PDA

View Full Version : TNF jackets make you a target in DC

hiker5
02-13-2005, 23:28
I just saw an item on the evening news about how people are being robbed of their north face jackets in the Washington DC area. The Washington Post ran an article here (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A59875-2005Jan8.html) about it last month. How sad is this.... :(

A-Train
02-13-2005, 23:36
Haha, this is old news. Kids have been getting robbed for North Face for years. My friend and I got jumped on my street corner 6 years ago. Him for his NF Nuptse down jacket and me for my NF backpack. It's no longer an outdoor company, its an urban style clothing line. The quality has gone way down.

Lone Wolf
02-13-2005, 23:37
That's why I only wear CAMPMOR s**t.

A-Train
02-13-2005, 23:44
Haha your 100% correct on that Wolf. All the major brands have gone down in quality. It's not about performance but looking cool. If its not thug kids wearing North Face and Timberland its rich yuppy kids at my school wearing Patagonia and Marmot to frat parties.

Lone Wolf
02-13-2005, 23:55
I had a problem a few years back with mofos on the trail trying to jack me up for my HOBO CENTRAL BLUE-BLAZE wear. I busted caps in they ass fo shizzle yo!

Mountain Dew
02-14-2005, 03:08
***.... LW actually got the terminology correct. The whole nine yards ! Amazing. Wolf, have you been watching mtv or what ?

A-train.... I actually think Mountain Hardwear is still a top quality company. Several others come to mind as well that have actually raised the bar in outdoor clothing performance. i.e. Patagonia. While getting jacked for my North Face or any other clothing item would suck, trying to explain to the company that I deserve a new piece of clothing after I put a bullet hole in the perfectly good one after some punk tried to rob me wouldn't be easy. :sun

Rift Zone
02-14-2005, 11:04
LW actually got the terminology correct. The whole nine yards ! Amazing. Wolf, have you been watching mtv or what ?
Yo Dew, Wolf's down.

-North Face is Yuppie-Wear in these parts!

hiker5
02-14-2005, 11:11
I've know North Face was yuppie-wear. This was just he first time I that heard that it was thug-life-wear as well.

The only TNF I own is a pair of windpants I got from sierra trading post for $10 or $12.

Thumper 2006
02-14-2005, 11:16
I work at an outdoor shop in south carolina. The people that come to buy North Face look as though they have never stepped foot on a trail or any other outdoor activity for that matter. Plus, people who buy them are always calling about warranty information because the product failed. The company has brought a bad name to the people who actually buy jackets because they keep you warm. You know a company has sold out when it starts making pink jackets as a fad. Mountain hardwear though expensive still is a quality product. I have never had anything of there fail or not keep me warm some of it too warm. I hope that they can keep from selling out because they are a great company.

Rift Zone
02-14-2005, 11:16
Yo Dew,

You are absolutely right about Mountain Hardwear. Premier Gear! Also in the premier ranks are Arc'Teryx and OR (Ooutdoor Research). Not cheap! But, no more expensive than the Vanity Fair brand... ( You know that The North Face is owned and directed by Vanity Fair right? Yep.)

Jaybird
02-14-2005, 12:28
Yo Man!.....

.........................................Pimp my Jacket!"

Tha Wookie
02-14-2005, 15:38
They make you a target on the trail also -for jokes:jump

RockyTrail
02-14-2005, 15:52
.... Mountain hardwear though expensive still is a quality product. I have never had anything of there fail or not keep me warm some of it too warm. I hope that they can keep from selling out because they are a great company.They already have, in 2003 to Columbia Sportswear.
But maybe it's not all that bad, see article below:

http://www.forbes.com/2003/04/16/cz_sf_0416columbia.html

Rift Zone
02-14-2005, 16:12
Have you ever taken a good look at the Comubia Emblem? It looks a whole lot like a swastika. Rumors in the industry have Columbia as Nazi-Wear. Now I don't know nothing from nothing but it seems to me like Columbia is well aware of some of these comments. If they wasn't Nazi wear wouldn't they be embarassed over such things and invest in a new emblem? Just a question! I mean if Colombia has no problem being Nazi Wear then I have no problems with them being nazi wear.

