PDA

View Full Version : Hiking with a kidney stone?

nitegaunt
08-26-2011, 09:14
Hey all, I had to go to the hospital about ten days ago due to some pain in the abdomen. Turns out I have diverticulitis which is an infection of the small intestine. Apparently, it's just something that people get and certain foods can aggravate it. I was put on antibiotics and that seems to have cleared it up. The other problem they found when they did a ct scan of my abdomen was a "nonobstructive calculus", which apparently means a kidney stone. I asked the doctor what to do and she said stay hydrated and that was about it. There seems to be no way to know when or even if I'll pass this stone. After doing some research on the internet I've found that hiking seems to be an activity that can promote kidney stones due to the possibility of dehydration. I hike a lot, I'm not overweight, and I eat pretty good so the only thing I can think that may have caused this is being dehydrated over the summer. Since going to the hospital though I've been super paranoid about hiking. All I hear is how horrible it is to pass a kidney stone and I don't want to be miles away from a road when it happens. Anybody have any experience with these? Passing one in the woods? What are the chances it won't be that bad or I might even pass it unnoticed? I have been planning my thru for next year so I need some advice.

OldFeet
08-26-2011, 09:50
Several years ago I had a kidney stone and thankfully it was the only one. The painful portion is when the stone is moving from the kidney to the bladder. Depending on the size of the stone, passing it from the bladder isn't that bad. Mine was very painful for the first stage but there was some advanced warning. I was actually on a ski vacation with my doctor when I noticed blood in my urine and we scheduled an appointment for my return as a stone was what he expected. I don't know if this is typical but your doctor should be able to give you more info. As bad as my pain was it was simply pain and nothing that was life threatening so don't get too paranoid about hiking. My doctor gave me a script for tylenol with codine to take with me on trips just in case it recurred.

-SEEKER-
08-26-2011, 09:53
I have passed 5 of them. One had to be blasted, two passed in hospital after being admitted through ER. Last two I just passed them at home with the help of Vicodin.
I always presented with very visible blood in the urine and pain in the lower back. It has been my experience that they can start down the path of expulsion and then head back up into the kidney. Sometimes the pain is bad enough to make one throw up. You will probably have at least some indication if it begins to pass and can act accordingly.

Doc Mike
08-26-2011, 10:27
Actually thats an infection of out pouchings of the "large" intestine. But back to your question talk to yur doc before you go and ask about some "in case" pain meds. Stay very well hydrated. I certainly would not pass of a chance to hike on a possibility that something might happen.

nitegaunt
08-26-2011, 10:38
Thanks for the comments. I had experienced the diverticulitis symptoms before a few years ago and had deduced that was probably what was going on but I just needed it confirmed. That part isn't too worrisome, though, since it doesn't happen often and there are foods I can avoid that can trigger it. I am just paranoid about the stone coming on while I'm alone in the woods far from any hospital. For those of you who have had them, how long did they take to pass from the kidney to the bladder? Also, on the scale of worst pain you've experienced where would you put a kidney stone? I used to get migraines a lot and those I would put as the worst I've experienced. Even beyond broken bones and walking all day on a twisted knee with searing pain so bad it hurt to put my foot on the ground.

-SEEKER-
08-26-2011, 10:49
Unless you have a very large stone that gets lodged on it's way from the kidney through the tube to the bladder I'd say a severe migraine is worse. Vicodin will take the edge off the stone and drink, drink, drink water! I had one stone that hurt so bad it made me vomit, but I was still able to drive myself the the ER.

nitegaunt
08-26-2011, 11:38
Thanks, I guess I should just go back to the doctor and ask for some "in case" meds. I just wanted to get some feedback from others about it I guess.

Blissful
08-26-2011, 11:41
Take your cell phone and maps.

Shutterbug
08-26-2011, 12:53
Hey all, I had to go to the hospital about ten days ago due to some pain in the abdomen. Turns out I have diverticulitis which is an infection of the small intestine. Apparently, it's just something that people get and certain foods can aggravate it. I was put on antibiotics and that seems to have cleared it up. The other problem they found when they did a ct scan of my abdomen was a "nonobstructive calculus", which apparently means a kidney stone. I asked the doctor what to do and she said stay hydrated and that was about it. There seems to be no way to know when or even if I'll pass this stone. After doing some research on the internet I've found that hiking seems to be an activity that can promote kidney stones due to the possibility of dehydration. I hike a lot, I'm not overweight, and I eat pretty good so the only thing I can think that may have caused this is being dehydrated over the summer. Since going to the hospital though I've been super paranoid about hiking. All I hear is how horrible it is to pass a kidney stone and I don't want to be miles away from a road when it happens. Anybody have any experience with these? Passing one in the woods? What are the chances it won't be that bad or I might even pass it unnoticed? I have been planning my thru for next year so I need some advice.

