PDA

View Full Version : Silk vs. Synthetic

smokedog
02-13-2005, 23:25
Don't know if this is the right place to ask, but it is sorta "gear". Which provides a better warmth to weight ratio, silk or synthetic? I'm considering a set of silk long underwear to use in VA the month of May.

hikerjohnd
02-13-2005, 23:29
Don't know if this is the right place to ask, but it is sorta "gear". Which provides a better warmth to weight ratio, silk or synthetic? I'm considering a set of silk long underwear to use in VA the month of May.
I do not know about warmth to weight, but anything silk I have ever used has tended to wear out quickly. Synthetics have proven to be the better investment for me!

Mountain Dew
02-14-2005, 03:10
Silk isn't going to be as warm as a synthetic 24/7/365.

minnesotasmith
02-14-2005, 03:38
Who sells silk sleeping bag liners and silk longjohns, out of curiousity? I really like the feel of silk, and am having trouble finding sources for those items to use while camped during section hikes.

Dances with Mice
02-14-2005, 07:39
Who sells silk sleeping bag liners and silk longjohns, out of curiousity? I really like the feel of silk, and am having trouble finding sources for those items to use while camped during section hikes.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/campmor/iphrase.jsp?command=text&text=silk

kncats
02-14-2005, 08:21
REI has several silk products. There are also a couple companies out of New Zealand that make and sell silk products, Jagbags and New Zealand Nature being a couple of them. I have a pair of silk longjohns that I've worn for about 5 years for sleeping in. They've kind of lost their shape but no holes or seams coming apart. They definitely add a few degrees to the rating of the bag and are very comfortable to sleep in.

I've tried weaing a silk T shirt a few times. It's light weight, comfortable and dries extremely quickly, as long as you're wearing it. Silk does absorb or hold water however, so it takes forever to dry if the humidity is high and you're not wearing it.

peter_pan
02-14-2005, 08:26
Silk won't pick up as much odor as polypro....that said I use patagucci, super stuff...just pricy.

smokedog
02-14-2005, 09:36
I think this is a good deal on silk underwear.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp/dept_id.154/qx/dept.htm

Youngblood
02-14-2005, 10:12
I've used both REI's light weight synthetic long johns and their silk long johns. The silk long johns are half the weight, pack smaller, more comfortable and block the wind much better on those late night nature calls in cool weather. I haven't worn the light weight synthetic ones since I got the silk ones.

Youngblood

superman
02-14-2005, 13:58
I bought one pair of silk long underwear after I melted a synthetic pair in the dryer early in my AT hike. I gave the silk pair away and bought another synthetic pair. I wouldn't waste the effort carrying silk at any weight.

Footslogger
02-14-2005, 14:32
They're definitely lighter and pack smaller but I too have NOT been overly impressed with silk in garments. I own a pair of silk long underwear (REI) and took it on my thru in 2003 but ended up sending it home. For a bit more weight and bulk I was much warmer in my regular polypro long johns.

'Slogger
AT 2003

SGT Rock
02-14-2005, 21:00
I read a comparison of fabrics for moisture retintion and silk is close to cotton, of course since it is normally in a very thin weave you won't notice it a lot. I have worn out silk shirts while hiking over the course of a week to two weeks. I don't consider it a great hiking fabric choice.

fantasmagris
02-14-2005, 22:47
i tried silk top, but took too long to dry. i like lightest weight fleece cause dries SO fast.:D

smokedog
02-14-2005, 22:55
Seems there are some drawbacks to silk which I haven't considered. I cancelled my order for silk underwear and changed it to polypro. Thanks for the feedback, I love this web site!