 00:16
'banana 'thing.
Try watching the sun rise from your hammock
too many trees in the way!!!
Ah! Love my tent....

what banana thing????
And how high do you think we hang???:)

gram cracker
09-09-2011, 08:48
I think the reason many don't like hammocks most of us started with tents. If we had started with hammocks, we'd probably not like tents.

Don Newcomb
09-09-2011, 18:56
No you can't use a Gossamer Gear thin-light and a Campmor bag in a hammock and come anywhere near the low temp you can do on the ground. Again - not even close. Here's where my experience is a little different. I was born and raised in Florida. Summer tent camping in Florida was an exercise in misery. When I was growing up, what everyone wanted was a genuine WWII jungle hammock (I still have one). In a jungle hammock you could be cool and comfortable in the rain with the temperature hovering in the low 90s. But we were mostly canoe, car or boat camping. The real jungle hammock was too heavy for backpacking. Backpacking equipment was made by folks from Colorado and Oregon who didn't understand camping in the 90s (both heat and humidity). You could find a few 2nd class cheap jungle hammock knock-offs but nothing made for backpacking. Then Hennessey changed everything. It was a complete rethink. I got one as soon as I could. Now I use the hammock whenever it is a reasonable option. Clearly there are times and places when it isn't reasonable. Sometimes finding trees is an issue. Sometimes you plan some nights in shelters where you need the weight of a good thick pad. Sometimes your hiking partnershave decided to bring a big tent. And I've never really mastered staying warm in a hammock in very cold weather. But as far as my preference it's always for a hammock, when it will work.

kayak karl
09-09-2011, 20:03
I think the reason many don't like hammocks most of us started with tents. If we had started with hammocks, we'd probably not like tents.
your right, look how long it took some of us to give up our exterior frame packs.

Yukon
09-09-2011, 22:34
This post sent from my Warbonnet Blackbird hammock. It's so comfortable I can barely finish thizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rain Man
09-11-2011, 13:54
Spent last night in a shelter on the Montgomery Bell Trail at Montgomery Bell State Park here in Tennessee. Even with a thick, self-inflating inflatable, it reminded me of how my hammock is more comfortable.

Bearpaw
09-11-2011, 15:33
The most important reason is back problems. Some people can not sleep in the position that a hammock demands.

I personally think the hammock is the most comfortable way to sleep, particularly in hot weather. I'm just repeating what I've been told by some people who told me that, because of back problems, they could never find a way to get comfortable in a hammock.

My wife, who injured several disks in her back in a car wreck about 8 years ago, "couldn't sleep in a hammock because of her back. Until she tried a nap in my hammock I brought on a day hike. Now she only tents if we are car camping and she has a cot and thick pad. The rest of the time she hammocks.

If you are sleeping on a diagonal, you sleep relatively flat, not particularly in a "banana" shape. And there are basically no pressure points, a big part of why hammocks offer better sleep to some folks.

Folks should try different things. Experience will help them figure out what works for them better than internet hearsay.

SouthMark
09-11-2011, 19:00
Folks should try different things. Experience will help them figure out what works for them better than internet hearsay.

The smartest thing that has been said on this thread.

Ewker
09-11-2011, 19:38
The smartest thing that has been said on this thread.

close but go back and read what HOI said

kayak karl
09-11-2011, 20:37
RIGHT LOL. " slander other peoples methods" ????????????????? if somebody posts in hammock camping i would expect support. i know this is WB "the tenting site" :) i know HOI meant well, but his post was way off.

Ewker
09-11-2011, 20:45
RIGHT LOL. " slander other peoples methods" ????????????????? if somebody posts in hammock camping i would expect support. i know this is WB "the tenting site" :) i know HOI meant well, but his post was way off.

sorry his post wasn't off at all...dead on IMO :cool:

scope
09-11-2011, 21:25
Hmmm.... HOI's comments made me think about my own experience.... I was a tenter and resistent to the "truth".... but then an "evangelical" kept posting in tent threads with a special message that landed in my subconcious... which was "why would you want to sleep on the ground?".... of course, I had to hit rock bottom (80 degree summer night) before I finally began to listen to my own subconcious.... and I decided in that moment, at my lowest point, still awake and sweating, that I would TRY a hammock... and the rest is history.... and I was SAVED !!!