I do have problems with MH being nazi wear. That just blows.

They already have, in 2003 to Columbia Sportswear.
But maybe it's not all that bad, see article below:

http://www.forbes.com/2003/04/16/cz_sf_0416columbia.html

chknfngrs
02-14-2005, 17:01
I don't think it's TNF's fault. I think it's pop culture that dictates what's hot. Look at the new Pepsi commercial with Pdiddy. Case in point. Pink Denali fleeces beget Purple Denali fleeces only because people bought black ones and white ones. Getting to know and learn about what they do and why they do it you'll find that they're not Nazi impounding business people, simply folks who know a good thing when they see it.

I love my Mountain Hardwear gear and will not stop using it b/c Ma Boyle owns the rights to it. Mountain Hardwear is still Mountain Hardwear in my opinion. Besides, Columbia makes some high end gear that's good stuff.

PS - there was a kid decked out in a full XCR ski suit spotted inside a mall recently. Now THAT is ridiculous.

But the point is, business is business, and we'll inevitably buy more gear at one point or another, right? Commerce is wonder!

NICKTHEGREEK
02-14-2005, 17:35
I just saw an item on the evening news about how people are being robbed of their north face jackets in the Washington DC area. The Washington Post ran an article here (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A59875-2005Jan8.html) about it last month. How sad is this.... :(Hopefully the inability to pronounce Arc'teryx and Patagonia will keep the brands off the target list.

BooBoo
02-14-2005, 18:28
These gangsta punks need to go spend some time in the woods. Drop em off on in the wilderness and they wouldn't be so tuff. Those 10x too big pants look idiotic. I used to work with some guys that wore those kinda pants. I used to tease them about spending so much$ on designer threads that they couldn't afford a belt. It makes me laugh to see these idiots wearing down TNF jackets when is 60 degrees outside.

I've got a Mtn Hardwear rain jacket but I got it on sale....Same for my Columbia winter boots.

Rift Zone
02-14-2005, 18:30
I love my Mountain Hardwear gear and will not stop using it b/c Ma Boyle owns the rights to it. Mountain Hardwear is still Mountain Hardwear in my opinion.

Yea, I feel the same. I'm not going to change the use habits of my existing gear.... but I have to admit, that knowldge will be a factor if I need to make another purchase.

Lone Wolf
02-14-2005, 18:37
I bought a North Face fleece hat (light lime green) through Campmor for $12. I'll be gang bangin and flasin signs when I hit Springer. :cool:

RITBlake
02-14-2005, 18:45
I bought, wear, and love a lightweight NF raincoat w/ a hood. I like it because the hood has a small brim on it, and there is a flap near the neck that helps me to stay warm and dry.

It's also machine washable which helps when I get blood on it after a drive by shooting or a mugging in the park.

Thumper 2006
02-14-2005, 20:01
columbia a member of the Nazi party give me break?

Jack Tarlin
02-14-2005, 20:03
I just finished the Post article that provides details about folks getting rolled for their TNF stuff.

That's pretty funny. You couldn't PAY me to hike with their stuff, as it simply isn't that great. Years ago, when I worked for an Outfitter here in Hanover, we referred to the NF Mountain Light (which now probably retails for about $350.00) as a "hundred dollar coat with a two hundred dollar logo on it." To this day, you see can't throw a frisbee in this town without hitting some twit from Connecticut wearing a North Face coat.....you could put a frozen turd on a stick and some yuppified ass-clown would buy it as long as it had the right "trend" logo of the moment.

Pretty amusing that the guys in the city think this stuff is so great.....on the Trail, if you see someone wearing a North Face backpack (which is actually quite rare), it generally means one of four things:

1. They're only out for two days.
2. They got it for Christmas from Mom.
3. They got it sponsored somehow.
4. They don't know diddly about gear.

Near universal truth if you see someone in Georgia in a NF pack:

Don't get too attached to 'em, as they ain't gonna make it.

