PDA

View Full Version : boots for wide feet?

nehiker
08-25-2011, 17:31
I have been trying to get a pair of ``lightweight backpacking" boots (as EMS categorizes them) that fit. The most common problem I encountered was pinching of the joints on the right foot where the toes are attached. I feel it walking level, on carpet and hardwood, as well going up the stairs, but not down the stairs (when the toes do not touch the floor). The pinching seems to be from below, not from the sides, but the only explanation for this I could see is that the toebox is too narrow. Is this likely to be the case?

I currently own Timberland Chocorua, size 12 medium, which I purchased at Dick's Sporting Goods 3-4 years ago and have done 300-400 miles in. Unfortunately, they are dying, plus my foot seems to have expanded a little since. So, I have been using them for occasional trail work recently, but I need to get something else for hiking. This is the only pair of shoes/boots in the past 20 years I bought in this size; all the others have been 12.5 (back when such things existed) and 13. Size 13 in these boots felt way too big when I tried them in the store (after walking 3 miles on asphalt, while it was in the 90s and no shade). I normally wear them with Ultimax Ironman Triathlon socks (CoolMax, a bit thicker than regular white cotton socks). With liner socks under SmartWool mediums, I feel pinching in these boots also, but only under the two right toes (I tried this only recently for comparison).

Unfortunately, the EMS near me and Campmor do not have many boots in big sizes in stock, so I have had to order some of the boots online. In particular, I have tried Asolo FSN 95 in size 14 wide and now Timberland Chocorua, size 13 wide (b/c the DSG near me did not have any large sizes in stock).
I felt this pinching in both of them, even with just the liner socks (as well with my usual Ultimax socks). I measured the width of the outsole at the widest part in the front half of the boot. Asolo's size 14 wide are about 1/3'' narrower than my old Timberlands size 12 medium, while the new Timberlands size 13 wide are 1/4'' narrower the old size 12 medium!

While at my local DSG with nothing of what I had intended to try in my size in stock, I tried Merrell Moabs size 14 (regular; I don't think they come in wide). They felt really nice and light. They did seem to provide some ankle support, though less than what I am used. I would have been willing to try them out, but again I felt that pinching on my right foot, with liner and smartwool socks on. It was quite a bit milder with these boots though, and the width of the outsole was only slightly less than on my old Timberlands.

The only boots I have tried recently that did not have this were Vasque Breeze XCR and Wasath, 13 wide. Unfortunately, both hurt the bone on my right ankle which points inward. In fact, I purchased the Breezes in May and took them for a 35-hike on the AT in PA, after a few miles on the road. That bone started hurting on the second day, which I attributed to doing 19 miles with lots of rocks. So, I took them on the Long Trail, where they failed badly (got soaked every time they came into contact with any significant amount of water from the very beginning, and the outsoles started to detach after about 100 miles on the LT). After a few days, that bone started hurting again. I dealt with this by leaving the shoelaces on the right boot fairly loose. This greatly reduced the ankle support, so the part of my right ankle behind the bone started to hurt (this got pretty bad at some point, but Advil seemed to control this, and after a few days I was able to cut down on the Advil). I was going SOBO, so replacing the boots was not an option (there is not an EMS on every corner in northern VT). I tried the Wasath shortly after finishing the LT; so, that bone may have been more sensitive than usual and I could feel
the pressure even in the store (unlike what happened with the Breeze). To make sure it was not overly sensitive, I tried my old Timberlands and felt no pressure on that bone (the Asolos did not hurt there either).

Any advice on what boots might work for me? I'd like ankle support, so I do not want to go to low-cuts.

Sorry for the long post.

peakbagger
08-25-2011, 18:08
New Balance or their captive brand Dunham usually makes extra wide hiking boots. I have a pair of size 13 4es for late season hiking. Note New balance tends to size small so if in doubt go up a size.

Sierra Echo
08-25-2011, 18:34
You need a pair of Keens!

30 Large
08-25-2011, 18:52
These are the boots I have Lowa
(http://www.rei.com/product/789686/lowa-renegade-ii-gtx-mid-hiking-boots-mens)They have wides in every size and they fit very comfortably with little break in time.
Try them out if you haven't already.

mudhead
08-25-2011, 18:54
Print that post and take it to a "small" store. Not EMS or Dicks. Get your feet measured by someone who knows. Take different thicknesses of sock with you.