Works for some, not for others, I get that. I suppose I understand how some of hammocking's raving fans can get on some nerves, but think about this.... do you see camping hammocks at Sports Authority or whatever sporting goods store is in your area? NO! (with all due respect to ENO). The primary way anybody really knows about them as a CHOICE is through forums like WB. I think we could do without some of the bashing that goes on in order help people understand what the choices are.

SouthMark
09-11-2011, 21:39
You're right Ewker. I read HOI's post and totally agree. Both posts are right on point.

Hooch
09-11-2011, 21:47
hammocking is by itself not a problem - the problem is the evangelicals that are preaching the new hammocking religion and trying the convert people over to their new religion - as for myself - I hammock but I will defend the right of anyone to sleep where they wish provided they don't whine about it or try to slander other peoples methods or are just in general too remarkable for wordsAgreed 110%!

Folks should try different things. Experience will help them figure out what works for them better than internet hearsay.Also agreed 110%!

I bought a Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo not too long ago to revisit ground dwelling after a few years in hammocks. I was so uncomfortable that after tossing and turning for hours, I packed up at 0330 and started night hiking. Never again!

Bearpaw
09-11-2011, 23:07
Agreed 110%!

Also agreed 110%!

I bought a Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo not too long ago to revisit ground dwelling after a few years in hammocks. I was so uncomfortable that after tossing and turning for hours, I packed up at 0330 and started night hiking. Never again!

I offered to let you just borrow my Lunar Solo to try it. But I wasn't willing to sell it. There are still some places I enjoy hiking where it would be more practical than my hammocks. I sleep decently in it on a 1.5 inch thermarest pad (with decent site selection). But I don't think I could sleep more comfortably outdoors than in my hammock. Especially here in the southeast, it's my go-to system.

scope
09-12-2011, 11:24
...the problem is the evangelicals that are preaching the new hammocking religion and trying the convert people over to their new religion... ...I hammock but I will defend the right of anyone to sleep where they wish provided they don't whine about it or try to slander other peoples methods or are just in general too remarkable for words

sorry his post wasn't off at all...dead on IMO :cool:

You're right Ewker. I read HOI's post and totally agree. Both posts are right on point.

Agreed 110%!

Also agreed 110%!

I don't get why its on the mark. I don't get why anything here is slander. I think that's an extreme interpretation of what is otherwise just misunderstanding. And I don't see it as hangers being religious zealots, but rather calling out some of the tenters for making statements that are at the very least not completely true but all the while stated as fact. I don't have a problem with people stating what they think is fact, but when its not, they need to be called on it - and its not slander (either direction).

jlo
09-12-2011, 11:51
yes, SYOS.

unclemjm
09-12-2011, 12:02
I like beer.

I like coffee.

I like a good Tennessee sipping whiskey.

I like dark chocolate.

I like peeing on the ground and sleeping in the air as opposed to sleeping where people pee.

I like the view from my hammock on a cold night, cuddled up in a cloud of down, high and dry under my tarp or nice and cool on a warm night with the gentle breeze in my bug free bed.

Not a one of those likes were perfect on my first try, (except the peeing part). In fact they each were an acquired taste, (again, not the peeing part).

I'm glad there are lots of options. I appreciate the passion and deep thought many have put into their comments as opinions are shared. I guess that's the bottom line. We're talking opinoins and truth be told there can be plenty of arguments about the best coffee, beer, or whiskey too, and in the final analysis we're back to opinons.

Please don't try to confuse me with facts, my mind is made up, but I am enjoying the show so back to the sidelines for me for now.

scum
09-12-2011, 21:02
Even before I moved to hammocking, I hated tents. Stuffy, closed in, PITA to setup etc. I preferred to sleep under the stars whenever possible. Until I was visited by a family of skunks one night. So I looked into hammocks and now I sleep out in the open up in the air.

