PDA

View Full Version : NOOB AT thru-hike clothing/shoes suggestions

thepokerkid227
08-27-2011, 15:31
Now that I have my basic gear list pretty much set, I am starting the task of finding and looking into the best/ligtest/most comfortable clothing and shoes for my early March NOBO thru-hike. Any suggestions? Again budget isnt too much of a concern as I am more interested in quality.

ChinMusic
08-27-2011, 16:07
You will get a lot of diff suggestions. Here is what I have found myself using for such weather.

Top:
Tee shirts (wool), Icebreaker Hopper T (two of these, gotta have a dedicated one for camp if the other is wet while it is still cold out) I don't have long sleeve shirt.
Windshirt, I have a Marmot version.
Rain jacket, I have Montbell and like it.
Those above items are all I need to hike in.
For camp I have a very nice down parka, I have the Nunatak Skaha Plus (this thing is the bomb). I was routinely cold on top at camp. Not anymore. This parka allows me to cheat on my bag weight a bit too. I would nearly never wear this parka while on the trail. It MUST stay dry at all costs. If you wear it and sweat in it......bad.

Bottom
UnderArmour Boxerjocks 9"
REI Sahara convertable pants. I wear these year round. Only one is needed.
Zpacks Cloud kilt instead of rain pants. My legs don't seem to get cold or I would swap that out with regular rainpants til summer.
Down pants for camp. I have a Montbell version. I do NOT hike in these. They are for camp only and just like the parka help extend the rating of my bag. If my hiking pants are wet, this is all I would wear for bottoms in camp/bag)

Head:
Buff, great utility piece of gear. Weighs next to nothing
Balaclava, have lightweight Loki version. This does not get used as much as the Buff is good enough while hiking and parka with Buff is usu good enough for camp. I still bring it as insurance.

Hands:
Any wool or rag gloves.
Overmitts, the Mountain Laurel Design version is sweet.

Feet:
Wool socks, Smartwool minicrews are my fave. 2 pairs works for me.
Down booties (ditch when it warms up a bit), I have Nunatak Teanaways (these things are SWEET). If below freezing just take off the wet socks and shoes and put these babies on. Again, can help extend bag warmth
Gaitors: Mountain Laurel Desings Superlight Gaitors. Once the risk of snow is gone I'd send these home. I've hiked enough in snow to know that they are def worth it to me with trailrunners in snow.
Shoes: Trailrunners (yes, even in snow)

4shot
08-27-2011, 18:54
for early March start, my list: - 2 pair of nylon convertible pants (I like REI brand), one long sleeve baselayer shirt (mine came from Walmart, of course no cotton), 2 poly t-shirts from Target, a lightweight fleece pullover from Goodwill, 3 pairs socks (may be extravagant but I can't tolerate wet feet),rain coat (North Face from steep and cheap)and pants (REI),wool hat and gloves (Army surplus store) and a down puffy coat (about $60 from Land's End and wads up to make a great pillow). I don't think it's necessary to spend alot on clothing but you can if you prefer. By the way, I am a boots wearer - prefer Asolo boots.

Blissful
08-27-2011, 19:52
I didn't happen to use gaiters. Felt no need to and kept my feet hot. Sent them home. Be sure ot have good insoles like Superfeet (check your foot type so you get the right ones). I didn't bring overmitts either, only found a couple of times I may have needed them, but not worth the weight imo. Regular polartec gloves were fine for me. No need for two t-shirts until the summer.
March start - (for me, started March 5)
pair convertible pants
2 pair wicking underwear (I took extra one to sleep in, but guys probably not)
smartwool long sleeve top to hike in
t-shirt to hike in (extra one for the summer)
polartec fleece top (sometimes need it also to hike in if cold, but good for camp. Depends on your warmth level. You may not need it. I kept mine through the summer, just in case)
insulated jacket (send home in May, back in NH)
hat (whole hike)
balaclava (I actually don't like it but some do, like my hubby)
gloves (send homen May, back in NH)
rain jacket (Frogg Togg or precip, or equivalent)
windshirt (rain jacket can double if needed, but I'd carry one they weigh nothing)
I took rain pants until May, back in NH
3 pairs of good socks (wil need to be replaced on the hike)
for camp - another long sleeve top and polartec fleece pants (send home in May, get back in NH)
Trail Runners - for me, 4 pairs for the hike; 4 pairs of Superfeet insoles. ow some go longer. I take care of my feet, that's just me.
Crocs for camp

