PDA

View Full Version : Should I follow through with my Baxter/Acadia St Park plans In lieu of the Hurricane?

Magazine
08-24-2011, 10:13
Hi All,
I am planning a weeklong trip (8/26-9/6) through Baxter St Park (travelers trail and Mt Katahdin) and Acadia State Park (Beehive/Precipice Trail and Cadillac Mt).

I you were me, considering the storm, would you travel roughly 6 hours to begin the trip in light of the pending storm (from Boston)? How do you think the storm would affect Baxter...worst case scenario? Just a bit of rain right...(fingers crossed)?

I guess I'm wondering if some of you seasoned hikers would second guess your trip considering the "apocalypse" (lol). I've been making arrangements for about two months now and I'd hate to see that work go down the drain. I'm not afraid of rain but I don't like the idea of falling trees.

What are your thoughts?

Nutbrown
08-24-2011, 10:17
Not sure what the storm will do in Maine. Usually it rains for 2 days then beautiful. It might break up and rain on you longer than that though. I'd do it, just make sure your dry sack is solid!

peakbagger
08-24-2011, 13:22
I am heading up to Baxter Friday AM, based on the forecast and planning to climb the mountain on Saturday, I have a hotel room in reserve for Sunday night. Whatever happens it should blow through pretty quickly. The roads in baxter could suffer some damage from heavy rain but they usually can get them reopened fairly quickly.

Magazine
08-24-2011, 13:31
whoa, should have proof-read my post. Thanks for your responses! My plan is to go unless the weather looks VERY severe or my partner poops out!

Good Luck Peakbagger, Ill bet you have lovely weather! My plan was to climb Mt K. on monday, I hope it will be possible!

Blissful
08-24-2011, 14:51
I wouldn't go to Acadia, save it for later, but I'd check with the park (Acadia) on trail conditions afterwards. It's gonna be wet in Maine for a few of those days. The rivers can get high quick.

sweeper
08-24-2011, 15:00
i'm canceling sea kayaking this weekend
we, on coastal maine will get hammered with rain if Irene follows its projected path
save the trip until early Oct when the crowds go home
free camping on arcadia than also

Magazine
08-24-2011, 15:21
Voices of reason emerge...I appreciate all the input, the more the merrier!
Many thanks to all!

mudhead
08-24-2011, 19:07
i'm canceling sea kayaking this weekend

Prudent.

we, on coastal maine will get hammered with rain if Irene follows its projected path
save the trip until early Oct when the crowds go home
free camping on arcadia than also

I think you have your months mixed. On the arcadian camping.:)

Should be premium here this WE. Everyone will stay home in MA.

weary
08-25-2011, 23:09
The high winds will zip through quickly, a half a day at the most. The rain shouldn't last more than a day or two if I remember the forecasts right. Streams will be high somewhat longer. But Maine generally drains quickly.

4eyedbuzzard
08-26-2011, 00:16
from http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/Trails and Parking Update:Current forecast models suggest hurricane Irene may make landfall between southern New England and Eastern Maine sometime on Sunday. The strength of the storm at landfall is currently unknown, but we expect at least substantial rainfall and possible high winds in the Park. As forecasts strengthen on Friday and Saturday, access to high elevation and backcountry areas in the Park may be restricted. Please consider forecasts carefully and contact Park Headquarters before planning any trip to the Park on Sunday or early next week.
Current as of 8/24/2011.
Sounds like they will likely shut down access to Katahdin and higher elevations for a day or even two while the storm is blowing through depending upon the severity/path and the time it hits. They will not want to be in the position of having to put rescue personnel at risk in those conditions.

mudhead
08-26-2011, 13:18
Acadia is shutting campgounds and planning to close Ocean Drive. Only a damn fool would want to be in either of those places when it is rowdy out.:)

Might get a little wind here...

hikerboy57
08-26-2011, 13:27
baxter is closed.

Blissful
08-26-2011, 15:10
That solves this thread. Next?

mudhead
08-26-2011, 15:26
Now we can discuss if these parks should be able to close like this whenever they want.

Or if hiking poles help when trying to get cell signal in a tropical storm.

hikerboy57
08-26-2011, 15:37
Now we can discuss if these parks should be able to close like this whenever they want.

Or if hiking poles help when trying to get cell signal in a tropical storm.
theyre not closing the parks"whenever they want", theyre closing them to ensure people will be safe.Unless the storm track changes dramatically hi winds and very heavy rains can be expected throughout the northeast. With all the rain we've already gotten this spring and summer, you can expect major blowdowns and power outages, possibly for days. Its obvious, noone is taking chances. Ive ridden out 8 hurricanes on Long island, and this is the first im preparing to evacuate for.i may not have to, still hoping for the best, but Im ready.stay safe out there.

mudhead
08-26-2011, 15:39
But do poles help with cell signal?

hikerboy57
08-26-2011, 15:52
But do poles help with cell signal?swedes can help as Ericcson telephone has one of the largest cell networks in the world, but I wouldnt count on the Poles.:)