RedneckRye
02-14-2005, 21:32
I've worked at outdoor shops since 98, and I gotta say The TNF Denali is the best Jacket EVER. Pink, sky blue, pastel green, even the classic all black, they rule!!! Would I ever wear one? Nope. Should you? Probably not. But from the perspective of a small shop, anything I can put on a rack and sell by the dozen is great. Selling what the "masses" want brings cash in that allows the shop to carry the truly specialized gear that appeals only to the select few. Sell enough TNF Denalis to kids who just wear then around campus, then shop can afford to have a solid selection of ,say, Western Mountaineering bags hanging back in the corner.

chknfngrs
02-14-2005, 23:20
nice post redneck. I feel the same.

Mountain Dew
02-15-2005, 02:37
This idea of TNF brand items being "yuppie" wear is news to me. In Texas I don't think TNF gear is looked at the same way as in the northeast. Working at an outfitters near Dallas I have sold tons of North Face Denali jackets. It's a top quality fleece that looks really nice. TNF rain coats are also a good item in my opinion. The packs are a different issue. People on the A.T. think or make comments about people who use TNF gear on the trail ? The same can be said about vegetarians on the trail for what it's worth. Each to their own I suppose.

Rift Zone
02-15-2005, 02:47
columbia a member of the Nazi party give me break?

Like I said, I don't know nothing from nothing but power doesn't evaporate and ideals die hard.

Pretty amusing that the guys in the city think this stuff is so great.....on the Trail, if you see someone wearing a North Face backpack (which is actually quite rare), it generally means one of four things:

1. They're only out for two days.
2. They got it for Christmas from Mom.
3. They got it sponsored somehow.
4. They don't know diddly about gear.

Near universal truth if you see someone in Georgia in a NF pack:

Don't get too attached to 'em, as they ain't gonna make it.

That's funny. Made even more funny by it's accuracy... That's just too bad. But for those that have and love their TNF gear... I hear ya. There are still relics that exist from some forgotten era when TNF was showing everyone what gear is all about. I happen to own the TNF Soloist Bivy and I love it. I don't use it too much as my demand for a bivy is small but I have yet to see another one I rather have. And another thing, Good point Redneck Rye. Lets hear it for pink and periwinkle yuppie/gansta wear.

And Dew,
Of course TNF has to maintain some standard of quality.... Real bad for business if their sponsored athletes either die or smuggle in other gear. :D

Ramble~On
02-15-2005, 04:51
Oh Really.
Funny but all of the stuff I own form TNF works just fine...granted it's all older stuff. I'm a bit of a pack rat and a gearaholic. Every piece of gear I have by TNF is good gear.
When the "never been to da' woods" hoods start wearing Mountain Hardware, Arcteryx and Marmot stuff in their rap videos are people gonna get mugged for their gear then ?
As for those that don't like NF packs ...good for you...don't get one.
I have a NF pack and I love it...it's one of my most comfortable packs.

Lone Wolf
02-15-2005, 07:39
I had a girlfriend that thru-hiked in 93 with a NF pack. What the hell are you mumbling about Jack? Like yuppies working at an "outfitter" in Hanover know what they're talking about. :rolleyes:

minnesotasmith
02-15-2005, 08:17
Does anyone here take the position that the quality of their sleeping bags has gone to pot as well? I was considering buying one of their sleeping bags next month before I section hike the AT in GA.

shades of blue
02-15-2005, 09:35
My TNF Badlands has hiked from Springer to Harpers Ferry with me. It isn't in the best condition now (sent it back for repairs on the harness), but it served a purpose. It got me into backpacking again. I have gear from all sorts of different companies. I don't buy it for the "logo". Has TNF gone down in quality, yes. Is it pure unadulterated crap...I don't think so. Quality costs money, and entry level gear serves it's purpose...gets people hiking and camping. Jack...I didn't know I should be ashamed of my gear when I'm hiking. Next time, I'll tape over all the logos so people won't laugh at me.

RockyTrail
02-15-2005, 10:25
I've got a black TNF fleece jacket I got on sale a few years ago. I like it because it's only 100 weight fleece and very light, I use it for a thermal layer, usually under a rain shell for around camp use. It also serves as a pillow when I pack it in a stuff sack. It's "just enough" insulation but not too much...it works well and I'm satisfied.