When I was hiking the Colorado Trail, a kidney stone decided that it was time to move. I was two days from the next trailhead. I hiked for the two days without meeting another person. I remember thinking, "People don't die from kidney stones." Hiking with the kidney stone was one of the hardest things I have done, but I lived through it.

I have passed several kidney stones without a problem, but that particular stone required surgery. It has been my experience that I have never passed a kidney stone unless I have been dehydrated -- usually after a long flight. Since I have learned to increase the amount of water I drink, kidney stones have been much less often.

You asked, "What are the chances it won't be that bad or I might even pass it unnoticed? Based on my experience, it won't move unless you allow yourself to be get dehydrated. Drink lots of water. My doctor told me to double the amount of water I was drinking. If it does move out of the kidney, it won't be "unnoticed"; however, kidney stones don't leave any permanent injury.

It is probably a good idea to get the doctor to perscribe some Vicodin for your first aid kit -- just in case.

excuses
08-26-2011, 22:32
Had one of those too big to pass (10mm) ones. I hiked the SNP without to much discomfort. Finally got a lithotripsy and passed it all in about 24 hours. This was the 10th one in about 28 years. CT shows 2 more in the other kidney. it won't stop me hiking. just wish i could figure how to make some money from the pearls!

nitegaunt
08-26-2011, 23:56
Thanks again for the replies. Shutterbug, I was told to drink plenty of water by the doctor too but I was under the impression it was to flush it out. I usually don't get dehydrated but from what I've read being dehydrated can cause them. It's good to know that you guys were able to continue hiking with the pain. I'm sure it wasn't easy, though. I really can only take comfort in knowing that I have it so it won't be so surprising when it decides to rear its ugly head.

Trailweaver
08-27-2011, 00:34
There are a number of reasons kidney stones appear - being dehydrated isn't the only reason. There are also two kinds of stones - calcium and crystals. Drinking a lot of water on a regular basis helps keep them "flushed" out of the kidney before they get to be so large that they can't be passed without lithotripsy. (By the way, litho is not all that much fun, either - it also has some side effects you don't want over a long term basis.)

You should talk to your doctor, get meds to take with you for pain, and hike on. You never know when they hit, and they are very unpredictable. Renal cholic, as it's called when the pain starts, can have a gradual onset with a general "uncomfortable" abdominal pain and nausea for several days before the real pain starts. Usually (for first timers) it's more of a suden onset of severe pain in the back and abdomen. You will know when it's a kidney stone - for most people it's a 9 - 10 on the pain scale and they come to the ER doubled over.

We hope it won't happen on the trail, but if it does, take something for pain, start drinking water like crazy, and try to get to the hospital as soon as you can. You should also see a urologist if you haven't already, because if you have one stone now, you are going to get to know this doctor very well over your lifetime. Sorry for your bad luck.

nitegaunt
08-27-2011, 01:01
I know they have several causes but I feel like mine is probably due to either dehydration or calcium supplements which I have taken. Other risk factors I've heard of include things like obesity and leading a sedentary lifestyle. Also, it seems that some people are predisposed to them. I'm 38 and have never had one. I eat pretty good and avoid processed foods and I'm not overweight. I also hike pretty regularly do other physical activities. On the other hand, I've always tried to make sure I stay hydrated and I pretty much drink water and coffee or about 70% of my liquid intake. I don't know what caused it but I am aware of the grim possibilities. Have you had them, too? If so, what's your story and how would you rate the pain level?

jansom
08-27-2011, 11:03
I actually have a stone now and have passed at least two before. I say at least two because the first one passed after a night of drinking and I didn't notice anything until I had a urinary tract infection and was peeing two drops every two minutes. I've felt worse pain then a kidney stone. The problem with the kidney stone is the pain doesen't get better, it doesn't fade away or just start throbbing like an injury, it just always stays at that same level no matter how you move around. The current one I thought I would try and pass myself without seeing a doctor but the pain got so bad I was throwing up everything and ended up dry heaving and bringing up bile. I had to go the ED then as IV pain meds were the best way to get things under control. When I thru I intend to ask my doc for a supply of a narcotic that will last till I can get off the trail. The one thing that helped keep me distracted and able to deal with the pain was walking, I did alot of pacing in the ED, so hopefully the very act of hiking will help until you can get off the trail. Also, you may have some pain and then find it goes away. This does not mean you passed the stone, it may have just moved around and will begin to hurt again later so get it checked out if it happens.