I don't see the argument that hammocking is heavier then traditional tent camping. My setup if very comparable. In the summer, I'm lighter than the tenter. In the winter, I'm slightly heavier. Now, of course there's the extremes where you can dump a ton of $ into super UL tents/gear, but the same can be said for hammock camping. Now, compared to tarp tenting, thats a different story. Can't beat it. Period. Unless you're looking for comfort too...

That brings me to cost, I've seen some people say cost is high (even hammock advocates) but I disagree. I'm maybe $100 into it and have a pretty sweet setup IMO. But I have made most of my gear and have slept comfortably down to the single digits. Which, IMO is another benifit to the hammock. It's so friggin easy to make your own hammock, UQ, TQ & tarp for cheap. Not so sure you can say it's easy to diy a descent tent.. could be wrong.

I think the problem is people keep trying to compare hammocks to traditional tents. Instead, think of the hammock as a comfortable version of tarp tenting (just suspend the tarp a little higher and sleep on a hammock instead of a ground cloth. People don't usually argue the tent vs tarptent setup because it's obvious what the pros/cons are. It's the same w/ the hammock. Of course if I was stuck in a blizzard for 7 days, I'd probabaly prefer to be in a tent (or cabin for that matter). Those type of conditions are outliers and besides the point. I wouldn't want to be caught in those conditions w/ a tarptent either. Wouldn't want to be caught in a tent for 7 days of starry warm nights either.

For Me, it's much more comfortable. With planning (as with any setup), I'm plenty warm. And with the diy bug, gear is cheap enough. I've been down to the single digits in the snow and been cozy warm (which you could do in a tent). I've fallen asleep in the heat by the riverside watching the moon reflect off the water and listening to the fish jump (which you could do cowboy camping or in a tarptent). And been rocked to sleep by high winds through the lodgepole pines while watching an amazing lightning storm dance around the lake without a drop on my or any of my gear (which you could do... oh wait). All while being comfortable.

I hear some people saying it's not comfortable to them. I suppose that's just the case. I've yet to show someone how to properly use a hammock and them say - 'no, this just isn't comfortable'. I imagine, at the least, it's probably like switching any bed style at home. It might take a night or two to get fully used to it. I do recall when first starting out, I had, at best, a so-so night sleep till I figured out the lay and pitch (which make a huge difference). So it's a shame to hear people say I tried it once and it wasn't for me.

SouthMark
09-12-2011, 21:23

Jay, that is why I am strongly considering taking my hammock on the JMT. Others have and I can always use it as a bivy on the ground if I have to or just tarp camp if there are no trees for a night or two.

Dale

dla
09-14-2011, 19:20
Even before I moved to hammocking, I hated tents. Stuffy, closed in, PITA to setup etc. I preferred to sleep under the stars whenever possible. Until I was visited by a family of skunks one night. So I looked into hammocks and now I sleep out in the open up in the air.

I don't see the argument that hammocking is heavier then traditional tent camping. My setup if very comparable. In the summer, I'm lighter than the tenter. In the winter, I'm slightly heavier. Now, of course there's the extremes where you can dump a ton of $ into super UL tents/gear, but the same can be said for hammock camping. Now, compared to tarp tenting, thats a different story. Can't beat it. Period. Unless you're looking for comfort too...

That brings me to cost, I've seen some people say cost is high (even hammock advocates) but I disagree. I'm maybe $100 into it and have a pretty sweet setup IMO. But I have made most of my gear and have slept comfortably down to the single digits. Which, IMO is another benifit to the hammock. It's so friggin easy to make your own hammock, UQ, TQ & tarp for cheap. Not so sure you can say it's easy to diy a descent tent.. could be wrong.

I think the problem is people keep trying to compare hammocks to traditional tents. Instead, think of the hammock as a comfortable version of tarp tenting (just suspend the tarp a little higher and sleep on a hammock instead of a ground cloth. People don't usually argue the tent vs tarptent setup because it's obvious what the pros/cons are. It's the same w/ the hammock. Of course if I was stuck in a blizzard for 7 days, I'd probabaly prefer to be in a tent (or cabin for that matter). Those type of conditions are outliers and besides the point. I wouldn't want to be caught in those conditions w/ a tarptent either. Wouldn't want to be caught in a tent for 7 days of starry warm nights either.

