PDA

View Full Version : what do you do if the world starts coming to an end?

hikerboy57
08-24-2011, 12:31
With earthquakes and hurricanes on the horizon, I was reminded of an overnight hike I took in march to west mt shelter in harriman sate park.the shelter is just a few miles away from Indian point nuclear plant. About 9:30 at night, there were 3 bright green flashes of light about a minute apart and then nothing.My first thought was an explosion at Indian Point. I wondered what to do(if anything), then figured that if everything(including myself) didnt begin to melt in the next ten minutes, I was probably okay. A moment later I realized the light had come from the wrong direction for it to have been from Indian Point.In the DVD Trek, they speak of 9/11 which happened while they were still on the AT.Can anyone share any other stories of the perceived end of civilization as we know it?
What do you do if you're on the trail and all hell (fire and brimstone) starts breaking loose?

Old Hiker
08-24-2011, 12:47
Keep hiking?

Harrison Bergeron
08-24-2011, 13:18
When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

4eyedbuzzard
08-24-2011, 14:09
Hmmm, like you're hiking in Yellowstone when it erupts? Or you see a huge comet trail headed toward an unavoidable earth impact?
Place head firmly between legs and kiss @$$ goodbye.

HiKen2011
08-24-2011, 14:19
Good idea!

HiKen2011
08-24-2011, 14:21
Hmmm, like you're hiking in Yellowstone when it erupts? Or you see a huge comet trail headed toward an unavoidable earth impact?

Sorry, I meant to quote this, Good Idea.

Feral Bill
08-24-2011, 14:24
At least from West Mountain you'd have a great view.

Doc Mike
08-24-2011, 14:28
! would suspect there would be 2 movements bowel movement and physical movement (sh$t and run)

DLANOIE
08-24-2011, 14:30

What he said.

DrRichardCranium
09-04-2011, 01:12
I would eat some peanuts, drink a few beers, then hitch a ride on one of the alien ships just before the planet got destroyed.

SassyWindsor
09-04-2011, 19:33
http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/customcounter.html?year=2012&month=12&day=12&hour=0&min=0&sec=0&p0=0

gillyfish
09-04-2011, 19:46
http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/customcounter.html?year=2012&month=12&day=12&hour=0&min=0&sec=0&p0=0

Dang it, that's the day before my birthday!

Snap Shot
09-04-2011, 22:52
Stay calm, expect for the worse, hope for the best. Find shelter, water and food. Be smarter than the average bear. Turn your eyes to Christ and in 7 years, you'll personally meet him!

weary
09-04-2011, 23:14
Stay calm, expect for the worse, hope for the best. Find shelter, water and food. Be smarter than the average bear. Turn your eyes to Christ and in 7 years, you'll personally meet him!
Well, that is as good as anything. But don't be surprised if the world keeps piddling along for a quite a few more years. Probably it won't be as pleasant as most of us in the west have become accustomed, but barring the crash of a giant boulder from outer space, earth will struggle along, I'm afraid.

Mother Natures Son
09-05-2011, 07:38
Amen! There was another guy running around saying the world is going to end. He even set a date and time when it will come to be. When the time did come, he said, "did I say this date? No I meant this date." LOL Don't believe anyone who says he or she knows when the world will end...just keep on hiking.

hikerboy57
09-05-2011, 07:52
theres a great scene in the movie"Little Big Man, where Dustin Hoffman meets his Lakota Grandfather laying on top of a hill, weary from all the wars and death, he asks Dustin Hoffman"Little Big Man, am I in this world or the next?"Dustin Hoffman replies,"No Grandfather You're in this world. Grandfather says "Thats what i was afraid of."

4eyedbuzzard
09-05-2011, 07:59
Well, that is as good as anything. But don't be surprised if the world keeps piddling along for a quite a few more years. Probably it won't be as pleasant as most of us in the west have become accustomed, but barring the crash of a giant boulder from outer space, earth will struggle along, I'm afraid.
Well, as you've got a few years on me, I'm sure you've probably noted that life is never as good - or bad - as the predictions. We kind of just slog along as a species from one day, one week, one year, one decade, one century, one millenia, to the next. The background scenery changes, the crisises come and go, and life goes on. In the final analysis, we do no more than any other species - we just survive. The reality of it all just doesn't make for good theater though.

hikerboy57
09-05-2011, 08:16
Its kind of like raising kids- The world will continue, in spite of our best efforts.

4eyedbuzzard
09-05-2011, 08:24
Its kind of like raising kids- The world will continue, in spite of our best efforts.:eek::D:banana

Pedaling Fool
09-05-2011, 08:27
Its kind of like raising kids- The world will continue, in spite of our best efforts.
True.

I just want to know when the supervolcano is going to erupt; not a world-ending event, but it will end our way of life as we know it. The next major asteroid is an interesting question also; 65 million years ago we had one kill off many life forms and then another 2 million year bout of large impacts ~35 million years ago, getting close mother nature needs to hit the restart button every now and then.:sun

DrRichardCranium
09-05-2011, 13:36
Regarding asteroids causing mass extinctions: It is interesting to consider that we are the first species that could do something to stop them.

4eyedbuzzard
09-05-2011, 13:45
Regarding asteroids causing mass extinctions: It is interesting to consider that we are the first species that could do something to stop them.
Perhaps, given enough time and dare I say luck. But unfortunately, we seem to many other priorities, at least from what I observe.

