PDA

View Full Version : Who is going to be out on the trail this weekend?

redseal
08-26-2011, 16:30
Yet another Hurricane Irene thread....but unlike the other threads this one is wondering who will still be out this weekend?

I have the next 10 days off and am planning on heading out. I'm either playing it safe and going to SNP, taking more of a chance and doing the LT SOBO from Canada, or even more of a chance and going SOBO from Stratton ME.

hikerboy57
08-26-2011, 16:36
Im not sure you're paying attention.I doubt the LT is going to be in any shape to hike, seeing that theyve already shut WMNF and baxter, the best advice right now is to get yourself in a safe location, and make sure your family and home are secure. You live in Mass?I expect even the smokies will be taking a hit.whatabout the JMT?

max patch
08-26-2011, 16:54
Hot as blazes :) but only a 10% chance of rain this weekend at Springer. I hope we see some of that 10%.

Mrs Baggins
08-26-2011, 17:01
Yet another Hurricane Irene thread....but unlike the other threads this one is wondering who will still be out this weekend?

I have the next 10 days off and am planning on heading out. I'm either playing it safe and going to SNP, taking more of a chance and doing the LT SOBO from Canada, or even more of a chance and going SOBO from Stratton ME.

Sounds like famous last words. So not impressed with people who believe "it won't happen to me."

Lone Wolf
08-26-2011, 17:03
only a fool would chance goin' in the woods :rolleyes:

Sierra Echo
08-26-2011, 17:11
Hot as blazes :) but only a 10% chance of rain this weekend at Springer. I hope we see some of that 10%.

Big black clouds here in Buford. I'm hoping a storm comes roaring off of Lanier~!
I will be on a trail this weekend, I just havent decided which one!~

ScottP
08-26-2011, 17:13
sounds like it'll be an exciting hike. I'd take the stance of "I HOPE it happens to me." 'It' being having some beautiful and rare weather going on around me.

Mrs Baggins
08-26-2011, 17:17
sounds like it'll be an exciting hike. I'd take the stance of "I HOPE it happens to me." 'It' being having some beautiful and rare weather going on around me.

And when you have to be hauled out by rescue personnel - hope you have the bank account to back up your bravado.

Sly
08-26-2011, 17:17
I'm about 30 yards from the ocean north of Boston. Something tells me I'd be safer in the woods in NH.

hikerboy57
08-26-2011, 17:18
ah to be young and fearless again....and insane.bring a trashbag for a rain poncho too.and dry firewood. and maybe a geodesic dome made of hi strength steel. and a SPOT, and emergency contact information.and a map.and a whistle. and a signal mirror. remember to hang your food.

ScottP
08-26-2011, 17:30
http://www.donmarquis.com/readingroom/archybooks/moth.html

rjhouser
08-26-2011, 17:37
How many hikers have ever died in a hurricane?

Mrs Baggins
08-26-2011, 17:49
How many hikers have ever died in a hurricane?

Who wants to be the first?

ScottP
08-26-2011, 17:53
doubt you'll even get that distinction.

It'll be a probably be a TS, if that, by the time it reaches the AT

Mrs Baggins
08-26-2011, 18:28
I once heard about some volunteers that were going door to door to get people to evacuate ahead of a hurricane. When residents refused to leave they were handed toe tags and told to fill them out so that their bodies could be identified. So if you're going to swagger out into the storm's path at least make sure you have waterproof ID and instructions for your final requests of the disposal of your body somewhere in your pack.

MedicineWoman2012
08-26-2011, 18:29
I live in Hatteras, Nc ...I thinK I would rather be in Smokies with that TS
:o)

MedicineWoman2012
08-26-2011, 18:33
By my calculation 12 hrs west of here at Fontana Dam seems safer ...than the eye of Irene on obx

ScottP
08-26-2011, 18:33
I once heard about some volunteers that were going door to door to get people to evacuate ahead of a hurricane. When residents refused to leave they were handed toe tags and told to fill them out so that their bodies could be identified. So if you're going to swagger out into the storm's path at least make sure you have waterproof ID and instructions for your final requests of the disposal of your body somewhere in your pack.

I've heard that line before. Rangers in glacier told me that they thought I was crazy, but wanted to know where I was going so they could find my body once the snow melted. One of the most beautiful sections I've hiked

hikerboy57
08-26-2011, 18:51
troll sighting

Texico
08-26-2011, 19:26
Didn't see any ominous clouds around Buford today? I'm doing Hogpen Gap to Unicoi tomorrow. Hoping it will rain at least a bit. I have a new Patagucci Torrentshell P/O to test out.