For Me, it's much more comfortable. With planning (as with any setup), I'm plenty warm. And with the diy bug, gear is cheap enough. I've been down to the single digits in the snow and been cozy warm (which you could do in a tent). I've fallen asleep in the heat by the riverside watching the moon reflect off the water and listening to the fish jump (which you could do cowboy camping or in a tarptent). And been rocked to sleep by high winds through the lodgepole pines while watching an amazing lightning storm dance around the lake without a drop on my or any of my gear (which you could do... oh wait). All while being comfortable.

I hear some people saying it's not comfortable to them. I suppose that's just the case. I've yet to show someone how to properly use a hammock and them say - 'no, this just isn't comfortable'. I imagine, at the least, it's probably like switching any bed style at home. It might take a night or two to get fully used to it. I do recall when first starting out, I had, at best, a so-so night sleep till I figured out the lay and pitch (which make a huge difference). So it's a shame to hear people say I tried it once and it wasn't for me.

I'd like to hear how you put together your single digit temp hammock setup for around $100.

mangus7175
09-14-2011, 20:29
Tent fortune cookie @ 1:28!

http://youtu.be/CARM1-ZQYb4

Hooch
09-14-2011, 21:13
Jay, that is why I am strongly considering taking my hammock on the JMT. Others have and I can always use it as a bivy on the ground if I have to or just tarp camp if there are no trees for a night or two.

DaleThat's my plan as it stands now. My planned setup:

Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
Whoopie Slings/Straps
MacCat Deluxe
Hammock Gear 3 season Burrow
Hammock Gear 3 season Crow's Nest
Gossamer Gear Night Light Sit/Foot Pad

:D

DCHiker
09-14-2011, 23:11
I started using a Hammock when hiking solo a couple years ago. Also used a sole tent and have always used some sort of tent before then. I can see the plus and minuses for both that have been mentioned here. It comes down to what works for you. Don't be afraid to try different things. I almost gave up on the hammock until I have hip labrum surgery last year. Thankfully, I'm backpacking again under a year later, and it's thanks to the hammock. I have a simple HH expedition, but since my surgery sleeping on the ground hurts too much. The hammock, FOR ME, is the way to go.

scum
09-16-2011, 13:54
I'd like to hear how you put together your single digit temp hammock setup for around $100.

Keep in mind, I'm cheap and like DIY gear.
$50 Hammock Bliss Double (currently making my own double that will be longer/lighter and costs ~$20)
$45 diy IX underquilt (3-layers IX with mil poncho liner as outer shell - mmm warm)
$10 Mil Poncho Liner (used as overquilt)
$11 Upgrade to Amsteel Woopie suspension
$10 DIY Tyvek Tarp ($10 is a guess but i remember it was dirt cheap)
$? Old Cheap 0* Wenzel Mummy bag used as Top Quilt. Order history on Amazon doesn't show how much I paid for it 3 yrs ago. I have to admit, I don't normally count the sleeping bag since it was an existing piece of equipment. I have debated making my own top quilt using the same material I used for the UQ. Would save weight and size.
-------
$126 + ? for mummy bag. Am I missing anything?

Prices are fairly accurate. I went through my paypal history to be sure. In full disclosure, I also will use a water bottle or a couple chemical hand warmers and dress appropriately (ie some nice wool socks and wristies my wife knit for me:) in the extreme temps. On one of my initial tests of the UQ, I was down to ~8*. I was chilled but OK. On another outing it got low teens and was toasty-warm. I think that I could redo the 8* and be fine now. The problem I had at 8* was improper fit on the UQ. I've improved the way it connects (using the 'triangle thingy' method - but better) and have 0 issues with air gaps robbing the heat.
--------
Recent upgrade
$45 diy Ogee style Silnylon Tarp (The Tyvek Tarp is still good and usable. Just too bulky and noisy in the wind) So this puts me in the $170 range.