Never heard of the hoodlum attachment to this stuff until this thread, but I now I will likely think twice before walking through the 'hood with it... is it the hi-tech ski-jacket stuff they're after or simple fleece jackets?

Hey, maybe I could spray flat black over the logo, kinda like the subdued markings the Air Force uses on their planes nowadays to evade detection!

Mountain Dew
02-15-2005, 15:14
LW....you know of an outfitters in Hanover that I don't ? I wasn't aware that there was one. Get off those blue blazes and trying a white blaze out now and then. ;)

Lone Wolf
02-15-2005, 15:29
Before your time. Used to be one there. They were clueless.

Blue Jay
02-15-2005, 18:47
I don't know if they were clueless or not but they sure were good people. I broke a strap on a sandal and was going to buy a new pair. They went in the back and gave me a sandal that was very close to the one I had left.

MOWGLI
02-15-2005, 18:51
Does anyone here take the position that the quality of their sleeping bags has gone to pot as well? I was considering buying one of their sleeping bags next month before I section hike the AT in GA.

My friend has a down bag from TNF. For a small fee (less than $40), TNF will clean & restuff your bag with down. My friends bag has over 20,000 trail miles on it, and it looks like new. That's pretty good service as far as I'm concerned.

Jack Tarlin
02-15-2005, 20:12
I'm sorry Lone Wolf thought the staff of the Hanover outfitter's was "clueless." I was under the impression that among most hikers, they had an excellent reputation. The store was certainly well stocked and well run, and many folks had been there for years. When I was there, which was briefly, I was surrounded by knowledgable, capable, friendly folks. In short, for a small store, they did a pretty great job.

One of the former managers of the store now helps manage the EMS in West Lebanon; another works as a product buyer for the company and has an encyclopedic knowledge of gear.

Evidently the powers that be who run EMS thought enough of Hanover's "clueless" management that they hired and promoted them.

Go figure.

steve hiker
02-15-2005, 21:25
I don't know about their jackets, but my TNF Blue Kazoo is an excellent down bag. (Weird name, but good bag.) It's true to its 20 degree rating and protected me from the foolishness of my decision last week to leave my zero degree bag behind in February.

Nightwalker
02-15-2005, 21:28
I have a synthetic 20 degree TNF that I'm pretty happy with. Kind of heavy, but warm. I'm kinda addicted to down now, but it's still a decent bag.

Nightwalker
02-15-2005, 21:32
I'm sorry Lone Wolf thought the staff of the Hanover outfitter's was "clueless."
(snip)
Go figure.
Ahh, c'mon Jack, he was just sayin' that to mess with YOU! I knew that even before I got to your post...

minnesotasmith
02-15-2005, 22:08
I figure on buying a synthetic bag rather than a down one, given my impression that it's hard to go out on the AT for more than a weekend and not get your stuff wet. As I understand it, down holds more water (gains more weight) from getting wet than synthetic does, not to mention down losing more insulating ability while wet. So, if price isn't much of an issue (and, for me it really isn't anymore), it would seem that synthetic would be the better way to go for me on the AT. Now, the PCT and CDT both might be a totally different kettle of fish due to lesser rainfall, but I wouldn't consider doing either one of those for at least 2 years after my AT through-hike, so I don't figure on worrying about that for my upcoming bag purchase.

Nightwalker
02-15-2005, 22:47
I figure on buying a synthetic bag rather than a down one, given my impression that it's hard to go out on the AT for more than a weekend and not get your stuff wet. As I understand it, down holds more water (gains more weight) from getting wet than synthetic does, not to mention down losing more insulating ability while wet. So, if price isn't much of an issue (and, for me it really isn't anymore), it would seem that synthetic would be the better way to go for me on the AT. Now, the PCT and CDT both might be a totally different kettle of fish due to lesser rainfall, but I wouldn't consider doing either one of those for at least 2 years after my AT through-hike, so I don't figure on worrying about that for my upcoming bag purchase.
A wet sleeping bag is an over-feared problem. Seam seal your tent, carry your bag in a waterproof stuffsack and don't worry a lot. My down bag actually handles minor damp better than my synthetic does. It "spreads it around."

