PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what animal made this foot print?

spoonee
08-24-2011, 12:22
I was up at Mt LeConte monday taking the side trail up to Cliff Top. I came across a muddy section of the trail that had many different animal tracks in it. I could recognize some of them (deer and turkey) but I didn't know this one for sure. I have a few guesses but would like to hear other thoughts. Any help would be appreciated. I didn't think to put a marker down for perspective but front to back is about 4-6 inches. thanks in advance.

WingedMonkey
08-24-2011, 12:28
It's a mountain lion chasing Bigfoot.

Tennessee Viking
08-24-2011, 13:45
I think Bobcat...

4eyedbuzzard
08-24-2011, 13:59
I'd go with dog. Even though there are no nail marks present (its nails could be clipped short or worn from hiking) which is usually indicative of a dog, the front toes are close together and middle two are aligned, and the heel pad appears single lobed at front. Overall shape is more dog. Cats generally have wider spaced toes with a double lobed front portion of the heel pad.

Doc Mike
08-24-2011, 14:29
dog as above, or someone.

hikerboy57
08-24-2011, 14:40
definitely canine, most likely dog, although my first thought was mountain ostrich(very rare).too many toes

sweeper
08-24-2011, 14:54
if no claws apparent, its a cat, they can get surprisingly large footprints.
the rear foot will often be approximate to the front print

burger
08-24-2011, 15:28
It's a dog. I'd say it's a little too robust to be a coyote, and it's definitely not a fox (though you can't rule out coyote without measuring the print). Definitely not a cat.

sweeper - depending on the surface, dogs sometimes show no claws. A better clue is that cat prints tend to be roughly circular while dogs tend to be longer than wide.

Majortrauma
08-24-2011, 15:30
It's a mountain lion chasing Bigfoot.
That was great!!! LOL

Pedaling Fool
08-24-2011, 15:55
I'd go with dog. Even though there are no nail marks present (its nails could be clipped short or worn from hiking) which is usually indicative of a dog, the front toes are close together and middle two are aligned, and the heel pad appears single lobed at front. Overall shape is more dog. Cats generally have wider spaced toes with a double lobed front portion of the heel pad.
The pic is not clear enough and it would be good to know the gait, not just one print. If it's that big it does make one think of a cougar, but cougars have a lead toe which tells you which paw you're looking at. I basically agree with 4EB's post.

The Solemates
08-24-2011, 16:43
definitely dog