PDA

View Full Version : when does the a.t. guide come out for 2012?

jsdamon
08-24-2011, 23:46
i've watched a TON of you tube videos of people thru-hiking. i've bought most of my gear for next year and planned a couple shake down hikes. but i want to get the a.t. guide and start playing with that as soon as possible. anyone know when it comes out for next year? i didn't know i'd be this antsy to get on the trail a full 202 days from when i start.

Joey C
08-25-2011, 05:34
December, usually. You can always pick up a copy from 2011 to use and peruse while you wait.

Jeff
08-25-2011, 05:47
I agree you should get the current guide for planning...but be sure and get the 2012 guide when it comes out. There a quite a few changes from year to year.

jsdamon
08-25-2011, 23:55
all i needed was one person to tell me to get this year's to look at. i was just looking for an excuse. heh thanks.

spycam
09-02-2011, 14:00
I expect the 2012 guide will not have the updated info on post offices? several are being closed ? I know the one in whitetop, va is on the chopping block.. and several others?

RWheeler
09-04-2011, 14:16
I expect the 2012 guide will not have the updated info on post offices? several are being closed ? I know the one in whitetop, va is on the chopping block.. and several others?

There may also be substantial changes due to local places being damaged by Irene and the like, that don't anticipate re-opening by next season.

I just picked up the 2011 edition (I assume people are talking about Awol's guide?) to sort of hold me over and give as good of an idea as possible. I'll get the exact details worked out when I can get the 2012 edition.

MarkhMD
09-13-2011, 15:23
I gone through the 2011 guide thoroughly in prep for my 2012 NoBo, crosswalking it with Jack Tarlin's resupply reference on this site. Jack's info is a little dated (2007) but gives pretty good guidance on resupply, as well as some personal insight on services, etc. based on his frequent thrus. I've made a bunch of notes and highlights in my 2011 guide that I will transfer to the 2012 when it comes out. I'm also buying 2 of the 2012's so my wife can follow exact progress. Check out the new weather resistant map strips David's developed. A little pricey, but pretty cool

winnowedsoul
09-13-2011, 15:46
I would like to see what impact that Irene will have since so much flooding and such seems to be an issue, post offices are a concern too...my husband and I are looking to hike in 2012 and hope that a thru hike will be possible however with soo much trail closed right now I wonder the damages it suffered and it worries me that maybe water sources could be very contaiminated, bridges and resupplies could be more of a challenge than in other years....this is our first hike like this but my husband was in the army for several years and a couple deployments so i am confident we cna get by but just dont want to have to cute the hike short due to damage and closure. Does anyone know when the closures might re open?

guides are helpful, but only if they are current and I wonder what the timeline is for data collection and print to make sure things are not out of date

Awol2003
09-13-2011, 21:57
The 2012 AT Guide will ship in January. Updates are done right up to the first of December so it will be as up-to-date as possible. Also, I email updates during the season to anyone who subscribes for them.

There may be a handful of PO closings out of over 100 near the AT, so I don't see it as a major impact. Caratunk and Glencliff were convenient and will be missed if they close.

The bulk of the 2012 thru-hike crowd won't pass through the storm-damaged parts of the trail for another 9-10 months, so I wouldn't anticipate much more than the typical level of re-routes and closings that happen every year.

The "map strips" mentioned by Bucket List are not mine; they are "Pocket Profiles" made by George Andrews at Antigravity Gear. They are completely water proof and nearly impossible to tear. We've worked together to make the products (book and maps) complementary.

mtndust
09-23-2011, 19:43
If you get the guide by AWOL (http://theatguide.com/index.html), that's supposed to be out in Feb 2012. I think it's sort of a modified version of the Thru-Hiker's Guide.

seasparrow
01-27-2012, 06:24
My Data book and Companion should arrive today,From the mother ship.

railwalker
01-27-2012, 07:25
If you get the guide by AWOL (http://theatguide.com/index.html), that's supposed to be out in Feb 2012. I think it's sort of a modified version of the Thru-Hiker's Guide.

I received it yesterday (2012 edition)

HockeyGirl
01-27-2012, 09:01
Got mine in the post yesterday - I was so excited I did a little dance :-)
I've even brought it to work today to bore all of my colleagues with it!

railwalker
01-27-2012, 09:15
Got mine in the post yesterday - I was so excited I did a little dance :-)
I've even brought it to work today to bore all of my colleagues with it!

me too, me too. :cool:

Maren
01-27-2012, 09:22
Got mine Monday. Love the elevation profiles. And the unbound version is brilliant.

The Monk
01-27-2012, 15:19
My copies arrived just a few minutes ago. I ordered them directly from the ATC. Cheers...Monk

jsdamon
01-27-2012, 18:17
yeah, i got mine a few days ago! and i've already shown it to multiple coworkers that look at it as if it's a foreign language. hehe soo pumped! bought the 2011 version because i got antsy and i'm giving that to the gf so she can see where i am as i call to check in.

RETCW4
01-27-2012, 19:19
I received it yesterday (2012 edition)

So did I.

Tumbleweed

moytoy
01-29-2012, 09:16
I picked up a 2012 atguide from AWOL yesterday. Didn't have to pay shipping that way. Now my wife is mad because my weekend shores are not getting done. Laying in my mancave dreaming of higher ground than Florida. All kidding aside this is a great guide! Extremely well thought out!