PDA

View Full Version : clothing

nye
02-13-2005, 23:53
Im going to be starting on march first from springer. I have most all my gear set and ready. My biggest concern though is clothing.

I have my base layer underware top and bottom? Do you think its worth carrying an extra set of these (or extra pants or shirt), esp. for early off? My biggest concern is having clean dry clothes to get into if it gets cold. Im only using a 25 degree bag as well.

Rainpants seem like something you would only need for starting off and finishing. Is it worth carrying the whole way. If so i better get a decent pair rather than just the cheap ones i have now.

oldyeller
02-14-2005, 00:18
Tough decisions.

1. If you're carrying rainpants, will they keep your pants dry? If so, do you need a 2nd pair of pants?
2. If you carrry an extra base layer and find you don't need it, you can send home from in 3-4 days.
3. You got lots of variables with temp, wind, precip.....but more info is needed on your choice of shelter, sleeping bag pad, bag liner, other clothing.....so the best I can offer is this: find the best combination for the conditions.
4. Don't count on the "clean" part of "clean dry clothes" ....if you have to choose between "clean" and "dry" go for the dry!
5. Don't be afraid of cheap....if it works great. You get bragging rights over the expensive stuff that may function no better.

See you on the Trail. oldyeller

nye
02-14-2005, 06:16
yeah i didnt mean clean, I meant dry. freudian slip. I know I won't be clean. I have a 3/4 thermarest pad and a big agnes seedhouse tent.

Jaybird
02-14-2005, 07:46
Im going to be starting on march first from springer. I have most all my gear set and ready. My biggest concern though is clothing.
I have my base layer underware top and bottom? Do you think its worth carrying an extra set of these (or extra pants or shirt), esp. for early off? My biggest concern is having clean dry clothes to get into if it gets cold. Im only using a 25 degree bag as well.
Rainpants seem like something you would only need for starting off and finishing. Is it worth carrying the whole way. If so i better get a decent pair rather than just the cheap ones i have now.

If you decide to carry "RAINPANTS"...you'll almost have to carry another pair....because (this has been my experience) RAINPANTS DONT BREATHE WELL! (the "sauna" effect)...so, you'll have sweaty, wet pants on the inside.

i bought RAIN-resistant, fast dry pants as my ONLY pair of pants.
i do carry Nylon shorts for camp/sleeping wear. It's suited me fine for 4 years now....& a 25 degree bag?
It gets quite COLD in March & April in the Blue Ridge & Smokies range...(w/ snow being the "norm")

hope youre "warm-natured"...or have a liner.... :D

good luck on your hike!

chris
02-14-2005, 11:02
I would carry an extra set of thermals if you are starting March 1. Something like a set of heavyweight thermals for in camp and a set of light or midweight ones for hiking in. Bring the rain pants until it is warm enough out to get competely soaked and not worry about hypothermia. Probably until early-mid May. I wouldn't bother with a second pair of pants, though.

You might find a thread I put up a while back helpful:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7351

K-Bear
02-14-2005, 11:44
Here's what I took and I think it was perfect last year same time...

Duofold midweight top and bottom +/- 40$ (for both)
polypro heavyweight winter longjohn bottoms army surplus store 20$
nylon running pants thin and light thrift store 1.50
precip rain jacket from marmot 99$ priicey but worth it!
wicking t-shirt w/sleeves cut off very thin and light 15$
zip off nylon pants columbia's cheapo kind .....about 18$ @ rainbow springs
1 pair fox river heavyweight over calf socks (for camp) 12$
2 pair fox river ankle high running socks 8$ each

It never got too cold for me and i'm a real sissy about cold temps

footwear of choice was keen nylon sandals.....absolutely perfect!!! Just had to remember to keep feet moist with lotion when I thought to do it.

Hope this helps!

TankHiker
02-14-2005, 11:51
I never wanted or needed rainpants until I got to Maine. You probably wouldn't even need them, since you are getting an early start. But if you take your time and get to Maine pretty late, you might want to invest in rain pants.

But that's just my opinion. :)

-TANK

Rift Zone
02-14-2005, 13:29
My rain set up is usually a rain hat with nice wide brim, Windstopper vest and rain pants. If it got too warm I would take off the hat then the pants and hike in shorts. If it got too cold I would put fingerless gloves on and then reach for my shell jacket. But, usually, the pants, hat and vest combinations worked great. Here is why: Shell pants are a sauna when you hike in them... Mine have side-zipps that run from the thigh all the way down. (To the thigh is perfect... full zipps that go all the way up suck under a waist belt.) In a second I can vent my entire leg and keep moving. The moment I cross the ridge line into the fury of the system I can zip my legs closed to full protection, zip up my vest and move on like it was nothing. In 10 meters you can change micro climates requiring much different coverage. No problem. ;)