-Aaron

T.S.Kobzol
09-16-2011, 15:35
What's true for Alabama can not be equaly true for Maine. After you figure out where you're going to be camping then prepare the right gear for the location.

scum
09-16-2011, 16:27
$10 Mil Poncho Liner (used as overquilt)

Can't figure out how to edit my post. Wanted to clarify the overquilt. I misspoke. It's actually called an overcover. I drape this over my ridgeline and tuck the sides in between my hammock and UQ. The liner is shorter than my hammock so the ends are open so I don't get condensation issues. It really makes a difference in holding the heat in and adding to the warmth. Makes it more like a floating cold weather bivy. Highly recommend this. I've heard of people doing this with a piece of DWR ripstop, or even insultex. I think arrowhead makes a full overcover (wraps around the whole hammock) that I think he calls the Bear Burrito Cover or something like that.

This is why, for me, my winter setup is a little heavier than a good ground dweller winter setup. I could go crazy expensive with down UQ/TQ and full Molly-Mac or Arrowhead style overcovers and get into the sub 0 ranges like Shug and still be real light. But I don't hike in those temps enough to make it worthwile for me and I'm confortable with the idea of simply having to pack heavier in the winter.

beakerman
09-16-2011, 17:22
i go both ways depending on what I'm planning on doing. If its cold...adn I mean cold..I tent. If I plan on being without trees i tent. That bing said i live in SE texas...there are plenty of treesa nd it only gets cold 2 months out of the year. During those two months I have to camp in designated sites anyway rather than where ever i want in the forest so I tent.

Indiana Jane
09-17-2011, 06:38
I am making a Bridge hammock now for my Winter gear. I just do not like sleeping on the ground started with parachute hanger, I sleep like a baby in them.

RamblinRob
09-23-2011, 12:48
Mad Libs time -

Fill in the blanks below with your least prefered shelter - be it bivy, hammock, tent, tarp, hostel, hotel or house.

"I slept in a ______ once, and I was cold and uncomfortable. Therefore, all ______s are wrong in all situations all the time."

Now just copy your finished opinion to the website and hit 'Post Reply' and watch the power of the Internet turn it into gospel truth.

:banana HOORAY INTERNET ARGUMENTS! HOORAY! :banana

phobos
09-27-2011, 08:30
Exactly why I stated the 40*F rating in my post. You can easily use a Walmart Blue pad as well which is thicker and probably gets you lower in temps.

I have the GG pad as well and as stated before so does my friend. He got his down to 27*F and was fine. Being a warm, neutral, and cold sleeper also has to be taken into consideration. There are also synthetic underquilts out there for half the price of a down UQ which can achieve a 30*F rating (example Lost River 2/3 under quilt at Arrowhead Equipment $125.00). It also depends on what time of the year you want to hike and your location's temperate zone.

Also your assumption you need a full length UQ for those temps is not entirely true. Most noobs to hammocking prefer the full length. But as you progress in your understanding of hammocks and insulation you realize you can cut weight and bulk and maintain the same amount of comfort with partial under quilts. The full length under quilts ARE the most expensive.

I use a 2/3 summer under quilt from leighlo.. about $125 with a small cut piece(20 x 18) of windshield sun shader ( that was lying around in my garage, so its free) that I put in my sleeping bag just for insulation with my feet. I also use a Marmot Hydrogen 30 Sleeping bag (used this back when I was a ground dweller). Ive had 0 problems using this in a hammock. You don't have to buy a topquilt. With this particular setup i've been comfortably down into the lower 40s / upper 30s at the house. I will get the real test this weekend when I finish the last leg of the AT in GA. Temps throughout the weekend are suppose to be in the lower 40s / upper 30s in North GA at night.

scope
09-27-2011, 09:06
I slept in a dungeon once, and I was cold and uncomfortable. Therefore, all dungeons are wrong in all situations all the time.