Plus, most modern bags have a DWR cover. My down bag does, my synthetic does not. My synthetic gets soaked easily!

Frank/Nightwalker

minnesotasmith
02-16-2005, 00:34
Since you've used both, perhaps you have an opinion on this issue of choosing between them: which material (when used in a sleeping bag) loses less insulating ability when washed (or just gets seriously wet out on the Trail)?

alalskaman
02-16-2005, 01:32
Hmmm, poor out-of-it me, I'd been dimly wondering why so many TNF logos everywhere, everyone with the michelin-man look even in mild temps. So now I know. Re the plug for Mt Hardware, I believe that's true, also Integral Designs seems to play to the user market. Likewise Montbell, always noting the extreme light weight of their stuff. Honestly, I HATE being a gearhead, and HATE it when "fashion" intrudes - Thoreau had it right when he said"beware of enterprises requiring new clothes." but all that said, losing a few pounds of pack weight by going to new trick light stuff is indeed nice. Hope we all can thread our way through this dilemma.

wacocelt
02-16-2005, 02:49
I'm wearing a pair of TNF trail runners right now. They aren't the best shoes on the market, but for $39 what do you expect. If I can milk 500 miles out of them then I've gotten more than my moneys worth.

P.S. I can't wait to see L.Wolf at Trail Days sportin' mad bling and tossin signs like a blue blood hobo thug from way back!

Mountain Dew
02-16-2005, 04:18
I picture him looking like wrestling star Capt. Lou Albano

utley
02-16-2005, 22:42
Speaking of TNF, I just saw a new Chevrolet Avalanche today that was a "TNF Edition"...... had TNF on an emblem on the side of the truck and the seats had the name on them....what's next..LOL

Chris Utley

Tha Wookie
02-17-2005, 08:37
Speaking of TNF, I just saw a new Chevrolet Avalanche today that was a "TNF Edition"...... had TNF on an emblem on the side of the truck and the seats had the name on them....what's next..LOL

Chris Utley
Just one more reason NOT to support TNF!

Capt Chaos
02-17-2005, 19:32
The next fad we will see is people walking the streets with Low Gaiters. I have already started to see the Crocs make a big statement around the Knoxville area.

orangebug
02-17-2005, 21:12
...had TNF on an emblem on the side of the truck and the seats had the name on them....what's next..LOLJeeps with Wrangler logos?

Mountain Dew
02-18-2005, 01:46
I hate the burst the bubble here, but there is NO Chevrolet Avalanche "TNF Edition". Unless Chevy is slow at updating their website to show the NEW Avalanche "TNF Editon" then that above statement just isn't true. Nice try though. http://www.chevrolet.com/avalanche/

I can hera the reply's now.... "I was only kidding" ..... "It was a custom truck blah blah blah" ..... Just admit that you faked the entry and in doing so fooled several here.

Funny either way. :banana

Percival
02-18-2005, 01:50
These cappachino sipping yuppies with their squeeky clean TNF jackets and SUVs wouldn't last one day on the trail. They'd make Dimwitte look downright smart.

Mountain Dew
02-18-2005, 02:00
even smarter if they spelled it dimwit. ;)

Tha Wookie
02-18-2005, 09:28
I hate the burst the bubble here, but there is NO Chevrolet Avalanche "TNF Edition". Unless Chevy is slow at updating their website to show the NEW Avalanche "TNF Editon" then that above statement just isn't true. Nice try though. http://www.chevrolet.com/avalanche/

I can hera the reply's now.... "I was only kidding" ..... "It was a custom truck blah blah blah" ..... Just admit that you faked the entry and in doing so fooled several here.

The words "horse's ass" come to mind.

Groucho
02-18-2005, 09:50

There is a TRAILBLAZER NF (http://www.wheelsdirect2u.com/chevrolet-trailblazer.htm)

hiker5
02-18-2005, 10:00
Looks like you may have jumped the gun there Dew.

