PDA

View Full Version : trail majic, a karma related thought?

House of Payne
08-27-2011, 08:24
I was up in the whites this past week, spent 3 days on the trail and did some things in town while up there. At one point I passed a group of 4 college aged kids across from McDonalds in Lincoln NH, one with his thumb out. I went by and turned around and went back to see if they needed a hand. All of them had stayed in town that night and were heading back to the AT in Woodstock. I had my son with me and I explained to him what trail majic is (normally I don't pickup hitch hikers). Since I drive a pickup all I could offer them was a ride in the bed of the truck, to which they all agreed.
When we got to the trailhead about 5 miles away, I stood and chatted with them for a bit and picked their brains on how they were hiking their thru. They all added something to the conversation and seemed very nice and very happy to have gotten a ride.

My thoughts are if their is good and bad karma, I hope to get some of what I gave back when my turn comes to be out there for months at a time.

hikerboy57
08-27-2011, 10:04
I just did the grafon loop eastern half last week, had to htch back to my car. about 10 vehicles passed before I was picked up by two nice ladies from CT out to do some hiking. When I picked up my car and was about to leave, two young ladies from Vancouver were thruhiking, needed a ride back to rte 2. I was happy to oblige, they were really cute and were haviing a great time. they thanked me, i drove back to Gorham, went to Walmart to grab some supplies, picked up two thrus with groceries headed back to the Barn. I find if you consistently do the right thing, it always comes back to you.and i always feels great to be the giver.I have found the community of hikers to be the most caring , supportive people Ive met in life.its great to be a part of it.