PDA

View Full Version : Hanging Ramen?

rjhouser
08-25-2011, 18:08
Think it's necessary to hang dry ramen still in the packages?

WingedMonkey
08-25-2011, 18:17
Of course not, then the mice will leave my stuff alone.

Sierra Echo
08-25-2011, 18:34
Of course not, then the mice will leave my stuff alone.

And the bears too!

hikerboy57
08-25-2011, 18:43
I jsut got back from a week in the whites and ME, polled 15 NOBOS if they hung their food. Not a single one of them did, although they did use bear boxes where provided. I slept with my food without incident 4 nights on the Grafton Loop trail.ramen should be stored in a hiker box.

TNjed
08-25-2011, 19:33
I haven't hung my food in the last ten years

Blissful
08-25-2011, 19:42
Just don't be the tent with the ramen inside at Bearfence in Shenandoah.

Lone Wolf
08-25-2011, 21:12
Think it's necessary to hang dry ramen still in the packages?no. not necessary to hang any food. seriously

moldy
08-25-2011, 23:08
It's a rare thing, but it does happen that a hungry bear is rewarded with food near campgrounds and shelters and takes up the behavior of raiding campsites. Some of these bears become a problem for hikers. On very rare occasions people get hurt. State wildlife officers, forest service wardens and park service folks end up killing or catching for relocation bears every year because they are hanging around shelters and campsites. To help fight this problem they build bear cable systems and bear boxes and tell all the hikers to put the food in a place where no bears can be thus rewarded. My guess is that about half of the hikers don't bother. They prefer to use the "big woods and few bears system" or the "guardian angel system" to keeps out the bears. Because of that, the number of bad bear encounters continues to grow. If you want to buck the trend on this forum and put all of your food up the bear pole or in the box, that would be a good thing. If the nature of your qusetion was whether or not a bear can smell your noodles in the plastic bag...the answer is, yes he can.

Wombat Farm
08-25-2011, 23:12
I'd suggest you hang even toothpaste if the area says it's frequented by bears. In the whites in NH...once your above around 3500 ft...no bears pretty much but elsewhere, yes hang your food (Lone Wolf...seriously????). The thing is if you're in bear country and people are continuously foolish with their food...bears will frequent and then the poor little guys are either removed or killed if they get too annoying. I'm from NH and yes, this has happened.....Be smart for the bears sake!

ChinMusic
08-25-2011, 23:18
The thing is if you're in bear country and people are continuously foolish with their food...bears will frequent and then the poor little guys are either removed or killed if they get too annoying.
Totally agree. That is why I sleep with my food as well.

4eyedbuzzard
08-25-2011, 23:44
The trick to hanging ramen is to not overcook it. Al dente noodles will hang okay. Overcooked soggy ones break and fall on the ground making a big gooey mess.