PDA

View Full Version : Minimalist running

Alligator
08-24-2011, 11:08
The current interest in minimalist running is producing a variety of new trail runners of various designs. The minimalist running style differs from the more common style of running, i.e midfort/forefoot vs. heel strike. I'm seeing new designs minimizing drop in the minimalist shoe category. At what point are trail runners switching running style in regard to the newer designs? Some of these are called minimalist but are not quite as barefoot designed as say Five-Fingers. Should hikers by altering their walking gait to accomodate the minimalist trail runners? What about rocks (consider perhaps someone already in a trail runner)?

lissersmith
08-24-2011, 11:47
I recently switched over to New Balance minimus trail runners and really love them You naturally tend to run with the fore foot landing first instead of the heel, because of the lower heel. I think my legs feel much better running this way, although my calves were a bit sore during the transition. My hips and back feel great. I am undecided about the Five Fingers yet, maybe next spring. My son backpacks with the New Balance Minimus and loves them.

sbhikes
08-30-2011, 12:04
I run in either Invisible Shoe sandals or in sandals I made myself that are identical to Luna Pacers. I prefer to run in sandals than shoes because I like my toes to be free and I have such wide feet. The Invisible Shoes are almost too minimal if the trail is full of painful stones, but the Pacers work fine. Large rocks are no problem for me in any kind of sandal. I regularly hike and backpack in sandals anyway. I think the whole "transitioning" thing is more dramatic for people who run on roads because when you run on trails, the surface is already pretty varied and so your legs will be more used to sometimes having the heel be lower than the toe. People who run on roads exclusively will notice a couple of milimiters of lower heel a lot more and have a harder time of it because they never have a chance to stretch the achilles or build their ankle/feet strength.

1azarus
08-31-2011, 09:51
I just bought a pair of New Balance MT 101's -- which have a small superfeet-like partial sole plate built in, called "rock stop." they weigh in at 7.3 ounces each. First time out they felt great and seem to do a fine job with rock protection. i can't believe how much lighter they are than all the trail runners i've used before. so far, very happy.

erichkopp
09-06-2011, 14:55
I have such bad running form if I don't get immediate feedback to not do what I'm doing, that I credit minimalist shoes for being the only reason I'm able to run. Most people will definitely notice a difference, especially if they're not used to ever wearing shoes with no support and built up heel. I really like my Merrell Trail Gloves, which I also wear as an everyday shoe. I ran in Five Fingers for a little over a year but just don't really like the toe pockets. There's a lot of options coming out all the time for minimal shoes. There's definitely a lot to be said about their benefits.

moytoy
11-28-2012, 22:19
I've been waiting on a deal to get some UL trail running shoes. Tonight I found NB Minimus on clearance for $39.97 at Gander Mountain.