PDA

View Full Version : Met Nimblewill Nomad today

squeeze
08-26-2011, 00:17
13677He finished the Ozark Highland Trail today and is on his way to the Ouachita Trail. Last of the Triple-O. He says no problem with the leg he broke back in June. http://www.nimblewillnomad.com/index.html

fiddlehead
08-26-2011, 00:43
He's one cool dude.
Still hiking all over the place I see.
Good for him.

Trailbender
08-26-2011, 03:22
I'd like to do that one day, have had severe wanderlust since my thru last year. I left college the semester after I got back, just got burned out. I have student loan debt, but that is the only thing keeping me here, at the moment. Gonna work, pay it off, save some money, and hit the trail. Just do crap jobs for a few months in the wintertime.

Wonder how he makes enough to hike all the time?

fiddlehead
08-26-2011, 05:11
I believe he was a doctor.
From Nimblewill Gap (between Amicalola and Springer Mtn.)
I would imagine he retired at an early age.
I first met him around 95 at an ALDHA gathering.
He is a great speaker, writer, inspiration and friend.

It doesn't take a lot of money to hike once you have no bills.
Sleeping in a tent is usually free.

neighbor dave
08-26-2011, 09:19
rumour has it that he drinks from the fountain of youth.

WingedMonkey
08-26-2011, 11:51
LOL he's not from Nimblewill Gap.

I was born in New York state and reared-up in the Ozark Highlands of Missouri.

In January 1998, I set out on my first uninterrupted long distance hike. That trek began on the Florida Trail, thence continued to the Cliffs of Forillon, Cap Gaspé Quebec, a distance of over 4,000 miles. During that time I took on the trail name: Nimblewill Nomad.

http://www.nimblewillnomad.com/biography.htm

Trailbender
08-26-2011, 14:18
I believe he was a doctor.
From Nimblewill Gap (between Amicalola and Springer Mtn.)
I would imagine he retired at an early age.
I first met him around 95 at an ALDHA gathering.
He is a great speaker, writer, inspiration and friend.

It doesn't take a lot of money to hike once you have no bills.
Sleeping in a tent is usually free.

Yeah, did my thru on $2300, last year, and I wasn't even consciously trying to be cheap. I live on very little, and the only major bills are my student loans. I could live on about $200 a month or less, without rent. I'd say $200 a month now, and less when I learn to be even cheaper. I don't care for buying or owning shiny things, I'd rather have freedom.

Sly
08-26-2011, 15:05
LOL he's not from Nimblewill Gap.

http://www.nimblewillnomad.com/biography.htm

A little quick to criticize. From your own link....

After retirement, I moved down on Nimblewill Creek, near the base of Springer Mountain (a six hour bushwhack), a picturesque rural community much like the Ozark Highlands of Missouri, near the little mountain town of Dahlonega Georgia.

DavidNH
08-26-2011, 15:07
Ive read his book 10 million steps. Great story!

WingedMonkey
08-26-2011, 15:29
A little quick to criticize. From your own link....

After retirement, I moved down on Nimblewill Creek, near the base of Springer Mountain (a six hour bushwhack), a picturesque rural community much like the Ozark Highlands of Missouri, near the little mountain town of Dahlonega Georgia.

Sorry if I disturbed you. I know how busy you are. I should have been more clear that he was FROM the Ozarks and not FROM Georgia, where he retired for a while before returning to Missouri where he still lives. My original LOL was that he was from Georgia not that that was where he he got his trail name. Nor was I criticizing Fiddle, merely finding humor in which part of the south is which.
Please forgive me.