MedicineWoman2012
08-26-2011, 19:38
ScottP...the moths story says it all!!! Sweet message!!

paistes5
08-26-2011, 20:03
Doing a short shakedown hike with Doublewide this weekend here in Nashville.

Blissful
08-26-2011, 20:11
Only 30% chance here, sunny on Sunday,you're fine to go into SNP, but its dry. Wish we had some of that rain, we may still get a half inch tomorrow maybe. Shenandoah Valley hardly anything.

Skidsteer
08-26-2011, 20:16
only a fool would chance goin' in the woods :rolleyes:

I'm planning to be on a mountain tomorrow night. 'Course the forecast down here looks pretty good. Highs in the 70's, lows in the 50's and a front row seat to watch Irene suck the heat North in her wake.

SMSP
08-27-2011, 01:21
Dont take lightly what a Tropical Storm can do.

Let's see, I live 2 miles off the beach (as the crow flies or whatever that saying is) in South MS.

2001, Tropical Storm Allison, we flooded. Allison came into Texas, I thought, no big deal, its over in Texas. She then took a right turn through LA and MS. We got like 15"-18" rain in 4-5 hours. Caught us off guard big time!

2005, Hurricane Katrina, did not flood, luckily, but got hammered by wind.

Tropical Storms can be a hit and miss.

The door to door thing is a scare tactic with the toe tags. Although. here in South MS, we are used to taking chances and not evacuating. Although, we did evacuate for Katrina. But a Cat 2, stay home; Cat 3, depends.

But, I do not think I would be in the woods with the possibility of a major storm system in the region. Remember, these things can change their paths.

SMSP

ChinMusic
08-27-2011, 01:30
It's just wind and rain.

Terraducky
08-27-2011, 07:39
White Mountain National Forest (http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/publications/Hurricane_closure_posting.pdf)....might want to have a look here:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/publications/Hurricane_closure_posting.pdf

(http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/publications/Hurricane_closure_posting.pdf)

mudhead
08-27-2011, 08:49
I wish I were closer to the WMNF. Someone go cross the boundary line somewhere and pee for me.:)

Quiet here on the coast of Maine. I think the tourists bugged out. Surf forecast is lame...

Now Woodsy in Western Maine, well, he's gonna get it. Lucky it's liquid.

House of Payne
08-27-2011, 09:34
While at the Osgood site on thursday morning a USF ranger walked through the sites and warned all the hikers there, incl myself, that they were 'closing' the forest at 5pm Saturday. We all needed to make plans to get out by that time. I changed my itinerary from my original trip and took one day away in order to get out for safety. When I got to the top of Washington on Friday afternoon I spoke to the ranger on duty and he explained to me that 90% of all AMC and USF forest staff has been told to vacate by 7pm Saturday. When I got to Pinkham late afternoon Friday their were AMC postings everywhere "Forest closure". I'm home now :)

hikerboy57
08-27-2011, 09:43
from wmnf, there will be no SAR availble sunday night, to stay off the summits.

Snowleopard
08-27-2011, 12:10
Travel to any trail from Mass will be bad by late afternoon, early evening because of heavy rain. Sunday will be worse; Monday should be fine.
By Monday morning you should know what the trail situation is. On the AT in NH or ME, there will be a lot of blowdowns.
The northern part of the LT is probably out of the worst of the storm, but you won't know till Sunday. My guess is that is your best bet, driving up there monday.

Snowleopard
08-27-2011, 12:12
Correction: Monday should be fine for travel from Mass, if there is no severe flooding and no trees or powerlines across the roads.

4eyedbuzzard
08-27-2011, 12:36
Man killed by falling limb - http://www.rockymounttelegram.com/irene/nash-county-man-dies-saturday-during-hurricane-659803

Mrs Baggins
08-27-2011, 13:50
Two people have died in NC - but hey, it's only wind and rain.

hikerboy57
08-27-2011, 13:52
too much of anything is usually unhealthy.

DLANOIE
08-27-2011, 14:58
too much of anything is usually unhealthy.

I think I could handle having too much $$$.

hikerboy57
08-27-2011, 15:03
I think I could handle having too much $$$.id give it all away, too much of a burden. Im determined to die poor(for the past 15years, my exwife has been working hard to ensure I realize my goal).

DLANOIE
08-27-2011, 16:19
lol!!!!!!!!!!

yoU JUST MADE MY DAY.

Kermitt
08-27-2011, 16:59
Well it's beging to rain here, it was just 2 weeks ago that I meet many thought hikers I do hope they are off the trail this week-end. The weather is comeing right up the middle of New England.

Wise Old Owl
08-27-2011, 19:12
There is NO way I would be in the woods right now... and I bet if I set up motion capture camera - we would have three or four people hiking the AT this weekend.