Theosus
09-28-2011, 17:33
I slept in a dungeon once, and I was cold and uncomfortable. Therefore, all dungeons are wrong in all situations all the time. You slept in a dungeon? How much was that? I can't believe she didn't kick you out after the whipping was over.I used a tent the last few times I camped. Bought a hennessy today and practiced putting it up and getting in. Love it so far. The instructions were great - except for the proper way to refold it and bag it. It came out this cute little packet, and went back in, in a carefully constructed form commonly known as a "wad"

russb
09-28-2011, 20:07
I use a 2/3 summer under quilt from leighlo.. about $125 with a small cut piece(20 x 18) of windshield sun shader ( that was lying around in my garage, so its free) that I put in my sleeping bag just for insulation with my feet. I also use a Marmot Hydrogen 30 Sleeping bag (used this back when I was a ground dweller). Ive had 0 problems using this in a hammock. You don't have to buy a topquilt. With this particular setup i've been comfortably down into the lower 40s / upper 30s at the house. I will get the real test this weekend when I finish the last leg of the AT in GA. Temps throughout the weekend are suppose to be in the lower 40s / upper 30s in North GA at night.

I have LeighLo's 2/3 summer UQ and it works great to just below 32F for me (with small foot pad).

phobos
09-29-2011, 11:46
I have LeighLo's 2/3 summer UQ and it works great to just below 32F for me (with small foot pad).

Thats good to know, because North GA is suppose to have its first real cool down this weekend on my section hike thru tray mtn to deep gap, nc and I was a little concerned. Temps were suppose to range from 30 f to 35 f. I was considering bringing a small CCF pad just in case ;p

scope
09-29-2011, 14:26
You slept in a dungeon? How much was that? I can't believe she didn't kick you out after the whipping was over...

...The instructions were great - except for the proper way to refold it and bag it. It came out this cute little packet, and went back in, in a carefully constructed form commonly known as a "wad"

Hey, you get what you pay for, right? :cool:

Who refolds anymore, don't we all stuff !?!?! Tenters maybe cause their kinda weird like that! :p

russb
09-29-2011, 17:54
Thats good to know, because North GA is suppose to have its first real cool down this weekend on my section hike thru tray mtn to deep gap, nc and I was a little concerned. Temps were suppose to range from 30 f to 35 f. I was considering bringing a small CCF pad just in case ;p

Just remember, everyone has different temp limits. You may be able to use it at a lower temp than I, or maybe not as low. Don't purposely test the limits without a backup.

Cannibal
10-08-2011, 14:36
10 pages of garbage with two legitimate points. :rolleyes:

1. Women can't pee in a hammock as well as on the ground or in a tent
and
2. Hammock setups are more expensive when all is said and done.

Otherwise, I can't see any disadvantages; at home or in the wilds.

tiptoe
10-09-2011, 10:34
Sigh. If I wasn't homebound with a broken ankle I wouldn't have waded through much of this post. I think the disadvantages of hammocking, which WAS the original question, were well covered in the first 10-15 responses. And just for the record, should anyone care, I am a very happy hammocker but not an evangelical hammocker.

smokeeater908
10-12-2011, 13:23
I love my hammock, but as the old saying goes "to each his own".

lush242000
10-12-2011, 15:40

Because I am not a pirate.

QiWiz
10-12-2011, 16:06

I tried and liked my Hennesy UL Backpacker, but in the end sold it off and went back to tarp camping (Gatewood Cape, 11 oz) because my tarp setup was much lighter, especially in cold weather (when I would need an underquilt). I have a comfortable sleep either way, especially with the newer pads like the NeoAir or Peak AC. Have not used a tent other than a two-person Henry Shires Squall II (2 pounds) in many years.

msupple
12-09-2011, 11:42
Well...that was a very fun read! I'd just like to make one small observation. It seems that most comments made by the tenters were based on very limited experience with hammocking. On the other hand most hammockers were once tenters who have much more experience with both. Who would be more qualified to make an educated critic of both? I found many comments coming from the tenter side to be of the "knee jerk reaction" type, such as "they're a bitch to put up" variety.