Zappos has a nice search by size function.

I bet you would like a 4E, those wide sizes are usually 2E.

boarstone
08-25-2011, 20:23
Try the brand ASOLO. Hard to find dealers, the shoe/boots are built wide to begin with. I use them as my feet are flat and "splayed".

ekeverette
08-25-2011, 20:27
keens! i got the fattest feet in town!

BHound
08-25-2011, 22:43
Try Vasque - I have an old pair that are like wearing gloves and finally had to buy a new pair since the old pair is so worn, and the new ones are just as comfortable - did a lot of hiking in Colorado this summer after breaking them in for one day with no problems. Also have a wide foot.

Ezra
08-25-2011, 22:47
Not sure if they are light enough, but the Montrail Torre GTX works well on my wide feet. Took alot of searching to settle on them.

jacob_springsteen
08-25-2011, 23:15
I'll add that you should seek out the wide versions of Hi-Tec hiking boots. The medium width versions already have a generous amount of width, so the wide ones are more so. Hi-Tec boots are budget category hikers generally, so they can go only so many miles. Back in the day, it was a no-brainer to get a new pair every 500 miles on a thru-hike because they were so light and so cheap.

Skid.
08-26-2011, 09:09
I've had good luck with New Balance, many come in 4E, some in 6E. Subscribe to their online store, they run quite a few sales, and often offer free shipping on boots over $100.

think0075
08-26-2011, 11:04
just cause a boot fits someone else or they like a certain shoe does not mean it will work for you. the only way to really find a shoe that works best for you is to try them on. At EMS they do have foot gurus who can measure your feet and explain the benefit of things like superfeet, and the right socks. Also don't worry about matching the shoe or boot to the hike match the shoe or boot to your comfort. If you feel more comfortable walking around in sneakers then try a pair of trail runners, they still offer good support and you will be light and more nimble, less likely to get tired and misplace your foot or roll your ankle.

Hoop
08-26-2011, 16:48
Keens are pretty wide.

Deacon
08-26-2011, 18:05
I use New Balance 1123's. They have a substantial sole with a roll bar and are one of the few trail shoes that come in 6E width. They go for $149 regular price, but shipping is free and they always pay shipping both ways no matter how many times you send them back.

nehiker
08-26-2011, 20:03
Thank you very much for all the suggestions. It would have been nice to try all these in a store, but it looks like I will still need to continue ordering boots online and returning them if they do not fit, but hopefully with better luck this time. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find stores nearby that carry such large sizes in many boots. I did in fact try Lowa Renegades at Campmor, but only in size 14; they did not have 13 or 14 wide in stock at the store (even though they had them at their warehouse). These came pretty close to being fine, so perhaps 14 wide will do. It looks like zappos has just about any shoe in just about every size, including the Lowas, Keens, and Hi-Tecs. Thank you for suggesting this site; I'll try them out.

bigpete
04-15-2012, 14:56
I feel your pain. I have wide feet, and most shoe departments neglect people like us. I like to shop for all of my boots and shoes now at XLfeet.com since they cater to men like us with large and wide feet. They have a nice selection of Wide Hiking Boots (https://www.xlfeet.com/Large-Hiking-Boots-s/211.htm) too. The owner started the company because he could never find shoes to fit his size 16 feet. He even told me that he has boots and shoes custom made for actors and pro athletes, and then makes them available to the public. Funny enough, his moddow is, "Fitting Extra Large Feet is no Extra Large Feat".

I would recommend the Magnum Precision Ultra Lite WPi Soft Toe (https://www.xlfeet.com/Magnum-Precision-Ultra-Lite-WPi-Soft-Toe-p/5385.htm)since they have this cool new surface technology called ion-mask. Checkout the video. Basically it allows sweat to escape, but is still waterproof and breathable at the same time. And the best part is that these boots are available in EEE wide up to size 15.

It's good to know at least one company is conscious of us Bigfoots!

baddog
04-15-2012, 17:36
Go to shoebuy.com. You can search by size & no charge for return for no fit. Try looking for Propet brand...I've had good luck, thier "wide" is 3E and X-wide is 5E & sometimes actually run bigger/wider than other brands.

Rif
04-15-2012, 19:45
I have a slightly wider foot and have had good luck with the Keen Targhee II Mid. The toe box is plenty wide and the slighty small sizing usually requires sizing up a full size. This give a little extra width too. The soft inners seem to accomodate a wide foot with no issues unlike some harder still leather boots.

