PDA

View Full Version : Trail Electronic Entertainment

Thatguy
08-27-2011, 10:08
When I was on the AT this year I did something that for me was a bit different. For the first time in my backpacking endeavors I took an iPod touch. During my first week on the trail I made it to a shelter and was exhausted. It was going to be a nice night so I set up my tent. After fixing myself something to eat at the picnic table near the shelter I socialized until I was tired. I was still too tired to sleep. I told someone I was going to my tent and watch a movie on my ipod and try to fall to sleep. A big debate errupted over electronics and watching movies on the trail. It seem there were people who felt I was ruining the trail experience by bringing modern society into it. I was supported by two people who got out their iPads from their packs and waved them. The hikers at the shelter were amazingly split 50/50 on the issue. I say if you're so dedicated to leaving modern society behind then don't bring your cell phones. Am I off base here?

hikerboy57
08-27-2011, 10:14
Id say if you were watching it in a shelter, its an intrusion, or if you have the volume up so others can hear it, its an intrusion, and you need to be respectful of otheres"wilderness" experience. as far as cell phones, in the mountains, theyre usually dead weight as they dont work, and most times in the places you would probably need them the most.But if you're being respectful of others enjoyment of Mother nature, I dont see an issue.Personally, I find it refreshing to be away from all this stuff when Im on trail for a week or two, but Im not sure I wouldnt appreciate a kindle or ipad on a 5-6 month thru.

Jeff
08-27-2011, 11:31
+1 on hikerboy's comment.

Do your own thing...but be respectful of others.

LDog
08-27-2011, 11:34
I find that nothing is quite as satisfying as ire fueled by self-righteous indignation, don't you?

hikerboy57
08-27-2011, 11:42
I find that nothing is quite as satisfying as ire fueled by self-righteous indignation, don't you?
HYOH, just let me hike mine.

Sly
08-27-2011, 12:03
If people are worrried about having their wilderness experience ruined perhaps they shouldn't be staying at shelters.

garlic08
08-27-2011, 12:12
Probably the biggest reasons I avoided AT shelters was the number of electronic devices being used, for entertainment and communication. Cell phones seem to bring out rudeness and carelessness in people. But it's easy to avoid the shelters and people on the AT, so why bother worrying about it? It certainly won't make any difference. As much as I dislike the devices, I don't believe they should be banned in the woods. I may even buy one and carry it on a trail some day.

hikerboy57
08-27-2011, 12:14
If people are worrried about having their wilderness experience ruined perhaps they shouldn't be staying at shelters.Ill take my tent over a shelter any day, unless they weather is going to be truly s*****, cleaner, quieter,no earplugs.no bugs,mice.

k2basecamp
08-27-2011, 12:21
Ill take my tent over a shelter any day, unless they weather is going to be truly s*****, cleaner, quieter,no earplugs.no bugs,mice. Apple announces partnership with ATC. All shelters to be equipped with charging stations and wireless internet.

WingedMonkey
08-27-2011, 13:04
I told someone I was going to my tent and watch a movie on my ipod and try to fall to sleep. ?

Why would you announce what you were going to your tent to do? You must have wanted discussion on the matter or you would have just said "good night".

:cool:

58starter
08-27-2011, 13:12
Carry what you want and use it in your tent or away from others. I agree to stay out of shelters except in very bad weather. I like camping near a shelter because that is where the water is usually located.

jlo
08-27-2011, 13:32
I saw a great quote at the Blackburn Trail Center:

"Hike your own hike, as long as you don't make other people hike yours"

It was talking about LNT, etc., but it works for everything out there! If folks want to watch a movie, go for it as long as you don't bother anybody else. And those folks who want to experience life with no conveniences, go for it, as long as you don't give other hikers a hard time about their ipods.

jlo
08-27-2011, 13:33
Apple announces partnership with ATC. All shelters to be equipped with charging stations and wireless internet.

Yes!! Where is that "like" button again?

4eyedbuzzard
08-27-2011, 13:48
I'd rather you were talking on your cell phone or watching a movie on your iPod next to me in a shelter than doing so while driving toward me head-on on your way to the trail head. As long as you're not talking on it when I'm trying to sleep I couldn't care less.

Blissful
08-27-2011, 13:50
If people are worrried about having their wilderness experience ruined perhaps they shouldn't be staying at shelters.

Bingo..... :)

HYOH.

Blissful
08-27-2011, 13:51
I'd rather you were talking on your cell phone or watching a movie on your iPod next to me in a shelter than doing so while driving toward me head-on on your way to the trail head.

There's another Bingo. :) Cars swerving everywhere while people texting, fooling on the smartphone, etc.

Blissful
08-27-2011, 13:53
I agree to stay out of shelters except in very bad weather.

WHy? I have seen rain come right into open shelters getting stuff wet or very damp. A good tent keep you dry. But if I hear its gonna be bad, like this hurricane, I put on the miles for the nearest road crossing and town, of which there is plenty on a good deal of the trail.

LDog
08-27-2011, 18:01
HYOH, just let me hike mine. Absolutely. But there are those who don't live by those words, and who are quick to judge.

Trailbender
08-27-2011, 19:04
I carry my ipod, and listen to it when I hike sometimes. Sometimes I listen to it in my tent. I'd be willing to bet that a lot of the people that would complain about me using it don't have half the wilderness survival skills I do, so who is actually "closer to nature".

Anyways, do what you want. If I feel like listening to music while I hike, I will do so, and ignore anyone that had a problem with it.

Sly
08-28-2011, 01:10
WHy? I have seen rain come right into open shelters getting stuff wet or very damp. A good tent keep you dry.

I agree, and I'll arrange my pack so it's relatively easy to step up or break down when it's raining.

ScottP
08-28-2011, 10:37
I wouldn't hike without music+headphones. If anyone wants to complain, then I have a built in way to drown out their idiocy.