MuddyWaters
08-27-2011, 11:18
It doesnt matter where you are when you pass it. There is nothing you can do to make it better. Just carry some strong pain reliver, like oxycontin. Thats all you can do, unless you go to a hospital where they knock you out for a few hrs. There is nothing a doctor can do for you at the time. If it doesnt pass they can try to break it up with lithiotripsy or do surgery to extract it, but that is done later.

Its not that the pain is that bad, its just relentless and wont go away. After a couple hours it drives you nuts.

Lyle
08-27-2011, 11:28
I've had multiple kidney stones over the years. Never considered it a side effect of hiking, more of diet and genetics. Just make sure you stay hydrated, should be doing that anyway. Tank up when easy water is available. As long as your urine is light colored or clear, you are hydrating fine.

Kidney stones are painful, but usually give a day or two notice (not always) when they are becoming problematic. I would suggest requesting that your doc give you a small prescription for some heavy-duty pain meds, just in case. Then if a problem develops, it will allow you to get to definitive medical treatment ASAP.

Kidney stones have been described as the one condition men get that is equivalent in pain to childbirth, but without the reward. That said, most are no where near that bad, something that severe, while possible, is the exception. They usually do hurt though.

While the stone itself is not life-threatening (only feels that way), the blockage and inability of your kidneys to drain adequately can cause severe, permanent kidney damage - not something you want to risk by ignoring or trying to tough it out. Seek treatment. I've been told to just drink fluids and wait, had ureter (between kidney and bladder) catheters placed to protect the kidney and wait, and had two run-ins with lithotripsy. This was just for the stones that I went to the Dr. about. I've also just diagnosed myself, increased fluids and waited a few times for less severe stones. Good thing about the very severe pain is that it prompts all of us to seek treatment quickly. :-)

Take reasonable precautions and quit worrying about it. Go out and enjoy.

caffeine
08-27-2011, 13:43
Careful with your coffee intake. 90% of the medical data shows kidney stones and coffee don't mix. In some cases, caffeine from high grade organic brewed coffee in super clean water actually helped break up the stone. This was the case of the yoga teacher at a seminar I attended who showed certain mild easy yoga poses to aid in kidney stimulation.
Learn a few deep breathing techniques, so you'll be prepared to stay calm in the event of any pain.

modiyooch
08-27-2011, 21:26
I suffer from severe migraines and I also passed a kidney stone. The kidney stone was far worse, but I passed it within a day of the first sign of pain. I cannot function on the trail with a migraine and for me there is no warning. With the kidney stone, you will know the first signs and have some time to react. The only reason I went to the ER was because it spiked my blood pressure and I didn't know what was going on. The only thing the ER did was provide me with pain meds. I asked to be released, and went to a hotel to pass the stone. I was out of town at the time.

MuddyWaters
08-27-2011, 22:13
My only kidney stone came on with absolutely no warning. Woke up in morning at 4am, got up to go pee, felt like I had a back cramp when I laid back down in bed. Tried shifting positions, no good. It took about 1 minute for me to realize what it was. Spent an hour walking around, hopping, crying before wife took me to hospital where they did the only things they will do:

1) take xray / ct scan and say "yep, you have a kidney stone"
2) dope you up to ease the pain, let you fall asleep
3) send you home with a screen to pee thru to catch it when it passes, and painkillers for if/when it hurts again.
4) Suggest that you make an appt with urologist for follow up.

This "treatment" costs you quite a lot of $$$ . All you need is the painkillers, and to see a dr eventually to make sure it passed.

modiyooch
08-28-2011, 07:46
The ER did even less for my child, because they assumed it was not a kidney stone because of his age.

nitegaunt
08-29-2011, 00:51
Thanks again for the replies. Seems like a wide range of experiences but they all have agonizing relentless pain involved. I guess I know what to expect, at least, and that's a good thing. It lets me know that I won't think I'm dying. It looks like it's a matter of just getting to the hospital and suffering through it. I've heard such varying reports about what causes them and how to avoid them that I am at a loss for what to do in the future. I just hope it goes as quickly as possible and I don't keep having them in the future.

lemon b
09-02-2011, 21:38
All in the water. When you feel it drink alot of water. Sometimes people mistake the back pain with a heart attack? Hiking will help pass em but as the other doctor already said just drink gallons of water while moving and that pain goes away.