I'm pretty much with Cannibal on this one.

scope
12-09-2011, 12:14
Knee jerk reactions, really?!? Welcome to WB !!!

Not that there's anything wrong with that, just makes for some interesting reading sometimes.

As for Cannibal's comments, I don't get the comment on women peeing, or else it should be focused on what guys can do not what women can't. Expense is relative and it certainly can add up - it doesn't have to be more expensive than a tent setup. My setup for comparison...

HH & other tarp - $280 (tent)
UQ & TQ - $360 (sleeping bag and pad)

Could easily spend as much or more on a tent setup, but could easily spend less for a similar 3-season setup. These are new prices, I actually only spent about $365 total (all used or discounted).

bamboo bob
12-09-2011, 14:52
I like the idea of a hammock a lot. But if you are 6'3" and weigh in at 250. It seems it mainly for kind of shorter wirey people. I cannot sleep on my back though so I guess that's a problem too.

Noah Genda
12-09-2011, 15:12
I'm 6'2", 245 lbs, and I bought JrB Bridge Hammock...got everything...while I do sleep horizontally for the most part (at first), as the night wore on, I eventually slid down in the pocket after some stretching. The biggest reason why I am sticking with tents now is that I suffered a lot of shoulder squeeze...if you're relatively skinny, you might not have a problem with JrB, but I got cramped with shoulder squeeze. Tried using it about 6 or 7 outings, finally realized it just wasn't for me. It's handy to have if only one night out...if you anticipate grounds will be sloped...but it was also cold when I used it - so the wind was gettin' in n me a bit (I have the giant tarp to go with it). I like to read in my tent at night, and it was difficult to position myself in a hammock to read. I tried hammock hiking, but it's not for me. Contact me if you're interested in buying my bridge hammock gear. I tote a single nest ENO hammock to chillax after a days hike, but I will sleep on the ground for now on!

msupple
12-09-2011, 18:56
I like the idea of a hammock a lot. But if you are 6'3" and weigh in at 250. It seems it mainly for kind of shorter wirey people. I cannot sleep on my back though so I guess that's a problem too.

That is one of the things that defies explanation. (at least for me) I too have problems sleeping on my back when in a bed, thermarest etc. I have found, as have many other hammockers, that we can sleep very comfortably all night on our back. I personally think it's because the pressure is distributed equally throughout your entire body, not unlike memory foam. I initially thought sleepng in a hammock with a curve would be horrible for my back but have discovered it's just the opposite. In fact I know several people on Hammock Forums who have switched from a conventional bed to hammocks in their homes.

I am not anti tent by any means. The main reason I switched was for comfort and the ability hang just about anywhere. The only place I've been stumped after several years of hanging is at Joshua Tree in CA because there were no trees. I easily set it up on the ground using two hiking poles. Try it....you just might surprise yourself.

Kookork
12-09-2011, 19:40
That is one of the things that defies explanation. (at least for me) I too have problems sleeping on my back when in a bed, thermarest etc. I have found, as have many other hammockers, that we can sleep very comfortably all night on our back. I personally think it's because the pressure is distributed equally throughout your entire body, not unlike memory foam. I initially thought sleepng in a hammock with a curve would be horrible for my back but have discovered it's just the opposite. In fact I know several people on Hammock Forums who have switched from a conventional bed to hammocks in their homes.

I am not anti tent by any means. The main reason I switched was for comfort and the ability hang just about anywhere. The only place I've been stumped after several years of hanging is at Joshua Tree in CA because there were no trees. I easily set it up on the ground using two hiking poles. Try it....you just might surprise yourself.

do you have Any photo of setting up on the ground using trekking poles? I am really intrigued.

Wise Old Owl
12-09-2011, 20:26
[list]

so sayeth the shepherd, so sayeth the flock!

13698bbbbbbaaaaaaa!!!!!!

Wise Old Owl
12-09-2011, 21:18

14572The Basement Hang - in front of the flat screen sports and beer and peanuts. Ya got to use your imagination.