Pedaling Fool
09-05-2011, 14:05
True, we don't have our priorities straight, so we need more time than really necessary. However, a supervolcano, that's a completely different problem.

I can see it now. It's 10,000 years in the future there will be children sitting around the campfire listening to stories of how our ancient ancestors could travel to the moon. But it's just a childhood fairy tale.:D

Ladytrekker
09-05-2011, 14:19
Walk away from my office pick up my dog and head for the woods I least I would die happy.

4eyedbuzzard
09-05-2011, 16:15
I can see it now. It's 10,000 years in the future there will be children sitting around the campfire listening to stories of how our ancient ancestors could travel to the moon. :-? What's truly sad is that our grandchildren can already hear that story. :mad:

Spokes
09-05-2011, 16:21
When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

I thought that's what you did if you were on fire? Or is that stop, drop, and roll?

Old Hiker
09-05-2011, 19:08
I would eat some peanuts, drink a few beers, then hitch a ride on one of the alien ships just before the planet got destroyed.

Don't forget your towel and above all, don't panic!

sbhikes
09-05-2011, 20:45
If the world started coming to an end, I'd thank goodness I was out on the trail and not in my cubicle. Then I'd hike on.

-Animal
09-09-2011, 23:30
It’s already happened! True story-

The world came to an end for one hiker in 2008. He was walking on the AT when he realized that all the people were gone. Hadn’t seen anyone in a long time. If it was true what would he do? Where would he go? Suddenly he was very afraid that it was true. He headed to town to confirm what he felt had happened… that all the people are gone.

It was mid morning when he walked into the next town. He passed empty houses on deserted streets. The only sound was the wind rustling leaves. He knocked on a few doors at random, desperate to see another human being…someone…anyone. Deeper into town he went…but still no people.

He walked along forming plans in his head. Where he would go… how he would search for survivors. Then he started to think about why and how… Why did this happen? How could this happen? Where did everyone go.

It turned out…they had all gone to church. It was Sunday. But, for a time…for that hiker, the world did come to an end.

ChinMusic
09-10-2011, 00:00
Don't forget your towel and above all, don't panic!Arthur Dent. Great trail name. Just hike in a bathrobe

bpitt
10-04-2011, 07:41
Speaking of the end of the world as we know it, REM has disbanded, but I feel fine.

Gray Blazer
10-04-2011, 07:53
Arthur Dent. Great trail name. Just hike in a bathrobe

Thanks for all the fish!

bad marriage
10-04-2011, 10:09
duh... everyone knows this is when you use your signal mirror to signal an airliner

Spokes
10-04-2011, 10:39
What do you do if the world starts coming to an end? Hope your last meal isn't a bowl of cold Ramen.

sbhikes
10-04-2011, 11:09
Some friends of mine were backpacking in Montana over 9/11. They kinda didn't think of it much but they did notice how quiet it was because of the lack of planes flying overhead. They were pretty surprised when they saw the headlines in the newspaper when they got back to civilization.

Smooth & Wasabi
10-04-2011, 12:08
Head home, get the family, winter gear, bushcraft gear, get to the canadian wilderness. It seems like with the crappy economy, crumbling infrastructure, constant war, and natural disasters this subject comes up more and more. I just think about how every day throughout history tons of individuals and groups of people have lived there own personal apocalypses'(spelling?) and thank the power that be that I have it so good. Though a newborn daughter certainly has me more and more concerned with the path we as humans are on.

kolokolo
10-04-2011, 18:11
What do you do if you're on the trail and all hell (fire and brimstone) starts breaking loose?

Pick up your pace so that you can summit Katahdin before the end.

Del Q
10-04-2011, 21:28
Jeez, tough one...............drink the last of my whisky or save it?

JFW
10-05-2011, 00:03
I'm hiking with beanpole..he's got everything planned for the zombie infestation. War damn

Mountain Mike
10-05-2011, 23:30
Many years ago I was following the tradition of watching the sunrise on my birthday doing a shot of Tequila. Sitting atop a mountain with my friend just before sunrise we saw an orange streak coming down from the sky. Only two things we could think of was ICBM or meteor. He asked what should we do. Sitting on top of an old SAC facility burried in the mountain under our butts & miles from an AFB I decided not to wait for sunrise! We passed the bottle back & forth a few time & then the glowing object dissappeared. Never could figure out what it was.

Wise Old Owl
10-05-2011, 23:50
Just three flashes of GREEN light? - that the signal to suck up some delicious Ketchup... Mellowing good stuff for most folk outside....

Serious post
http://www.examiner.com/ufo-in-national/bright-flash-of-light-sky-reports-continue

Blue is a local transformer that shorts out,,, they can put out a light that can fill the sky for miles... they have protection but it fails from time to time and I have seen that first hand several times....

Green light is a when a massive switch is thrown on at a major distribution center... three lights equals three phase....the plant does not run 100 percent of the time instead it come on line and off when demand is needed or they are selling back to the wide grid.....

End of the world shhhhesh, hold all future posts till WWIII

txlonghorn8783
10-06-2011, 00:14
When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout! I like this idea. I wouldn't worry about it though good thing about the remote is usually nothing happens out there. But if your worried take your cell phone.