Sleeping bag - I used three. My son did a 20 degree Cats Meow and then to a 35 degree for summer and back to 20 in NH. I did 15, to 40 degree, to 25 in NH)

vic_doom69
08-27-2011, 20:09
hiking clothes:
arcteryx ether crew ss shirt
under armour running shorts
under armour "spandex type" underwear
wigwam thin wool socks
salomon xt wings shoes
buff

hiking cold/raining:
arcteryx alpha sl jacket
softshell gloves

camp/town:
arcteryx ether crew ls shirt
tnf medium weight baselayer pants
montbell down jacket
miami dolphins rebook taboggin
bandana
under armour running shorts

this is what worked well for me on my thru, ditch the down jacket, gloves, baselayer pants when the weather warms and get them back in new hampshire

thepokerkid227
08-27-2011, 21:51
I think I have settled on a pair of shoes to get, the Merrell Trail Glove Cross Training Shoes. They seem to have good reviews and will give them a try and they come in at only 14oz.

LDog
08-27-2011, 22:05
Haven't done a thru, but I'm a Michigan boy, a skier and a snowshoer, and this is what I'm planning for a mid-March nobo start:

Worn - During the shoulder seasons this is what I expect to be wearing normally, with some heavier layers in the pack in case I need em:

Base layer - REI light weight merino wool
Boxer Briefs - Ex Officio
Long pants - Columbia Silver Ridge II
L/S Shirt - OR SoDo
Windshirt - Marmot DriClime
Socks - REI Merino Wool Light Hiker II
Hiking Boots - Salomon 3D Fastpacker Mid GTX
Hat - Merino Wool *
Bandana

In my pack during the shoulder seasons:

Down Sweater - Patagucci *
Smartwool NTS Midweight Zip T *
Smartwool NTS Midweight Bottom *
Socks - (2pr)
T Shirt - Smartwool Microweight Tee
Shorts - TNF Class V Zip Cargo Shorts
Underwear - Ex Officio Boxer Briefs (1pr)
Gloves - Mountain Hardwear Epic
Rain Jacket - Marmot Nano
Rain Pants - Mountain Hardware Epic Pants*
Rain Hat - Marmot

That gives me two pairs of socks for hiking and a heavier pair for sleeping, and two pairs of underwear that can be rotated/washed till we get to town. The down sweater is to keep warm in camp and during lunch stops, and to extend our sleeping bags. Heavier base layer is to sleep in. Shorts and micro tee for warmer wx/laundry wear (tho these might be left at home in a drop box for summer wear).

Come summer the light base layer, and windshirt, will stay in the pack. I'll wear the long pants till I can't stand em any more. Then it'll be the shorts, the micro tee and/or the L/S OR shirt. The boots will be swapped out with a pair of Salomon XT Wings light hikers. The down sweater, mid weight base layer, gloves, and rain pants will be sent home till we get up north.

Sensei
09-20-2011, 03:13
I'm feeling too lazy to type a lot right now, but I can tell you that literally every single thru-hiker I knew that finished the trail ended up in trail runners sooner or later. I did the entire trail in two pairs of Brooks Cascadias with SuperFeet insoles (one pair for each pair of shoes). As long as you wear good wool socks (Darn Toughs), you can hike all day through the snow in breathable trail runners and never get cold feet. Other brands of runners won't last as long: my friends that wore Merrells, Montrails, and the other most popular brands had to replace them fairly frequently. Brooks builds their shoes like tanks.