PDA

View Full Version : Two Sleeping Bags?

shattercat
08-23-2011, 13:27
Im starting the thru-hike on June 1st '12 in Maine and i know ill hit both extremes of hot and cold while on the trail. Buddy at REI said ill need two bags, one at 40* and one at 15*, i guess start with the 40* until i need the 15* sometime in October or so? I was considering a 15* and a silk liner for the whole trip, mixing and matching those two for hot and cold nights. Any suggestions? I just cant imagine spending about $600 for two bags.

I think im average when it comes to being a warm or cold sleeper, right in the middle.

Any favorite brands or models that you would highly suggest?

Chubbs4U
08-23-2011, 14:38
Not sure why you have to spend 600 for 2 bags.

4eyedbuzzard
08-23-2011, 14:39
I'd spend the biggest money for the bag you are going to get the most use out of both after and during the thru-hike, which is likely the 35 - 40 F bag. Something like like a Western Mountaineering, Montbell, Feathered Friends, Marmot, etc, or similar quality, especially if after your thru most of your hiking will be in warmer temps (you live in Atlanta, right?). By the time you need the 15 or 20 on a SOBO, the slight extra weight of a more affordable warmer bag won't stress out your thru-hiker legs anyway for the last month or so. I'd look for good used stuff if on a budget. Check here and ebay and also look for sales this fall and winter especially on premium name closeouts.

scope
08-23-2011, 14:54
A heavier duty quilt is a lot more versatile, and can be supplemented with a JRB fleece quilt liner. Sure, you can always unzip your bag to use as a quilt, but then you've got a lot more stuff you've paid for that's not insulating you. Also, its a PITA to have to get up to zip yourself up when it gets cold instead of just tucking the quilt under you. IMO, this option is not only cheaper, but better than having two bags functionally.

bigcranky
08-23-2011, 15:29
I find a 15-F bag far too warm when the nights are above freezing, or maybe 40. Even draped over me as a quilt. If it were me I would buy a good 30-F bag (which as noted above will provide a lot of use after your hike), then, as you hike further south, if you find you need a warm winter bag, you can buy one on the trail. We do have some fine outfitters here in the South.

There are many reasons why you might not need the 15-F bag: you could finish by Oct 30, which is only a 5-month thru-hike. You could break a leg in Vermont. In any case, I would hold off buying the winter bag until I needed it.

q-tip
08-24-2011, 12:23
I sleep cold and used a 15 WM bag for the fall---and a WM 32 bag during the summer. I saved 2 lbs using the light bag so it was worth it... IMO--getting a good nights rest is critical for me to enjoy the trail.. also, I really looked forward to crawling int that cold bag every night.

moldy
08-25-2011, 09:49
From April to November I use a 40 degree bag with a back up zip up fleece from Wal-mart. If I encounter temps in the 20's I head for town. If that is not possible I sleep with my down jacket and If I get to a shelter I wrap my tent around me. You should know that most thru-hikers do exactly what was suggested by the store clerk and purchase 2 sleeping bags. Conventional wisdom is that when you make it through the Whites on your SOBO hike you mail all your heavy gear home and use the lighter stuff until you get to the Smokies then swap back.

ScottP
08-26-2011, 11:57
+1 for quilts

also consider a 30 degree and adding a down vest in the colder weather

DapperD
08-26-2011, 23:53
Im starting the thru-hike on June 1st '12 in Maine and i know ill hit both extremes of hot and cold while on the trail. Buddy at REI said ill need two bags, one at 40* and one at 15*, i guess start with the 40* until i need the 15* sometime in October or so? I was considering a 15* and a silk liner for the whole trip, mixing and matching those two for hot and cold nights. Any suggestions? I just cant imagine spending about $600 for two bags.

I think im average when it comes to being a warm or cold sleeper, right in the middle.

Any favorite brands or models that you would highly suggest?At the start of the hike you may be able to get away with the 40 degree bag for a while, and you can probably pick one up fairly cheaply if you get it synthetic instead of down. I don't know about it being too safe to use at the higher elevations though. Once into the hike and the cold sets in, you are going to want a decent bag. A 15 degree quality brand name down bag will cost if bought new, but will be worth it to keep you warm. I have read on here that some have reported good performance from buying and using Campmor brand down bags, which are not too expensive compared to other higher end brands:http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40067