PDA

View Full Version : Hurricaine Irene

tenlots
08-23-2011, 22:08
Hi looking what hikers are planning if they are on the trail in New Hampshire this weekend? Was planning to hike thru it.....Thanks

4eyedbuzzard
08-23-2011, 22:49
Hmmm. Well, if it speeds up and gets here by Sunday, let's see . . . Hurricane . . . 75+mph winds . . . drenching rain . . . exposed ridges . . . slippery rocks . . . yeah, I'll be home.

DLANOIE
08-23-2011, 23:08
I was planning on hiking Katahdin on Sunday. Well, I like hiking as much as the next guy. But serious climbs like Katahdin are not to be taken lightly during severe weather. Be it hurricane force wind or turential rain or what have you. I am going to still drive up there and play it by ear. Tonight I was lucky enough to make a reservation for Labor Day weekend. Only one of two left for parking the whole weekend. So if it doesnt work out this Sunday Im only out five bucks and some gas money and the following weekend will hopefully be better.

Snowleopard
08-24-2011, 10:37
Boston TV forecast as of 8:00am Wed, Aug. 22 shows:
5" to 10" rain. From the maps they show, that amount could fall on the AT from NJ through Eastern Maine. There's still a large uncertainty in the forecast. They aren't really giving estimates of what the wind will be inland. I'd say be prepared to leave the woods on Saturday if the forecast looks bad.

Don't underestimate the danger of heavy rain causing flooding. 40 or 50 campers drowned in East Stroudsburg, PA, near the Delaware Water Gap, from the flooding caused by Hurricane Diane in 1955; it was worse in Conn. and Mass.

long island bob
08-24-2011, 18:26
I was planning on hiking Katahdin on Sunday. Well, I like hiking as much as the next guy. But serious climbs like Katahdin are not to be taken lightly during severe weather. Be it hurricane force wind or turential rain or what have you. I am going to still drive up there and play it by ear. Tonight I was lucky enough to make a reservation for Labor Day weekend. Only one of two left for parking the whole weekend. So if it doesnt work out this Sunday Im only out five bucks and some gas money and the following weekend will hopefully be better.

Latest update has passing a little further east than previously expected. Old projection was that the eye would be very very close to the AT in NH and practically follow the trail the whole way with winds of 85-100 mph.

New projection is that it will travel further east the AT in NH would be at the very edge but the winds will be slower.

Oh, if it follows the exact centerline what's left of the eye should cross directly over Katahdin with 65-plus mph winds at about 11 o'clock Monday.

The "cone of uncertainty" is still so wide almost anything is possible.

4eyedbuzzard
08-24-2011, 18:50
It looks like they are already anticipating declaring Sunday a class 4 day and "restricting" access to backcountry and high elevations (they'll shut 'er down).
http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/hiking/hiking.php

DLANOIE
08-24-2011, 18:54
Its all good. Made a reservation for 9-3. One day before my birthday. I will be there rain or snow or shine!:)

4eyedbuzzard
08-24-2011, 18:58
Its all good. Made a reservation for 9-3. One day before my birthday. I will be there rain or snow or shine!:)
Please! Not yet!

Slo-go'en
08-25-2011, 09:15
Oh boy, they show the likely path straight up the middle of NH! It's going to be wild and willy around here Sat/Sun. Anyone on the trail from Maine to NJ better find some good shelter! Nothing like this has come our way in a long, long time. It would be fun to ride out the storm at Crag Camp or Gray Knob to see how nasty it can get up there near tree line. Or maybe not, it could be wild enough down here in the valley!

I was up on Madison yesterday afternoon and the wind was strong enough to knock me around some, and that was just from a front which was still out over western NY! But what was even more remarkable was the cow moose sitting in patch of alpine tundra, munching way about 100 feet from the hut. I hope that's not a bad sign...