PDA

View Full Version : Getting started hanging

pyroman53
08-23-2011, 15:02
I know I'm being lazy here since I could probably read about this in back threads on this forum, but a recent thread got me thinking about possibly hanging. To get me started in my exploring the subject, what set-up would I need to get me down to 25 degrees at night? I would want my set-up to be as light as possible. I'm a thin 180 lbs. I'd like to know the whole list...hammock, tarp, snakeskins?, tree attachments? I've listened to this discussion as a disinterested bystander for years, but now I'd like to learn more.

1azarus
08-23-2011, 15:30
my my. light as can be means a simple gathered end hammock without a built in bug net. look at a Grand Trunk single or Nano. I like the nano, but it may be an issue if you are taller than 5'-10" since it is pretty short. also means no snakeskins. Roll your tarp separately from your hammock so you can set it up first in the rain... and just roll up your hammock from one end while the tree holds up the other end for you. whoopie sling.com makes all the suspension system you'll need -- and if you call and ask how to do it when you order, you can skip carabiners and use marlin spikes. a three-quarter length underquilt will do fine to that temperature -- warbonnett. a spincloth or cuben tarp is the "light as possible" ticket... and you can just keep on using your sleeping bag. Many many variations, but this works for me... go to hammock forums...

rhjanes
08-23-2011, 17:03
Yeah, join us on hammock forums "dot" net. I just bought a slightly used Warbonnet Black Bird (WBBB), tarp, under quilt. Just getting started. Took me about three visits watching the "how to" video's on set up. then it took about 10 minutes first time. then I got Dutch Clips and put up the hammock in about 1 minute last weekend. I just ordered snake skins (two different ones, one for the hammock and one for the tarp). Anyway, all your questions have and will be answered as you join us "on the dark side" (at hammock forums).

Hooch
08-23-2011, 17:04
Agreed, best place for an answer to your question is at Hammock Forums (http://www.hammockforums.net). Just sayin'. :D