PDA

View Full Version : is skyline drive hitchhiker friendly?

prsgtrman
08-25-2011, 14:06
going to do a small section of the AT and im wondering if catching a ride is easily done on skyline drive.

StealthHikerBoy
08-25-2011, 14:18
It may be technically against the rules, but I think Skyline Drive might be the easiest place in the country to hitch a ride.
I either put my thumb out just before an overlook (so there is a safe place to pull over) or approach people stopped at the overlooks. Most are happy to help a hiker in need.

jlb2012
08-25-2011, 14:21
regs say its OK to hitch hike if headed back to your car

johnnybgood
08-25-2011, 15:48
Only times I've had problems catching a hitch is weekdays when traffic volume was low. For the record though the better you present yourself ,i.e. clean looking shirt , neat apperance , the odds increase of getting a serious look.

Sierra Echo
08-25-2011, 15:51
Is there a park shuttle for lone hiker chicks who don't want to hitchhike?

Blissful
08-25-2011, 16:09
Sierra - you can PM Skyline -he runs shuttles all the time. If you're in the Swift Run Gap to Big Meadows area or back south to Loft Mtn area (know when you might be there), check with me - if I'm around I can help out. You can also locate rides in parking lots and at the viewpoints.

I just remembered also, someone works here in SNP that is on WB. Can't think of his name - hopefully he will chime in and may be able to help too

Blissful
08-25-2011, 16:12
It may be technically against the rules, but I think Skyline Drive might be the easiest place in the country to hitch a ride.

My hubby couldn't get a ride to save his life back a few years ago in the fall. But it was in the southern section (central section is the most popular). So it just depends.

Tipi Walter
08-25-2011, 17:35
I've hitched rides all thru the area, from NC north into Virginia to Waynesboro and from Waynesboro to Rockfish Gap and the southern SNP terminus, and then when in the park I hitched to Luray for food on hiway 211. In Front Royal I did several hitches on hiway 55, etc, and then (don't do it!) hitched into Washington DC and almost got kicked off the Metro for eating a banana---weird group of people in the district. Hitching the DC beltway suks.

Slo-go'en
08-25-2011, 17:41
I've always found hitching where there is a lot of tourist traffic to be difficult. Most cars are full of kids and luggage so can't fit you in if they wanted to or they just don't want to. But sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't.

Tipi Walter
08-25-2011, 17:47
I've always found hitching where there is a lot of tourist traffic to be difficult. Most cars are full of kids and luggage so can't fit you in if they wanted to or they just don't want to. But sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't.

It really helps to have a noticeable backpack, although this is no guarantee. One time I spent two full days on I40 in NC trying to get a ride, had a pack, etc, and had to camp in a distant treeline for a night and started up again the next morning. I started out counting the cars, three hours later I scanned each pinched up face, then into hour eight I started reading my little copy of the Bhagavad gita---one day wasted but on Day 2 I finally was picked up and mobile. The best time to hitch is during a blizzard or after a snowstorm as there will always be those peculiar sorts who love driving thru snow in their trucks and SUV's and won't hesitate to stop.

johnnybgood
08-25-2011, 18:01
I've always found hitching where there is a lot of tourist traffic to be difficult. Most cars are full of kids and luggage so can't fit you in if they wanted to or they just don't want to. But sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't. Once actually had a suburban towing a trailer pull off the road after passing me and when I approach the window the woman in the passengers seat immediately begins to apologize for not being able to find space for me in the truck but offers me a ride in their trailer. I thanked them for their generosity but told them that my car was only a few miles further and the walking was good for me .

Sierra Echo
08-25-2011, 18:36
Sierra - you can PM Skyline -he runs shuttles all the time. If you're in the Swift Run Gap to Big Meadows area or back south to Loft Mtn area (know when you might be there), check with me - if I'm around I can help out. You can also locate rides in parking lots and at the viewpoints.

I just remembered also, someone works here in SNP that is on WB. Can't think of his name - hopefully he will chime in and may be able to help too

Thanks Blissful! I'm thinking about heading that way this spring!

Blissful
08-25-2011, 19:41
Wow I may want to join you he he

Sierra Echo
08-25-2011, 20:22
Wow I may want to join you he he

So lets do it!

restless
08-25-2011, 21:19

That would probably be me... I work for the park and live in Luray. PM me; if I can help I'll be glad to.

Virginia Archer
08-25-2011, 22:29
Thinking of doing some weekend trips next spring/summer/fall up there also, maybe I'll try and catch up with ya'll also. Gotta wait till the bum ankle heals up this fall and winter!