TNF Edition (http://www.wheelsdirect2u.com/chevrolet-avalanche.htm) Avalanche

From the end of the third paragraph:

The newest Avalanche, the North Face edition, features the Autotrac 4x4 transfer case, on-/off-road tires, skid plates, locking rear differential, specially designed instrumentation, The North Face exterior badging, one-year OnStar Safe & Sound Plan, two water-resistant Water Duffalo Bags and two Summit Pod Daypacks. Put simply, the 2004 2005 Chevrolet Avalanche is neither an average SUV nor an average truck.

hiker5
02-18-2005, 10:14
Here (http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/420257) are some pictures of the TNF edition Avalanche. The only evidence of the TNF logo I could find was on the seats (last picture on the page).

And just so nobody gets the wrong idea about me I'll add that I still think the Avalanche is an ugly plastic-looking truck. I'm a Ford man myself.

NICKTHEGREEK
02-18-2005, 10:24
These cappachino sipping yuppies with their squeeky clean TNF jackets and SUVs wouldn't last one day on the trail. They'd make Dimwitte look downright smart.
That response may be the top ranked dumb reply in the history of the internet. So exactly what is so fantastically challenging about 1 day on the trail that would lend any veracity to your statement? How macho does an AT hike make you compared to say climbing K2? Does the ability to earn more than minimum wage and residing in an urban area exclude one from backpacking?
Incidentally, I enjoy a cappuccino when properly made and my clothes are frequently squeaky clean on the trail, I own a SUV that goes off-road, and I have a few TNF items.

steve hiker
02-18-2005, 12:10
There is a TRAILBLAZER NF (http://www.wheelsdirect2u.com/chevrolet-trailblazer.htm)
The North Face edition, huh. I can see it right now. Hiking and backpacking breaks into the mainstream of American recreation, and chat forums spring up all over the net discussing the best "off road" SUV for the next thru-hike.

Nightwalker
02-18-2005, 22:20
Since you've used both, perhaps you have an opinion on this issue of choosing between them: which material (when used in a sleeping bag) loses less insulating ability when washed (or just gets seriously wet out on the Trail)?
When they get seriously wet, neither one will keep you warm. I believe that it is a myth that synthetics will keep you somehwat warm when soaked. That must be someone elses bag.

When gently washed and dried with a tennis shoe or three tennis balls, a down bag returns to new condition. Use woolite or a bag wash soap and hand wash. Use perma-press/low heat in the dryer. You don't have to be very careful with a synthetic bag, but don't overdry it or you'll lose some of the loft due to a near-melt. (not the technical term, but the fibers have a memory, and start shrinking back to their original state.)

Over a period of years, very few with a cheap bag, synthetic bags lose their loft and insulative properties. A good down bag can last a lifetime.

If I haven't answered your question, try again. I'm a bit thick.

:D

Nightwalker
02-18-2005, 22:22
I picture him looking like wrestling star Capt. Lou Albano
He won't look like you expect. Regular guy. Nice guy. Really nice.

Bear Magnet
02-23-2005, 17:25
I work part time at an outfitter in the DC area, and we lock all of our North Face jackets over $200 up due to problems with theft. We also lock up the Arc'teryx jackets as well.

We also make bank selling North Face stuff. Especially if it is black and two sizes bigger than you really need. Heaven forbid if you want a XL to XXL after mid-January, because we won't have them in. At $200 to $450 a jacket, that adds up pretty quick.

So as another poster said, if you can sell lots of North Face jackets, you can afford to keep some products on the shelf that appeal to the hard core backpacker, but don't necessarily sell all that well.

I do think TNF makes some good products. I own the Pamir windstopper gloves, and they kept me warm while I was in Chicago over Christmas. They have some convertible pack pants that are not quite as good, but not quite as expensive, as the Mountain Hardware CPP that I hiked in in 2003.

Their footgear seems to be improving, but I haven't worn any personally.

We don't sell a lot of NF packs-to me, they seem to have too many cords, zippers, and straps. I generally show people the Ospreys and the Gregorys first. They are not a bad choice if you want something to take to Europe and don't want to spend $349 for an Osprey Crescent 75, though.

Their sleeping bags offer some good choices for moderately priced decent bags. NF did come out with a 900 fill down bag, but I haven't seen it.

Bear Magnet
Jonathan Amato