PDA

View Full Version : Water between Thornton Gap and Harper's Ferry

wvcurf
08-26-2011, 09:54
Can anyone tell me anything definitive about the status of the water sources listed in the Data Book between Thornton Gap and Harper's Ferry? Specifically I'd like to know if anyone knows particular ones to be dry or still good sources of water. I've heard it's been relatively dry over there. I'll be hiking that section starting 9/4 and want to have the most up to date info I can on where I can count on having water.

Also, to those who are very familiar with the area, do you think the Hurricane coming through this weekend will have much of an impact for overall water availability by the time I get over there?

Thanks to all who can provide feedback.

wvcurf

Doc Mike
08-26-2011, 10:22
Have fun I'm doing 522 to harpers ferry and finishing the 5th so will be to late to update you but would also love any current info.

prsgtrman
08-28-2011, 15:17
i didnt the 522(carters gap) to harpers ferry the last weekend in july. water was not an issue. we did the hike in 2 days and went very light(didnt carry much more that a couple liters at a time and there was never a problem finding water, frequently. there was one spring that wasnt spitting out much(cant remember exactly where tho). that being said be sure to fill up at the blackburn trail center. its about .3 mile down to the shelter but water was very sparse from that point on into harpers ferry.

wvcurf
08-28-2011, 18:23
Thanks prsgtrman for the update.

Country Roads
08-28-2011, 20:25
Don't know current conditions, but I did hike those areas in rather dry years, so here goes. hiked in 2009. We watered up at Thorton Gap, next water was at Pass Mtn hut (flowing well), next was Elkwallow wayside, then a spring off Hogback (flowing well), next was Gravel Spring Hut (good flow); did not find spring at Hogwallow; Compton "spring" was pretty silty, but we filtered water through a bandana, then treated it well; next was Tom floyd wayside (slow flow, but doable).
Hiked in 2008: Started at Chester Gap - Tom Sealock spring had good flow; Spring at Denton shelter was very slow, but doable; Good flow at Goose creek (treat well!); Manassas Gap spring had good flow; Whiskey creek at Dicks dome shelter flowing well (treat well, houses upstream); All the streams that the AT crosses between Dicks Dome Shelter and Rod Hollow shelter were good (treat well). The spring at Rod Hollow was dry, but the stream you cross on the way to the shelter had pools of water. Most sources (creeks) between Rod Hollow and Bears den had good flow (treat); Sand Spring flowing well; Spring at David Lesser Shelter was flowing well (very good water!); No other sources from David Lesser Shelter to Harpers Ferry (at least none I would drink from). I would treat most water north of Chester Gap with chemical and filtration, since civilization is upstream of most creeks.

Doc Mike
08-29-2011, 08:15
Well the good news is the water level should be up after Irene. Country Roads I'm impressed, your notes from the trail are impressive 2-3 years after you hike.