Wise Old Owl
12-09-2011, 21:30
10 pages of garbage with two legitimate points. :rolleyes:

1. Women can't pee in a hammock as well as on the ground or in a tent
and
2. Hammock setups are more expensive when all is said and done.

Otherwise, I can't see any disadvantages; at home or in the wilds.

Folks we have a winner! - OH

Peeing in a bottle only takes a little practice.... really!

msupple
12-10-2011, 00:12

Here you go. This happens to be a Switchback. It's REAL simple.

ChinMusic
12-10-2011, 01:13

Here you go. This happens to be a Switchback. It's REAL simple.

Hey, that looks comfortable................

msupple
12-10-2011, 11:42
Yeah...you rteally have two systems when hammocking.....a tarditional ahmmock and a ground tarp/bivy. It's another reason I like hammocking. 99% of the time I'm hanging 1% or less, I'm on the ground. It's a nice backup.

I can see the argument about preferring a tent if you were stuck for a week in a snowstorm but having said that, there are tarps that totally enclose the hammock, not unlike a tent. Let's face it though, that's an extreme example for most folks. I've been down to single digits in an overnight snow in the Adirondacks and have been very comfortable. We currently have a Dacks trip planned for January with everyone in hammocks.

We've had about six converts to hammocking within my little circle of friends within the last couple of years. I see little problems with them except for extreme cases.

msupple
12-10-2011, 11:45
Wow...just reread that...guess spelling is not my strong point ( two finger speed typing really). Is there no way to ammend a post after hitting the enter button?

Yeah...you rteally have two systems when hammocking.....a tarditional ahmmock and a ground tarp/bivy. It's another reason I like hammocking. 99% of the time I'm hanging 1% or less, I'm on the ground. It's a nice backup.

I can see the argument about preferring a tent if you were stuck for a week in a snowstorm but having said that, there are tarps that totally enclose the hammock, not unlike a tent. Let's face it though, that's an extreme example for most folks. I've been down to single digits in an overnight snow in the Adirondacks and have been very comfortable. We currently have a Dacks trip planned for January with everyone in hammocks.

We've had about six converts to hammocking within my little circle of friends within the last couple of years. I see little problems with them except for extreme cases.

Echraide
12-11-2011, 12:07
I tried a Hennessy Asym but no matter what I did I could not get warm enough. I sleep too cold to use a hammock even in summer.

Bearpaw
12-11-2011, 17:44
I tried a Hennessy Asym but no matter what I did I could not get warm enough. I sleep too cold to use a hammock even in summer.

Were you using an underquilt, or at the very least, a pad?

Echraide
12-12-2011, 16:49
I tried several different combinations: pad, underquilt, peapod, I even sewed a couple of my own. It's difficult to underestimate how cold I sleep, when I say cold I mean cold. I love the idea of hammocks and think they're one of the better developments that have emerged from UL hiking, they just don't work for me.

Wise Old Owl
12-12-2011, 17:22
its not difficult at all - there are several china made cheap indoor & outdoor digital thermometers that have a memory. They are available at lowes, Home Depot and Walmart. - Walmart is in the garden dept or just inside the building (ask) Set up the unit put in the batteries for the seperate transmitter and walk away for half an hour. The units should match.... now reset the high and low. sleep with the transmitter and have the reciever outside of the tent. Reverse in your head Indoor and Outdoor and the next morning the unit will display the temp differences from Hi and Low and you can calculate the losses.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=sceintific+hi+low+indoor+outdoor+temp&FORM=BIFD#x0y0

Echraide
12-12-2011, 20:20
Is that for me, Wise Old Owl? I meant it's difficult for me to communicate to others how cold I sleep; I didn't mean it's difficult to calculate indoor and outdoor temperature differences. I can tolerate almost any temperature as long as I keep moving but once I stop it's a whole other story.

WILLIAM HAYES
12-12-2011, 21:19
less hassle in a tent staying warm more hassle in a tent finding a flat spot lless hassle finding two trees to hang a hammock more comfortable sleeping in a hammock for me i use a hammock whenever I can best sleep I have ever had on the trail
hillbilly