For trail runners I find the Terra Plana Vibvobarefoot seris to have a wide toe box and reasonable mid foot width. The Ultras fit me quite loosely (again, size up one size) and I have a pair of Breatho trail shoes on the way.

Merrell also released the Trail Glove in a wide. The toe box was always wide but now the instep area is wider which was a complaint for many reviewers.

New Balance offers the Minimus MT10 in a 2E width and the Minimus 00 in a 4E

bflorac
04-15-2012, 23:38
If you have WIDE feet, your best (and only) bet is New Balance. I have 4E feet with a high arch and have tried ever brand under the sun and spent lots of $$$ in my quest. Best boot I can find is the New Balance MO1000BY. It is a bit heavy compared to some of the more recent offerings. I would like something lighter perhaps even low cut but this boot is flexible with a good sole so your feet will not bruise. It almost feels like a sneaker and in the 4E width my toes can finally breath and not blister. It is insulated but I did not find it uncomfortable or any warmer than any other boot. It laces well and allows you to tighten up just the ankle if needed for long downhill runs. It says it is waterproof but don't believe it (there is no such thing). Toss out the stock insoles and use Superfeet of your liking.

Wise Old Owl
04-15-2012, 23:56
Ugh. as in UGHHHHHHG! OK I am only reading the first post here and this is important. I spent three years selling shoes and measuring MENS feet. Over time less support more hiking and less padding or fat inside your foot causes spread. I have seen a podiatrist for my problems I suggest going back to a store - where they deal with problem feet and get measured. DO NOT get all wrapped up in the actual number this is a starting point... if your toes after lacing up are even near touching the toe box its wrong... you need "wiggle room" there or you get toe bunions. Try a ramp make sure the toes don't cramp into the toe box and stop worring about width... get the length right with the right room and the width generally takes care of itself..... I sometime pull the manufacture insert and replace with my Powerstep Blue arches.

Start there and get back to us.- Pm if you need help.

There are many

Wise Old Owl
04-15-2012, 23:59
If you have WIDE feet, your best (and only) bet is New Balance. I have 4E feet with a high arch and have tried ever brand under the sun and spent lots of $$$ in my quest. Best boot I can find is the New Balance MO1000BY. It is a bit heavy compared to some of the more recent offerings. I would like something lighter perhaps even low cut but this boot is flexible with a good sole so your feet will not bruise. It almost feels like a sneaker and in the 4E width my toes can finally breath and not blister. It is insulated but I did not find it uncomfortable or any warmer than any other boot. It laces well and allows you to tighten up just the ankle if needed for long downhill runs. It says it is waterproof but don't believe it (there is no such thing). Toss out the stock insoles and use Superfeet of your liking.

New Ballence Hikers - wear out very quickly when compared to hiking /runners - from other companies... I shot thru one NB pair per year...

Wise Old Owl
04-16-2012, 00:04
Oh second thought Merrel was carried in large sizes at DSG and I can guess they still do. Ask the shoe guy in the store,

bflorac
04-16-2012, 02:54
Don't get caught up on one shoe. Just because the offer different lengths or perhaps different widths, that does not mean the boot fits your foot. Comfort is EVERYTHING and must not be comprised. If it is not wright, to to a different style or brand. Since you have wide feet your options are going to be limited. All the "top" brands to not offer a WIDE shoe. Some do have a larger box that may be allow you to get by. As far as I know New Balance is the only brand you can get in EE, EEE or EEEE.

bflorac
04-16-2012, 02:57
New Ballence Hikers - wear out very quickly when compared to hiking /runners - from other companies... I shot thru one NB pair per year...

But I would take a pair that fits over a pair that last long any day.

I only have about 200 miles of hiking on my New Balance boots but they still look great. Not all NB boots have the same soles...(same for any brand)

Dawg
04-16-2012, 19:24
I have wide feet with bunions, and as a result I have searched far and wide (no pun intended) for a pair of well fitting boots or trail runners. I have found three that have worked for me: Altra Lone Peak; Chacos; and Zamberlan Vios Plus GT RR. Most shoes are rather pointed at the toes, causing the toes to be squeezed together. The Altras and the Zamberlans have a boxier toebox, eliminating that problem. Of course, Chacos are sandals and are thus probably the best solution in warmer weather. YMMV